Not Happy

andrew55

[in my experience, the queues have always been short at that hour. I've always gotten through in 15 minutes or less. But for departing flights later in the day, I've used Fast Track , which costs 1,600 baht but gets you past the Immigration formalities in about two minutes. My company pays when it's a business flight, but even when I have to pay it myself, it's worth it to avoid the agro of huge queues and possible missing a flight.

Does this service entitle you to use the Fast Track/VIP area when arriving at BKK? Q31 on website FAQ's isa bit non-committal....

Cheers

It allows you to use the Fast Track, i.e., you use the special Immigration control area for arriving passengers with Fast Track vouchers. But there's no access to any VIP lounge on arrival.

Evil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[in my experience, the queues have always been short at that hour. I've always gotten through in 15 minutes or less. But for departing flights later in the day, I've used Fast Track , which costs 1,600 baht but gets you past the Immigration formalities in about two minutes. My company pays when it's a business flight, but even when I have to pay it myself, it's worth it to avoid the agro of huge queues and possible missing a flight.

Does this service entitle you to use the Fast Track/VIP area when arriving at BKK? Q31 on website FAQ's isa bit non-committal....

Cheers

It allows you to use the Fast Track, i.e., you use the special Immigration control area for arriving passengers with Fast Track vouchers. But there's no access to any VIP lounge on arrival.

Evil

Yes i flew out of international 11.55pm on thursday night & it was the worst lines I've ever seen at departure. It took me less than 5 minutes to check in at ThaiAirways desk :)

But the passport control lines came outside the glass door area into checkin <_<

I waited in this line 45 minutes to get my exit stamp but then the queues for the x-ray machines were also backed up all the way back to the passport control area. It was mental...

Immigration officer's were actually stopping what they was doing an taking photographs of what was happening...

I was steadily shuffling through for another 30 minutes, but the Russians stinking of alcohol came pushing through saying 20 minutes, 20 minutes. True or not i don't know.

Some Chinese were very keen to get through also

Its a horrible feeling, thinking that you could miss your flight or job!!

I was travelling light & alone but must be horrible with children or babies.

Worst airport experience of my life :realangry:

Its like 1000's of gallons of water trying to get through 1 plug hole :(

I have a CIP Fast track Card and was caught in the chaos at Swampy on 24th January. Even at the Fast track facility, it took me 55 minutes to get through immigration. However, I could myself lucky at not having to joint the outrageous queues I saw for people going through the normal channels. Whoever is in charge of the Thai Tourism Ministry should be challenged to take their next 5 international flights via the regular immigration lines (foreigner, not Thai queues!).

Yes i flew out of international 11.55pm on thursday night & it was the worst lines I've ever seen at departure. It took me less than 5 minutes to check in at ThaiAirways desk

But the passport control lines came outside the glass door area into checkin

I waited in this line 45 minutes to get my exit stamp but then the queues for the x-ray machines were also backed up all the way back to the passport control area. It was mental...

Well my experience couldn't have been more different.

Left Siam Square at 8pm on Thursday night for an 11:55pm flight. By 9pm I was airside and waiting for the plane. Waited about 60 seconds for check-in, two people ahead of me at immigration, no lines at security. The trip from the hotel took 45 minutes, so I was through in under 15 minutes.

I always arrive at least 3 hours prior to check-in, but can't remember ever taking more than 30 minutes to get airside at swampy. Line at immigration on entry was around 30 minutes in the queue though.

No issues. Flew out Monday 14 Feb.

TG409 to Singapore, departure 16.35.

I arrived 2 hours ahead. I have a gold card so check in was as usual swift. Chose the first immigration hall. As far as I could see all Foreign Passport booths fully manned - 2 immigration officers working at each station. Queues short - about 5 - 7 deep. Processed in around 10 minutes. Security lines for scanning were longer due to flow on effect from having more immo officers working. Still, through in no time.

Changi was actually the pain. Noice long taxi queues.

Edited by thehabs

I have flown in and out twice this month so far and I thought the first time arriving was bad with very long queues and very few desks manned but my arrival yesterday was even worse with the arrival queues stretching past the level part of the concourse leading to the desks and way down the sloping ramp. More desks were unmanned than manned.

I have flown in and out twice this month so far and I thought the first time arriving was bad with very long queues and very few desks manned but my arrival yesterday was even worse with the arrival queues stretching past the level part of the concourse leading to the desks and way down the sloping ramp. More desks were unmanned than manned.

Seems inconsistent. They don't seem to adjust staffing levels to allow for peak periods of arrivals. Departure greater problem as there's an aircraft on the other side you're hoping to catch, rather than a beer waiting in my fridge on the other side.

I have been out and back in the last week and all good. Outbound I fast-tracked but lines in halls seemed 10-15 deep. Acceptable. On arrival 1 hall 8-10 deep, next hall I was only pax!!

Here is a map of the departures level if the description above does not make sense.

The two immigration departure zones are the orange areas (west on the right side). Outside each are monitors showing live shots of the other;

level4.gif

Available at: http://www.bangkokai...ine.com/node/87 , which is the site I use to check if flights status.

I posted a few months back about the 'conga line' fiasco in the west (right-hand in the diagram) immigration hall. As a rule, regardless of what row I check in OR what gate the flight departs from, I avoid that west hall. Sure I may have to walk a few hundred meters further on either side of passport/security but beats missing planes IMHO.

Judging by the amount of officers manning the desks as reported in this thread, it appears the MOU doesn't take into account sleeping in, taking long lunches and extended tea breaks. Sounds as bad as inbound passport control at KLIA!

As far as I know, the CIP 'fast-track' lanes in and out are only accessible on certain classes on certain airlines and invariably with a special pass given out when checking in.

Point of note; my boss transited through Manila airport last Wednesday. He had a 3 hour transit between domestic and international and almost missed it. He said it was also a disaster area with long lines and what appeared to be hordes of migrant workers heading back to the mid-east after the hols. May explain why there's thousands jamming up the departures at Suvarnabhumi and bugger all coming in?!

Flew into LAX a few years ago The queues spilled out of the arrival hall and onto the tarmac. It took six hours to pass through immigration

Do Thai Airways flyers do same queue? I was downgraded to silver a couple of months ago but hoping gold again for Thai flight this pm BKK - SIN. What's best procedure?

A Thai Airways Royal Orchid Gold card does not allow you to use the Fast Track queue. If you fly Thai Airways first or business class, you do get their private fast track immigration counters on departure (just after the check-in counters), and those are very fast. I can't recall ever having to queue behind more than one or two people there.

Had a Thai colleague depart on a flight Wednesday night for a midnight flight. Although carrying a Thai passport and using the Thai outbound immigration queue, it took him 45 minutes to pass. I can't even imagine what it was like for non-Thais. I've seen increasing mention of really long immigration queues in frequent flyer discussion boards, and this is bound to start influencing options regarding Suvarnabhumi.

As an aside, I've noticed recently that I have been experiencing a lot of delayed flights where we are past the departure time and the captain comes on to announce that we have been delayed due to a missing passenger and their bags must be removed before we can depart. I suspect this might be due to an increasing number of people stuck in immigration. Delayed flights such as these are costing the airlines, and I'd wager that they will be applying some pressure as well. Delayed flights can also cause problems with air traffic control, since time slots are allocated for departures. There is a whole ripple effect here, beginning with angry and frustrated passengers to airline expenses to ATC issues. From my observations, the root cause seems to be inadequate staffing at the immigration booths since there seems to be plenty of booths, but sometimes only half of them are staffed.

Edited by bubba

Returned TG414 Friday. Bus to the gate, short walk to Immo area 1. As I approached I was confronted, coming in the opposite direction, the dreaded Chinese tour package, a monsterous sea of yellow following the lone flag. Most of the booths were unmanned. However, I would remember later, on a very empty tollway, that it was a public holiday. Initially queues everywhere, began stretching back to the counters/ramp. Panic set in amongst some as they dashed across the causeway to join a shorter queue. A Thai immo officer appeared (1) and opened 1 extra station. The mob descended, some potentially on par with a sub 10 sec 100m. Nonethless I was prfocessed in about 15-20min. It seemed the officers were processing rapidly. The previous long queues were much shorter by the time I was finished. I was especially pleased that the officer who stamped me sent the guy in front to the back of the queue because he hadn't filled in the visa card completely. Also there was a very old Chinese lady, no more than 4 feet, ruddy cheeks and an odor akin to a wet blanket, who had become seperated from the package and who provided all of us with a lighter moment as she shouted and berated everyone in site, including the immo officers, in her desperate and vain attenpts to get some help. The immo officers certainly got a laugh out of this moment.

The point about delayed flights is a good one. I have also noticed this seemingly happening more often. Since the great financial crisis all companies are rationalizing. Less staff, less support. Welcome to the New Order.

I have been living in Thailand since 2000, but coming in and out of here for much longer. What never ceases to amaze me is how long the media take to pick up on things like this.

As several posters have pointed out, the disruption this situation is causing with delayed flights and the flow on effect to flight schedules around the world must surely bring it to the media's attention.

More, the loss of revenue to King Power would also be considerable due to people waiting in a que rather than wandering around inside, must eventually bring it to the politician's attention, too.

But, so far we've not heard a peep out of the ministers responsible. If I am correct that would be the Interior and Transport Ministers - both BJP (Newin).

More as Newin and King Power are buddies, it is equally amazing nothing seems to be happening to solve the problems.

As for keeping the public informed... I've learnt over the years, we are the last to be told...

I have been living in Thailand since 2000, but coming in and out of here for much longer. What never ceases to amaze me is how long the media take to pick up on things like this.

As several posters have pointed out, the disruption this situation is causing with delayed flights and the flow on effect to flight schedules around the world must surely bring it to the media's attention.

More, the loss of revenue to King Power would also be considerable due to people waiting in a que rather than wandering around inside, must eventually bring it to the politician's attention, too.

But, so far we've not heard a peep out of the ministers responsible. If I am correct that would be the Interior and Transport Ministers - both BJP (Newin).

More as Newin and King Power are buddies, it is equally amazing nothing seems to be happening to solve the problems.

As for keeping the public informed... I've learnt over the years, we are the last to be told...

Without having searched I've seen nothing in the media.

I don't read Thai press unless it's the last paper on the plane but I do glance at main papers in Singapore and KL for 10 days a month or so, and been keeping an eye out for the topic.

I've seen bugger-all about it since this topic started.

ps. I think that these officers must not be answerable to this minister, King Power or anyone else.

Edited by andrew55

I don't read Thai press unless it's the last paper on the plane but I do glance at main papers in Singapore and KL for 10 days a month or so, and been keeping an eye out for the topic.

The Bangkok Post letter page had published numerous letters on the subject of late, and it was certainly mentioned in the main paper today, and I believe previously.

It's also been on Thai language TV.

The Bangkok Post letter page had published numerous letters on the subject of late, and it was certainly mentioned in the main paper today, and I believe previously.

Indeed it is in today's Bangkok Post. I think we are not supposed to post links to BP here, but have a look under Local News and you'll see the story. An Airports Council International poll showed Suvarnabhumi's "popularity among travelers" rating going from #29 in 2009 to #45 in 2009, and the story lays the blame on immigration delays. Immigration delays have gone up exponentially this year, so I suppose we'll see a further drop this year unless immigration does something to fix the problem, and fixes it quickly.

Indeed it is in today's Bangkok Post. I think we are not supposed to post links to BP here, but have a look under Local News and you'll see the story. An Airports Council International poll showed Suvarnabhumi's "popularity among travelers" rating going from #29 in 2009 to #45 in 2009, and the story lays the blame on immigration delays. Immigration delays have gone up exponentially this year, so I suppose we'll see a further drop this year unless immigration does something to fix the problem, and fixes it quickly.

Ok. I'll start looking past the comics.

I saw that piece, and the letters over the last few days in the Bangkok Post - which is what reminded me, that not much had been mentioned in the local print media. Not being able to read Thai, I asked my wife and son - who read the Thai Rath and Daily News - same thing. It's interesting one poster says, it was on Thai TV. That's at least a start.

But, my point is, those responsible, don't seem to either care, or seem to be doing any sort of damage control in the media.

Having lived here as long as I have, I am sure it's very possible, lots is being done behind the scenes.

And, in typical Thai government fashion, there is no thought to let us, the users, know our concerns and frustrations are being addressed.

They should understand the dangers of not doing this, when so many of those affected, are not Thai people.

Of course they should be more open to Thai people as well, but as all us long time residents know, this is not the first or only issue where this needs to happen.

let's all just hope there is a solution at hand - very soon.

Wait a minute. The airport hsa just been listed as #6 in the world on the Thailand News Forum. As I asked in that Thread, who actually asks the questions and who do they ask?

And what about the actual process itself. Changi - scan barcode, scan card, check head, see ya. I'm processed sub 1 minute. It's 2011. Where's the technology? (corruption?). Moreover, gold card with the National Carrier and I can't even fast track. But in KL (not with the national carrier) I can. It's simply bullshit (Melb Airport pulls this crap as well, the only available ATM's being ANZ). You have to get more vocal. At Changi on the way in,some anal security mole insisted on rescanning my work bag that sits in my office, unchanged and has been cleared countless times But she just had to get all worked up and do a rescan, told her it's a work bag, what can't you find, tell me, I'll show you, is this it. I'm sick of being treated like some naughty child or would be terrorist. She keeps everybody waiting while she flounders about, trying to find whatever it is. Have you any braclets in there (quote). &lt;deleted&gt;. Just tell me what you are seeing and we can end the charade asap and everyone can join the stampede to arrivals. (and fyi - I didn't raise my voice, didn't act petulant, I just stood my ground and made my comments).

And what about the actual process itself. Changi - scan barcode, scan card, check head, see ya. I'm processed sub 1 minute. It's 2011. Where's the technology? (corruption?). Moreover, gold card with the National Carrier and I can't even fast track. But in KL (not with the national carrier) I can. It's simply bullshit (Melb Airport pulls this crap as well, the only available ATM's being ANZ). You have to get more vocal. At Changi on the way in,some anal security mole insisted on rescanning my work bag that sits in my office, unchanged and has been cleared countless times But she just had to get all worked up and do a rescan, told her it's a work bag, what can't you find, tell me, I'll show you, is this it. I'm sick of being treated like some naughty child or would be terrorist. She keeps everybody waiting while she flounders about, trying to find whatever it is. Have you any braclets in there (quote). &lt;deleted&gt;. Just tell me what you are seeing and we can end the charade asap and everyone can join the stampede to arrivals. (and fyi - I didn't raise my voice, didn't act petulant, I just stood my ground and made my comments).

The outbound delays are a huge problem and need to be sorted out fast. It's reaching international press and bad for Thailand's image overseas. Missing flights because of exit immigration taking an hour plus is ridiculous. TAT should be shouting and screaming about this though I'm not particularly hopeful.

But seriously... chill... You're comparing the best airport in the world (Changi) to an airport in the developing world. Do you really expect barcode readers, etc...? Then you berate the same airport's security staff for doing their job. You want to be fast tracked because you have a gold card but you don't pay for a business class ticket. I didn't realise this was possible in KL but I am a Star Alliance Gold card holder and I have only ever been fast tracked anywhere in the world (on my own airline or otherwise) when travelling in Business class. This is standard.

I notice that you're a Habs fan (the Montreal Canadiens for those who aren't knowledgeable about ice hockey team nicknames!). I flew into Montreal a few months ago on Air Canada and had to wait an hour and 15 minutes to get through security then was accosted by the customs people. Between touchdown and meeting my family in arrivals took nearly two hours. Arriving at BKK has never taken more than an hour for me (perhaps I've been lucky?) and one of the big benefits for me is that flying in on Thai Airways gets me priority tags on my baggage. They almost always come out first ahead of the pack. Nice advantage of that Gold card ;-)

My wife and I fly out to Oz on Saturday - we'll get to the airport four hours early then enjoy the lounge if the lines aren't too bad. Hooray for that gold card. Travel is rarely a pleasant experience no matter where you go in the world. Some airports do it better than BKK, but a lot are just as bad or worse.

Sigh. This is why I rarely comment on this forum. Way to many antagonistic folk who do not consider long enough what has been written. 1. Swampy is a NEW airport 2. Security staff are sometimes combative. She asked me if I had any bracelets. I was more than happy to expose whatever she was unsure about, but I need to know where. 3. My Father is from Montreal. I played ice hockey in Australia. 4. You had a poor experience in Montreal Airport - was that acceptable? 5. I had to pay a bank fee at Melb Airport because of the ATM monopoly - is that acceptable? 6. Travel is rarely pleasant - no kidding, is that acceptable. 7. You want to be fast tracked... - is that acceptable? Many Gold Card members who spend lots of money to get the Gold Card might beg to differ. And fyi you can purchase a fast track at the Thai ticketing office. And finally 8. Evolution - "Some airports do it better than BKK, but a lot are just as bad or worse" - um, so how are they going to improve - feedback, comment, suggestions. Or it just happens one day.

The outbound delays are a huge problem and need to be sorted out fast. It's reaching international press and bad for Thailand's image overseas. Missing flights because of exit immigration taking an hour plus is ridiculous. TAT should be shouting and screaming about this though I'm not particularly hopeful.

But seriously... chill... You're comparing the best airport in the world (Changi) to an airport in the developing world. Do you really expect barcode readers, etc...? Then you berate the same airport's security staff for doing their job. You want to be fast tracked because you have a gold card but you don't pay for a business class ticket. I didn't realise this was possible in KL but I am a Star Alliance Gold card holder and I have only ever been fast tracked anywhere in the world (on my own airline or otherwise) when travelling in Business class. This is standard.

I notice that you're a Habs fan (the Montreal Canadiens for those who aren't knowledgeable about ice hockey team nicknames!). I flew into Montreal a few months ago on Air Canada and had to wait an hour and 15 minutes to get through security then was accosted by the customs people. Between touchdown and meeting my family in arrivals took nearly two hours. Arriving at BKK has never taken more than an hour for me (perhaps I've been lucky?) and one of the big benefits for me is that flying in on Thai Airways gets me priority tags on my baggage. They almost always come out first ahead of the pack. Nice advantage of that Gold card ;-)

My wife and I fly out to Oz on Saturday - we'll get to the airport four hours early then enjoy the lounge if the lines aren't too bad. Hooray for that gold card. Travel is rarely a pleasant experience no matter where you go in the world. Some airports do it better than BKK, but a lot are just as bad or worse.

What about the older travellers with weak bladders?I mean,what are they supposed to do?Lose their place in the queue and possibly miss the flight or wet themselves?

Whip out the little soldier and have a wazz there and then. That should clear a path.

All is not lost, according to the Bangkok Post the powers that be at the airport are examining the problem, they are preparing a report which should be presented to a committee in about two weeks, the committee will then discuss and decide what to do.

I assume this is their fast track approach.

All is not lost, according to the Bangkok Post the powers that be at the airport are examining the problem, they are preparing a report which should be presented to a committee in about two weeks, the committee will then discuss and decide what to do.

I assume this is their fast track approach.

Its hardly ROCKET SCIENCE, I thought it would of been very clear what they needed to do. rolleyes.gif