Question For Americans Living In Thailand

jay1970

A large block of good cheddar cheese.

Freeze it, wrap it in aluminum foil, something like bubble wrap for insulation, and then put a towel around it. It will easily last for a 48 hour journey. Good cheese is extremely difficult to find here, and where it is available, it is very expensive.

Freezing will cause it to become slightly crumbly when it thaws, but I would rather have crumbly cheese than no cheese at all. Most of the local stuff is edible, but that is about all you can say about it. There is a limited selection of imported stuff in the major cities, but the prices are astronomical.

Other gift ideas if you don't like cheese that are well within your $25 budget:

40 oz. container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

40 oz. container of taco seasoning.

1 gallon can of nacho cheese sauce from Costco

Liquid smoke

I have found all but liquid smoke, at Foodland

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem buying refried beans in the expat areas, and the price isn't bad, under 80 baht a can. As far as peanut butter, what is expensive here and sometimes very hard to find, organic pure peanut butter with the oil on top, no additives at all.

Edited by Jingthing

I was in Tops Central Silom yesterday and was surprised to see a gigantic Jelly Belly display. The entire end of one of the rows was devoted to Jelly Belly jelly beans in all their many flavors, in bulk, in packages, etc. etc.

Shouldn't be too surprising as Jelly Belly has a factory in Thailand...

You can easily get sweet relish in Bangkok if you're looking for some, even Tesco has Heinz

For sure? Or are you thinking of Heinz hot dog relish - which isn't really the same thing....

Most of what's been posted is available in Phuket, although I sure do miss Cholula hot sauce. Good tequila, as noted. Nestle chocolate chips (although Hershey's are widely available).

I've bought both Heinz hot dog relish and their sweet relish, can't remember which store has which as I eat both but it's available.

Agree about Cholula (and Tapatio), really wish you could buy them or something like them here. That's something I always want people to bring.

I was in Tops Central Silom yesterday and was surprised to see a gigantic Jelly Belly display. The entire end of one of the rows was devoted to Jelly Belly jelly beans in all their many flavors, in bulk, in packages, etc. etc.

Shouldn't be too surprising as Jelly Belly has a factory in Thailand...

Really? Do they offer tours?

How about a good exchange rate. I really miss that from America. :rolleyes:

Your right, if there was a "good" exchange rate, you wouldn't need to ask for very much from the US. I fear, however, that the only person that can deliver a good $/B exchange rate is Ben Bernanke, and he has his focus on the other direction. . . The Dollar is back above 30, but no way to tell how long it will stay there or whose "fault" it is.

So, for the OP, it is probably wine.... a good second choice given the available options.

mostly junk food........

kool-aid packs

s'mores poptarts..since they seem to be the only ones not avalible @ villa

tootsie rolls

starburst

twizzlers...possibly red vines

KC masterpiece lays

fritos honey bbq twists

little debbie oatmeal cream pies

sour patch kids

those peanut butter cups that are the target brand..whatever it is..those are really good...omg...or they also have mint cups..ahh i want that!!

anti-bacterial gel from bath&body works or other stuff from there...they are having a sale on their website right now

OR victorias secret scents ...even tho i know they sell them here...at random spots..they are over priced.. this is a good gift to bring people from America

perfume

sneakers .....

dried veggie flakes....i saw someone post this before...

whoever said lipton onion soup mix...i second that one...

lip smackers lip glosses

god.. i know i sound like a total pig...but these are the things i enjoy from home that won't spoil on the way over hehehe <3

edit**

o yeah..n those diff flavors of gatorade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by ihunnieibee

I am going to visit an American living in Laos/Thailand. Need gift ideas for him. Is there something that you guys miss from home that you can not get in Thailand? My budget is around 20-25usd.

Go to Walmart and buy a mix of any 3 bottles of the Australian Yellow Tail wines. Great wine at under $7 a bottle.:partytime2:

This is the exact reason, why I don't want to ask American. He may ask suitcase full of something..

Wine is good idea though.

It's too bad you can't just ask the American! In my case, I would want a suitcase full of matzohs

wine is not a good idea if he lives in laos

20lbs of Taco Bell, freeze it and pack it in dry ice.

Assuming that the giftees drink wine, wine is the correct choice. Other good choices: tahini, peanut butter, horseraddish, balsamic vinegar, canned garbanzo beans (assuming that they like hummus), southwestern US chilli powder, hot sauce -- these are many of the things that I wish someone would bring me (other than a new Vette, which is beyond your stated budget (and tough to get into a suitcase)). Bed sheets would also be appreciated. Can you bring a few things for me? :whistling:

everything you have requested is available in Bangkok. the hot suaces may be tricky, but can easily be mailed. as for the wine, we are still not sure if the person in question is in Laos or Thailand.

I have people bring motts clamato.

I cannot imagine ever having a craving for Taco Bell. When at our home I pass by a Taco Bell daily, We stopped there once in the past thirty years and did try to eat our purchases, but alas bad food does not go down well

I'll be purchasing next week in preparation for our belated move my very own electric tortilla maker to bring in June. My adorable Thai wife makes the best fajitas going right down to the proper pico de gallo , Her caldo de pollo es magnifico her ranchero de pollo es bueno. My latino cooking is Colombian in flavor arepas empanadas pan de yuca arroz con pollo. So if we don't eat good at home my friends have latino restaurants all over the city

I'd bring them good (not pricey)chocolate maybe Russell Stover caramels, not cream filled foo foo crap, good cheese an extra sharp cheddar crumbly with the occasional gritty crunch when you bite into it, if their southern bring them some grits, some nutella, almonds or pecans or walnuts. stuff you take for granted in the US can be nice to get there.

Can I borrow your wife for a week ?

Anyone remember Softscrub and REAL sponges? Also, Lipton's onion soup (major part of the "GM Diet"). THESE are the items that last filled my bags on my return trip. :rolleyes:

Yes lipton onion soup dry mix, mixed with a tub of sour cream is one of the best dips going.

I cannot imagine ever having a craving for Taco Bell. When at our home I pass by a Taco Bell daily, We stopped there once in the past thirty years and did try to eat our purchases, but alas bad food does not go down well

I'll be purchasing next week in preparation for our belated move my very own electric tortilla maker to bring in June. My adorable Thai wife makes the best fajitas going right down to the proper pico de gallo , Her caldo de pollo es magnifico her ranchero de pollo es bueno. My latino cooking is Colombian in flavor arepas empanadas pan de yuca arroz con pollo. So if we don't eat good at home my friends have latino restaurants all over the city

I'd bring them good (not pricey)chocolate maybe Russell Stover caramels, not cream filled foo foo crap, good cheese an extra sharp cheddar crumbly with the occasional gritty crunch when you bite into it, if their southern bring them some grits, some nutella, almonds or pecans or walnuts. stuff you take for granted in the US can be nice to get there.

Yes, sounds fantastic. I'm gonna have to research that tortilla maker. We got a 220v waffle maker from Amazon this past trip. Great stuff. Even brought back a bottle of real maple syrup!!!

Wifey does pretty good with fajitas also. But I miss a dish with homemade mole sauce. My favorite one was near the airport in Salt Lake City...unreal.

Anyone remember Softscrub and REAL sponges? Also, Lipton's onion soup (major part of the "GM Diet"). THESE are the items that last filled my bags on my return trip. :rolleyes:

Yes lipton onion soup dry mix, mixed with a tub of sour cream is one of the best dips going.

Love it! But not sure my cardiac surgeon still approves of that!!!! :(

This is the exact reason, why I don't want to ask American. He may ask suitcase full of something..

It's too bad you can't just ask the American! In my case, I would want a suitcase full of matzohs

Why is that? I've heard you can get cheap wine there, but I wonder if it has been properly stored. One day in the heat will kill a bottle of wine....

Why is that? I've heard you can get cheap wine there, but I wonder if it has been properly stored. One day in the heat will kill a bottle of wine....

Because Lao has an abundance of decent wines at realistic prices, unlike Thailand. Storage has never seemed to be an issue. perhaps its the French connection. I was there last week drinking a Pinot noir for 6.75 USD that was 1200 Baht in Thailand.

It would be like bringing your girlfriend to Nana.

Because Lao has an abundance of decent wines at realistic prices, unlike Thailand. Storage has never seemed to be an issue. perhaps its the French connection. I was there last week drinking a Pinot noir for 6.75 USD that was 1200 Baht in Thailand.

It would be like bringing your girlfriend to Nana.

Ha! Don't have a GF, but for sure wifey would not want to go to Nana! I'm even hesitant nowadays...

Yes, I've heard of the wine prices there, but being from Vegas, I know a day in the heat kills wine...even if left in your car in the heat. Here at Central department store in Pattaya, they have stickers on bottles where they guarantee it has been kept at a proper temp. But the prices are a bit too steep for me.

I just got back from Vegas and indulged for sure. That's one thing I really, really miss here...good and cheap wine!

Fritos Corn Chips you can usually get at Villa Markety, unless they are sold out. But the Licorice and Beef Jerky would be awesome as they are not available here. I cannot tell you how much I miss Teriyaki Beef Jerky and Red Licorice. This has to be one of the things I miss the most.