4X4 Suv

We are moving to Koh Samui next month and will be looking to buy a 4x4 SUV such as a Pajero, Landcruiser, Toureg etc - can anyone advise on where we can start looking? I can see that prices in Thailand are incredibly expensive compared to other countries. Is it worthwhile buying second hand? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

have a browse through www.one2car.com , very easy to navigate...

if you are going to buy a new car, dont buy on samui, but buy from Bangkok

Why?

Are prices of new cars higher here?

yes they are

Prices of new cars are the same in Samui and Bkk (at least for Honda, Toyota, Ford,..)

Thanks everyone, your comments were very helpful. The website is perfect - just what I was looking for. Thailand is alot more expensive than the Middle East anyway - I bought a brand new VW Toureg here for roughly 1000000 Baht and from what I can see I would be lucky to buy a two year old Toureg for that price in Thailand. It is what it is though, and although the website is in Thai, it has given me an idea of what is out there and what I can expect to get for my money. Thanks

Thanks everyone, your comments were very helpful. The website is perfect - just what I was looking for. Thailand is alot more expensive than the Middle East anyway - I bought a brand new VW Toureg here for roughly 1000000 Baht and from what I can see I would be lucky to buy a two year old Toureg for that price in Thailand. It is what it is though, and although the website is in Thai, it has given me an idea of what is out there and what I can expect to get for my money. Thanks

all imporated cars are subject to 300 % tax here ! , thats why everyone drives more or less the same car !

did you find your way round www.one2car.com ok ? , they have 1,000's of SUV's for sale, but any car 1-2 years old, is only a fraction cheaper then buying new...

VW Toureg? Exotic SUVs like that can't be serviced here. Hard/impossible to get spare parts and you will find no buyer later. That's why people buy Fortuner, CRV and all the common staff. That will start with appr. 1.250.000 for a new one.

Better check the major car brand (Thailand) websites for that.

depending on how many people you want to haul around or how much payload you want to acrry the 4 door toyota pu is a good value for money and it will serve you well on samui. When looking at preowned cars or trucks be ware of the odometer reading; dont trust it! take a good look at the wear and tear on the interior and how firm the seats are, look for a any abnormal wear and tear on a 1yr or 2yr old veh. also if you find a 1 or 2 yr old veh with very low klm it may have been in a flood or a wreck, imo buying new takes much of the worry out of buying also in bkk you can haggle for many extras much easir than lowering the price, such as dvd player, mp3 sound systems, lights, trim, etc......