How To Teach Here And What I Need

djgambol

So you want to teach others with your life experience?. Now thats silly.

I didn't say that now did I?

Specific training is all well and good, but a degree in flower arranging probably won't help you a great deal though.

Again, how can you teach others when you haven't been taught yourself; In otherword, how can you educate others without Education?
TEFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA, etc. Far more helpful than a degree in landscape gardening IMO and IME!
If you're not formally trained

I agree with this.

or without a college degree at the minimum than you're not a teacher.  You might want to call yourself "over-paid baby sitter".
But this is nonsense. As I said you don't need a degree to teach EFL/ESL in the UK.

If you have a TL you're a teacher here, simple as that.

Enough of this "just winged-it attitude because we're here temporary". These people deserved better. They want to learn proper english not be the test subject for someone who needs a couple of dollars to survive.

No one is saying to wing it, I believe in specific training, but just 'cos you think you're degree in History helped you to be a teacher doesn't mean it's the same for everyon.

Just my opinion and experience is all.

Edited by kenkannif

So you want to teach others with your life experience?. Now thats silly.

I didn't say that now did I?

Specific training is all well and good, but a degree in flower arranging probably won't help you a great deal though.

Again, how can you teach others when you haven't been taught yourself; In otherword, how can you educate others without Education?
TEFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA, etc. Far more helpful than a degree in landscape gardening IMO and IME!
If you're not formally trained

I agree with this.

or without a college degree at the minimum than you're not a teacher.  You might want to call yourself "over-paid baby sitter".
But this is nonsense. As I said you don't need a degree to teach EFL/ESL in the UK.

If you have a TL you're a teacher here, simple as that.

Enough of this "just winged-it attitude because we're here temporary". These people deserved better. They want to learn proper english not be the test subject for someone who needs a couple of dollars to survive.

No one is saying to wing it, I believe in specific training, but just 'cos you think you're degree in History helped you to be a teacher doesn't mean it's the same for everyon.

Just my opinion and experience is all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. I think w're both could go on for days. You have some valid points and I do respect your opion, but I still must stand by my opion. Peronally, I would not want my kids to be educated by an untrained personel. Just because you're a native english speaker does not qualify you as an english teacher ..EFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA...or not.

BTW, flower arranging degree? . welll, i think you might be right :o

i am looking at working as a teacher preferably in khon kaen,does anyone have experience of working there or know what the job prospects/scene is like there.i stay there regularly and will be back there in april.

i do not have a degree in anything so am worried about the work permit and working legally.

i have pass marks in gcses but understand they mean nothing over there.i have a btec diploma in aeronautical engineering(i have been working as a technician for british airways for 15 years but have become disillussioned).i am also due to start at the beginning of the year a tefl course and teaching to young learners module thrown in with it.

i have very little experience with children other than 2 weeks work experience in a primary school before leaving school,and assisting with setting up and running a summer camp for 8-12 year old special needs children whilst in my apprenticeship with ba.

i am hoping this will be enough to get me work with a wage in the region of 30,000 baht.(i have some savings).

i want to work in khon kaen as my gf lives there and i stay there regularly(about 3-4 trips a year at 2-5 weeks each trip).

any comments appreciated.

steve

r3aps,

You will be able to get work in KK without a degree. WP might be a problem but I know of one guy who got one without a degree.

You don't actually need a WP here. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but things are very different from Bangkok. There is a lack of teachers here - especially the dancing white monkey variety.

r3aps,

You will be able to get work in KK without a degree. WP might be a problem but I know of one guy who got one without a degree.

You don't actually need a WP here. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but things are very different from Bangkok. There is a lack of teachers here - especially the dancing white monkey variety.

i take it you work in kk?if so what is it like and where if you dont mind me asking do you work.

do you know if it is worth me doing an online tefl before coming to thailand or do the tefl course i was planning in krabi for 4 weeks then try for a job in kk.

i dont mind doing the visas runs initially,i have done the laos run a few times on my stays in kk.i usually stay near choda park if you no it,next to my girlfriends village baan non ruang.

thxs for the replies.

steve

• 1 year later...
if you have visible tatoos or piercings or dread locks then forget it and if you don't have these and you are young, attractive, with a great smile and personality then that's all you need....assuming that you are a native English speaker more or less...actually being European and being able to speak English confidentally will satisfy the "native English" requirement.

Thanks Chowna, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I've read 1001 different yes you do need/no you dont need posts about degrees to teach which I unfortunately do not possess, but feel I meet the rest of the criteria...

Also heard being a little 'sanuk' helps, is this true?