West Coast Of America

mikebell

I want to go to Las Vegas via Los Angeles or San Francisco. I am leaving round about April 15th. I can only find ONE direct flight to LAX and that is with Thai at 47000+. By breaking my journey at Taipei with Eva or China, I can save 10 - 15 k per ticket. Is there a cheaper non-stop flight?

That non-stop from Seoul would be the best alternative IMHO. Only 2 flight sectors with a well timed break about one-third of the way across. Plus ICE at McCarran have got to be better than their buddies at LAX no?

Did a quick search and the Delta ticketed flights look cheapest but that may include some layovers on the return hop.

My buddies like the LAX-BKK on TG (they are coming from Houston) and prefer it over Continentals Houston-Narita non-stop which I agree is a killer. There's also United via Narita with SFO or LAX as west coast entry points.

Nope. The Thai airways flight is the only one. Cathay and others fly into Taiwan, or Japan or Hong Kong (cathay). I recommend buying ticket with EVA air directly using their website. If you need a little more comfort, get EVA's intermediate class. For about $400 more, you get a bigger seat. Big guy here at work swears by it and I might treat myself to that on my next LOS trip. I personally don't think the Thai airways flight is worth it. The layover in taiwan only adds about 4 hours to the trip and saves you several hundred dollars. However, having said that, if you can book in advance, the Thai airways flight does seem to get down to about $1400 bucks so for convenience and time savings it might be worth it to you.

Airlines are only allowed to fly into the USA from their home country (unless they have some sort of layover on the way, Singapore stops in Tokyo, but thats the only one I know of) , and no USA airline that I have ever seen has a direct from LAX to BKK. As for the cheapest, I have been watching this flight quite a lot in the last year, and Korean and Asiana are usually the two cheapest, with EVA right behind them. Delta can be cheaper, but they do not fly direct to BKK, so you would have to transfer somewhere like Narita, anyway. Plus, IMHO, Delta is about the worst airline I have ever flown, and I cannot recommend them at all, compared to the two Korean airlines, who are always on the top of the airline ratings. I agree that Korean Airlines direct to LAS is probably the best option. Customs at LAX is an absolute nightmare, and Korean Airlines is highly recommended. Otherwise, Singapore direct to LAX is good, but not cheap, so you may as well just take Thai.

Edited by RaoulDuke

Airlines are only allowed to fly into the USA from their home country (unless they have some sort of layover on the way, Singapore stops in Tokyo, but thats the only one I know of) , and no USA airline that I have ever seen has a direct from LAX to BKK. As for the cheapest, I have been watching this flight quite a lot in the last year, and Korean and Asiana are usually the two cheapest, with EVA right behind them. Delta can be cheaper, but they do not fly direct to BKK, so you would have to transfer somewhere like Narita, anyway. Plus, IMHO, Delta is about the worst airline I have ever flown, and I cannot recommend them at all, compared to the two Korean airlines, who are always on the top of the airline ratings. I agree that Korean Airlines direct to LAS is probably the best option. Customs at LAX is an absolute nightmare, and Korean Airlines is highly recommended. Otherwise, Singapore direct to LAX is good, but not cheap, so you may as well just take Thai.

Well, you may have never seen a nonstop flight from LAX to BKK but Thai Airways does have one. It does not fly every day of the week but does fly on several days.

Go with Korean Air. I fly to BKK or PHN on them from ORD 4 times a year mainly because transfering in Seoul is so easy. Many things to do there on a layover and very nice people.

YES. The Seoul airport is amazing. Museums, free internet, loungers that you can sleep in, NICE free showers, musical acts, the list goes on. They make traveling tolerable!