Drunk Swedish Diplomat Runs Checkpoint

george

Diplomat runs checkpoint

BANGKOK: -- A Swedish diplomatic official, allegedly driving while drunk, tried to jump a police checkpoint and later threatened officers, police said yesterday.

Adam Grimla, who works for the Royal Swedish Embassy in Bangkok, refused to stop at a checkpoint outside Siam Hotel on Phetburi Road, whereupon Sgt-Major Surasak Tiaochaiyapum and Lance-Corporal Boworn Ponrit gave chase, according to the police report. Surasak said that during the chase Grimla suddenly stepped on the brake of his Honda Accord in an apparent attempt to provoke a rear-end collision with the pursuing police car.

The officer added that he had barely managed to avert a crash.

A subsequent breathalyser test showed the Swede had a blood-alcohol content of 90mg, which indicated he was under the influence.

Grimla was taken for questioning to Makkasan police station, where he showed police officers his official name card and allegedly threatened to pull strings with powerful friends to have the officers involved transferred to the deep South in retaliation.

He also allegedly roughed up a photographer for the Kom Chud Luek newspaper, who tried to take his picture. During the scuffle the photographer suffered bruises under his left eyebrow.

--The Nation 2005-08-28

Probably not the smartest thing to do, but great to hear that the photographer got a smack in the melon.Pesky , rude buggers.

I wonder if the Diplomat realised that failure to "blow in the bag" is only a THB1500 fine! :o

Many countries now regard driving while intoxicated to be a very serious offense because it potentially risks the lives of other innocent people. Do people on this forum think it is fair and just for a " Diplomat " to think he or she can simply do anything that breaks the law and just get away with it by hiding behind the " diplomatic status " ? I certainly dont !! :o

It`s different for minor offenses such as parking fines and such things but to do all the things this person did in connection with this offense - i certainly believe he or she should immediately be sent packing back to Sweden.

I was reading an article the other day and they interviewed 4 Thai celebreties.

The question was if you were driving home drunk and needed to go to the toilet. Would you stop at a closed petrol station.

Now not one of the people said that they wouldn't drive drunk. They all gave their answer like "I would .......

Not very good role models.

C

Many countries now regard driving while intoxicated to be a very serious offense because it potentially risks the lives of other innocent people. Do people on this forum think it is fair and just for a " Diplomat " to think he or she can simply do anything that breaks the law and just get away with it by hiding behind the " diplomatic status " ? I certainly dont !! :o

It`s different for minor offenses such as parking fines and such things but to do all the things this person did in connection with this offense - i certainly believe he or she should immediately be sent packing back to Sweden.

Drunk driving is not a serious offence here.In theroy if you have a dip passport, you can get away with murder...just like certain members of the Thai population. :D

Do people on this forum think it is fair and just for a " Diplomat " to think he or she can simply do anything that breaks the law and just get away with it by hiding behind the " diplomatic status " ? I certainly dont !! :o

Stating the realities of a situation don't necessarily equate to condoning or endorsing it... :D

Apparently, The Nation didn't bother to do fact checking before publishing. The guy is apparently a local embassy employee, not a diplomat. The Swedish ministry of foreign affairs say they are aware of the situation but will await the results of the local police investigation before deciding whether to take any action.

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=119&a=230501

In other words, there will probably be a "settlement" between him and the police and it is all forgotten.

Most times smile and move on through the road blocks. :D Must be a real character or other contributing factors. Diplomatic importance (threats) would have been better used with a single flash of the Dip's Passport. :D GREEN LIGHT and off he goes. :D Wonder , what he was drinking and/or... ? :D Past tense anyway. :o

People need to remember that a lot of the folks employed at an embassy are not diplomats and do not have any type of diplomatic immunity. They will have an embassy ID card that the police will usually take with a fair amount of leniency. This guy obviously didn't have a diplomatic passport or diplomatic license plates on the car otherwise the police would have just waved him through.

Working for an embassy gives you certain advantages with the local police, however, this guy must have really screwed up to get their dander up to the point that he did.

And I do not approve of drink driving and I don't do it.

BANGKOK: -- A Swedish diplomatic official, allegedly driving while drunk, tried to jump a police checkpoint and later threatened officers, police said yesterday.

Adam Grimla, who works for the Royal Swedish Embassy in Bangkok, ....

Absolut madness! :D And imagine being caught anywhere near the Siam Hotel, as well. :D I wonder why he has not yet made the front page of Aftonbladet. :o

Adam Grimla, who works for the Royal Swedish Embassy in Bangkok, ....

Absolut madness! :D And imagine being caught anywhere near the Siam Hotel, as well. :D I wonder why he has not yet made the front page of Aftonbladet. :o

He has now been fined 4000 baht , no further penalties at all.

His future as an employee at the Swedish Embassy is however not yet decided.

The question was if you were driving home drunk and needed to go to the toilet. Would you stop at a closed petrol station.

Now not one of the people said that they wouldn't drive drunk. They all gave their answer like "I would .......

C

I showed this question to the thai people at the offcie and asked them if they saw anything strange with the answers. Not one of them reacted...

And it wasn't only drunk, I believe the wording was "pissed drunk"

Thailand could do without these pissshead idiots who look down on Thai people.

Unfortunately he will most probably get away with it...a jail sentence of a few weeks would at least teach him something.

Cheers,

Jem

Thailand could do without these pissshead idiots who look down on Thai people.

Unfortunately he will most probably get away with it...a jail sentence of a few weeks would at least teach him something.

Cheers,

Jem

He already got away with it apparently.

On a sidenote, this guy must be working in the consular/visa section. His attitude sounds just like a visa officer. They are used to have the locals bow for them no matter what crappy attitude they give them and no matter what rude questions they ask from behind the thick glass windows. That probably instills a feeling of "godlike powers".

I feel sorry for whoever have their visa applications processed by this moron in the future as he now knows he is above the law.

C

I showed this question to the thai people at the offcie and asked them if they saw anything strange with the answers. Not one of them reacted...

Have you also tried this on some swedes and see their answers?

If I asked you what you will do if you were rich, would you start answering me that you don't think you would ever be rich?

C

Have you also tried this on some swedes and see their answers?

If I asked you what you will do if you were rich, would you start answering me that you don't think you would ever be rich?

In my experience it is the Brits who are the greatest culprits when it comes to drunk driving among the falangs.