Woman Beaten Unconscious On Phuket Beach

webfact

I looked through all the online newspapers from Phuket and only one even had an article about her that I could find. No news about her condition however.

One paper, www.phuketgazette.net, has a forum but no one has named the restaurant. One person seems familiar with the restaurant and included his email address, so he may tell you privately. I would ask but Phuket was my least favorite place in Thailand so I don't intend to go back there.

Spent eight years in and out of Thailand-mostly up north.

Great country,beautiful people but something is definitely wrong with the place.

I left four years ago when it became abundantly clear that those of us that legitimately spent their disposable income in the country were being treated less than proper.

Bye bye Thailand.

There are much better places and people to enjoy.

Max, I live in the states and plan to move to Thailand in the near future, but now that I'm learning more about the violence I'm rethinking Thailand and am open to considering other countries. Can you provide information about which countries are high on your list and not too costly? PM is fine since it's a bit off topic.

Thanks.

I enjoyed Sri Lanka, spent some time there, war before was no problem. low prices,nice people. and easier for permits to stay.--....................on the other hand Iran-iraq-afghanistan-Nth Korea-Mongolia- Nigeria Zimbabwee--Sorry, I just got carried away :)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked through all the online newspapers from Phuket and only one even had an article about her that I could find. No news about her condition however.

One paper, www.phuketgazette.net, has a forum but no one has named the restaurant.<snip>

They probably did name it, but never expect the Gazette to stick its neck out and publish. As the owner once said: "They know where I live."

There are other news sites where the restaurant is named. Heard of "Google"?

Interesting that a woman nearly murdered and facing tremendous threat to her personal safety has the courage and the strength to assert herself. No, I'm not being a smartass, as I am genuinely impressed by her stand. One can see the negative aspects of this story, but there is an underlying positive in that the victim is trying to stand her ground. Too often we read about how Thai women are supposed to be scared and unsure of themselves and yet here's this little fruit seller and she's standing up to thugs.

Same thing for that judge who wasn't going to let some taxi scum bully her.

... finally ... a news publication, The Phuketwan, cites in their coverage the name of the alleged Suerin restaurant behind the attack ... family members of the beaten fruit vendor are quoted identifying Dab Restaurant as the alleged conspiritor behind the attack.

... the article is written about other corruption apparently endemic to Surin Beach, headlined by threats to a Thai judge by local taxi mafia and the Thai officials by whom they are protected

... buried in paragraph 17, about the fruit vendor beating ... check it out, it's there.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-beach-rumbles-grow-taxi-driver-alarms-judge-13523/

Edited by swillowbee

(... in my prior post, I mistakenly included a direct link to a publication against the forum rules ... for whatever reason, the 'Edit' key is unavilable to me, so I am taking the initiative to pre-emptively edit out the offending link and re-publish, assuming the entire post above will be deleted by the forum moderator)

... finally ... a publication cites in their news coverage the name of the Surin restaurant alleged to be behind the attack ... family members of the beaten fruit vendor are quoted identifying Dab Restaurant as the alleged conspiritor behind the attack.

... the article is written about other corruption apparently endemic to Surin Beach, headlined by threats to a Thai judge by local taxi mafia, represented to be protected by Thai officials.

... the restaurant name is cited in paragraph 17, covering the fruit vendor beating ... check it out, it's there.

... apparently, the Surin mafia and Thai government officials have perfected quite a nice little nest of corruption.

... Google "Phuket Beach Rumbles Grow: Taxi Driver Alarms Judge"

Edited by swillowbee

I hear all this talking about What SHOULD be done by the Police, but no one has walked over to this bar and tossed a bottle of "Fire Water" through the doors. That is the Language they understand.

I went there last Saturday.

The car park was nearly full but I found a spot facing away from the beach. No tuk-tuk or taxi mafia guys said anything although there were plenty of shady looking characters milling around the various "Taxi" salas that they'd set up there.

I couldn't find the restaurant - didn't want to walk on the sand as it was covered five rows deep in sun loungers inhabited by largely pale to pink skinned, slightly to grossly overweight foreigners smelling of sun tan lotion and cigarette smoke.

I'm afraid Surin beach has gone the way of Patong - too crowded, jet-skis, beach encroachment & motocy's for hire everywhere.

I had a khao pad gai kai dow in Nok's Seafood restaurant for which I'd give 4 out of 10.

I was very happy to leave the place with all four tyres still inflated and no new scratches on my pick-up.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back again.