Death toll increases to 8 in Australia's flash floods

News_Editor

Death toll increases to 8 in Australia's flash floods

2011-01-11 09:58:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA (BNO NEWS) -- The death toll in Australia's most recent flash floods has increased to eight with over 70 people still missing, officials said on Monday.

Premier Anna Bligh confirmed the official death toll of eight, which includes four children, but the she said the toll is likely to rise with several people still missing.

Flash flooding in the past several hours have hit the city of Toowoomba and the Locker Valley, west of Brisbane. While several people remain stranded on rooftops, the most affected areas are Toowoomba, Murphy's Creek, Helidon, Grantham, Gatton, Glenore Grove, among other areas down stream, Bligh stated.

Thousands of desperate calls have been made to emergency services as the flooding cut off power and roadways, making rescue efforts more difficult.

"We know that we have people stranded and people lost. We are doing our best to protect our emergency workers," Bligh told Australia's ABC, adding that whole families remained unaccounted for.

"There's no doubt that we are now in a very different sort of disaster. What it is doing is testing our emergency response. It will test us as communities and as people."

Bligh also urged people to stay alert and constantly listen to radio reports as several areas remain without power.

Rescue teams have been reaching affected residents with the aid of helicopters and heavy vehicles from Australia's Defense Force and Federal Police, the paper reported. However, the harsh weather conditions have thwarted the Red Cross' rescue efforts, which has not been able to get into the affected areas.

"It is not a lack of resources that is hampering our effort - it is the very heavy weather that is keeping helicopters on the ground and keeping some of our SES out of the swollen rivers," Bligh said, hoping that the weather calms so teams can identify people still stranded on rooftops and begin searches for the missing people that have already been reported.

"This is, as I said, a grim and desperate situation and it's far from over - we are right in the middle of the emergency rescue response."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-11

Australia is a extreemely harsh unforgiving country and it's people are very resilient and will ride this out as only Aussies can do. This disaster comes on the back of the black Saturday fires in 2009 where hundreds perished and others are still trying to rebuild thier lives. These floods are going to get worse before we see an end. States to the south (N.S.W & Victoria) are bracing for heavy rains and the flow on from Queensland. Lets not forget the bush fires burning in the west. My condolences to the familes of those victims and lets hope those missing are located safe and well.

I went to work this morning in the CBD and by 11am we were told to evacuate our part of the city as the river was about to bust it's banks. Got half way home by train and could go no further because the floods had closed roads. Some saying it may be as bad as the 1974 floods. I can't see it getting that bad in the city, but it is definitely a shocker.

I went to work this morning in the CBD and by 11am we were told to evacuate our part of the city as the river was about to bust it's banks. Got half way home by train and could go no further because the floods had closed roads. Some saying it may be as bad as the 1974 floods. I can't see it getting that bad in the city, but it is definitely a shocker.

Here in Thailand Wallaby it has been non stop reporting on the Australian Network for the last 7 hours and the whole thing looks bloody terrible. They say he Brisbane river could burst it's banks later tonight. Take care of yourself and your family.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Hight tide now and heaps of rain forcast for days yet. Apparently next 2 days it will reach it's peak. Man the boats old chap.

Do you recall the topic about the Queensland Government aquiring Thailands permission to use thier rainmaking technology to break the drought? Guess what it works.

Just one Aussie to another before other members get upset. We Aussies can still smile in the face of adversity.

http://ninemsn.com.au/

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

Brisbane's inner-city workers are emptying the capital as floodwaters begin to break the banks of the Brisbane River.

The CBD has not been officially evacuated but workers are heading home as the city faces its worst flooding since 1974, when 6700 homes were flooded.

This follows flash flooding in Toowoomba and surrounding areas yesterday which has left at least eight people dead.

A number of other areas around Brisbane and Toowoomba are facing floods as storms continue across south-east Queensland.

Brisbane's public buses and trains will continue where possible, officials say, but CityCat and CityFerry services on the Brisbane River have already stopped.

Office towers on Eagle Street are emptying out, along with businesses in Fortitude Valley, and car parks in Brisbane's CBD have opened their boom gates, telling people to get their cars out.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said urgent modelling was being carried out to determine how the floodwaters would affect the situation in the capital, and west at Ipswich where evacuation alerts are also in place.

She said that floodwaters were moving into the catchment of the Wivenhoe dam, and from there it must be released at a controlled rate into the Brisbane River.

Earlier Ms Bligh reported eight deaths but warned of a potentially dramatic rise in the death toll from flash flooding across the region's southeast.

She said 72 people remained unaccounted for and that figure was also likely to rise after an 8m wall of water swept through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.

"We're hoping and praying that many of those 72 people have gone to safety overnight and will be found safe and well," she said.

"But given the circumstances, we hold very grave concerns for many of those people who are unaccounted for in this region.

"Many of the people who are stranded or unaccounted for are families and young children and some of those who have lost their lives overnight are young children, including a mother and two children in a vehicle."

Ms Bligh said bad weather was hampering search efforts where people were still stranded in "dire and critical circumstances".

She said there were "whole families unaccounted for".

She said half of the eight deaths confirmed so far were children.

"It might be breaking our hearts at the moment, but it will not break our will," she said.

An air evacuation is underway for 300 people at Forest Hill, west of Brisbane.

At Laidley and Oakey, emergency services urged residents to climb onto their roofs or find other higher ground and wait for air rescue after as many as 60 homes were hit by flash flooding.

Residents of Caboolture, Strathpine and Dayboro have also been advised they should evacuate to higher ground immediately.

Caboolture is now completely isolated and evacuation out of town by car is impossible.

Those in low lying areas who can do so should move to higher ground or prepare for rising water.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Hight tide now and heaps of rain forcast for days yet. Apparently next 2 days it will reach it's peak. Man the boats old chap.

Do you recall the topic about the Queensland Government aquiring Thailands permission to use thier rainmaking technology to break the drought? Guess what it works.

Just one Aussie to another before other members get upset. We Aussies can still smile in the face of adversity.

Perhaps a few bar girls to be flown over here to 'tide' me over. :D

My condolences to those that have lost their lives and their families, hopfully those missing are safe. This is a shocking event and very personal too as I have friends and relative in these areas. After 10 years of drought seems queensland is getting all that rain at once. My thoughts and prayers go out to the banana benders, look after yourselves.

Perhaps a few bar girls to be flown over here to 'tide' me over. :D

Wallaby, maybe a few ladies from Fortitude Valley might need somewhere dry to stay.

Edited by waza

Pastor says Kevin Rudd to blame for floods

AAP <LI class="date-and-time last">January 11, 2011 4:29PM

A CHRISTIAN pastor has blamed Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd for the floods devastating Queensland. That's because Mr Rudd "spoke against Israel" in December 2010, Daniel Nalliah from the Catch the Fire Ministries has written on his website.

"It is very interesting that Kevin Rudd is from Queensland. Is God trying to get our attention? I believe so," he said.

Mr Rudd, during a visit to Israel in December, called on the Jewish state to allow international inspectors into its nuclear facilities.

He also called for a halt to the construction of Jewish settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Mr Nalliah said every time America went against Israel there was "disaster in the land."

He sees the Queensland floods as a parallel.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/pastor-says-kevin-rudd-to-blame-for-floods/story-e6frfku0-1225985730895#ixzz1AhpTFjqF

A CHRISTIAN pastor has blamed Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd for the floods devastating Queensland. That's because Mr Rudd "spoke against Israel" in December 2010, Daniel Nalliah from the Catch the Fire Ministries has written on his website.

"It is very interesting that Kevin Rudd is from Queensland. Is God trying to get our attention? I believe so," he said.

Mr Rudd, during a visit to Israel in December, called on the Jewish state to allow international inspectors into its nuclear facilities.

He also called for a halt to the construction of Jewish settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Mr Nalliah said every time America went against Israel there was "disaster in the land."

Read more: http://www.news.com....5#ixzz1AhpTFjqF

What a dropkick..........

Read more: http://www.news.com....5#ixzz1AhpTFjqF

What a dropkick..........

Yes I agree 100% Definately a sandwich short at the picnic

It is a bit wet at the moment here in downtown Oakey, town is cut off , fresh consumables are getting low, but there are a lot worse off than us! our neighbour just rescued a family of 8 from the roof of their house , the people on our street will muck in to make them comfortable, its going to get a lot worse,rivers and creeks are still rising, the nearby Cooby dam has a few cracks , and a few home owners are panicking, the local golf club is holding a canoing tournament, thanks for all your good wishes :jap:

Twitter reports say that ABC Australia's 24 hour news TV channel is currently unblocked internationally as a service to overseas Australians. Normally it is not viewable online outside Australia. Now if only they would unblock it permanently.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

Thanks Whimsy......

Also on ABC Australia network via satellite. I lived most of my life around Toowoomba so rather close to home.

It is a bit wet at the moment here in downtown Oakey, town is cut off , fresh consumables are getting low, but there are a lot worse off than us! our neighbour just rescued a family of 8 from the roof of their house , the people on our street will muck in to make them comfortable, its going to get a lot worse,rivers and creeks are still rising, the nearby Cooby dam has a few cracks , and a few home owners are panicking, the local golf club is holding a canoing tournament, thanks for all your good wishes :jap:

Stay safe Nignoy, our fingers are crossed for you and everyone else back home in dangers way. :(

Toowoomba Flood 2011.01.10

Amazing footage of East Creek near Chalk Drive / Chalk Lane rising and washing away lots of cars during Flash Flood in Toowoomba on Monday 10 January 2011. This is some of the best footage I have seen of the Flood and was taken from the second floor of our office which backs onto Chalk Lane.

It shows just how fast the creek turned into a torrent and quickly flooded Chalk Drive and Chalk Lane.

I also got some video of where the creek crosses Neil Street and some video of the aftermath and the huge amount of cars damaged and piled on top of one another in the Chalk Drive car park.

With the incredible exposure that my video is receiving all over the internet and media worldwide I would like to encourage you to donate to the relief appeals.

You can donate to the Queensland Government Appeal at: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Or the Churches of Christ Care Queensland Flood Appeal here:

http://care.cofcqld.com.au/site/docs/...

Please pray for us. There are many people who are suffering through this.

I swam through our living room to recover stuff today.....no exaggeration. Chest high and rising. What a mess to clean later ! Unfortunately I am staying near a creek, and the river water banked up due to high tide.....right up the creek.

It's eerie....it is fine weather today....no rain since yesterday, and sunny for a lot of time today. But water still inexorably rising. Not a raging torrent here, due to being inland from the river.

Lizards and small spiders clung to me as I swam through the water abound our house. Accidentally let a small snake into house. Small marsupials either cringed or hopped away to dry land.

Edited by Latindancer

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8196200/brisbane-wakes-up-to-flood-devastation

Brisbane residents awoke to a foul scene of flooded, debris-strewn streets this morning — but were relieved the swollen river threatening their city had peaked at levels well below the catastrophic forecasts.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh warned the state was facing a reconstruction effort of "post-war proportions" and she said some Brisbane residents may not be able to move back into their flood-affected homes for months.

The death toll from the state's flood crisis, which has also devastated communities west of Brisbane, stands at 13 but there are grave concerns for another nine people.

Sixty-two people are still unaccounted for.

Brisbane River peaked at 4.45m around 5am AEDT — a full metre below the 1974 flood peak, which it was actually expected to marginally exceed.

But the reprieve did not come before thousands of Brisbane families lost their homes to the onslaught of floodwaters.

According to latest estimates from Brisbane City Council, 11,900 homes have been inundated and 14,700 partially flooded.

Another 2500 businesses would be fully affected and 2500 partially affected.

The streets are awash with river pollution, broken tree branches and wheelie bins, creating a formidable stench in some places.

Nine News spotted a refrigerator bobbing down one street at Chelmer along with other household items like books and hair brushes.

Some residents have returned to inspect the damage as the water begins to recede.

One Graceville resident, interviewed in a dinghy outside his water-logged house, told Nine News he tried to save his belongings by balancing them on chairs and tables before evacuating his house yesterday ahead of the floods.

"We've known it's [the flood] been coming for a while, but I'm just thinking there's a lot of work to do now," he said.

At Milton, the streets look like canals. But one mother said it was a "big relief" the floods did not wash as high as in 1974.

"We were pretty worried — and I have two scared little kids," she told Nine News.

At the inner city suburb of Southbank, eerie amateur video has emerged of deserted streets, with the normally bustling boulevards transformed into a watery ghost town.

Ms Bligh said most people in evacuation centres may be able to look at their inundated homes "some time" over the weekend.

"They won't be able to get in to clean them until they've had electrical certification and are made safe," she told ABC Radio.

"But they may not be able to move back into their homes for literally months.

"So, there is a very big dislocation effort we have to manage very carefully."

The Brisbane River will stay at its high level for most of today but may recede on the afternoon tide to around 4.3m, the Bureau of Meteorology says.

There was high drama early this morning when a brave tugboat driver guided a 300m stretch of concrete walkway, which had broken loose from its moorings, through the pylons of Brisbane's iconic Gateway Bridge without incident.

It seems the Ivanhoe Dam has dont a great job of reducing the floods peak, my son was lucky as it only got to his driveway. My heart goes out to those that were not as fortunate, those poor people have the heart breaking job of cleaning up and rebuilding. The worst part of it all is the rancid mongrels who are taking advantage of the situation by flogging boats and collecting for bogus charaties, at least the looting has been mild so far.