More Toilet Talk

PattayaOneTeam

Koh Chang v Hua Hin

As usual I spent Christmas on Koh Chang with my wife.

We used to always spend Christmas in Hua Hin but after a while, great seafood aside, we became bored. We never swam in the sea at Hua Hin in many years of visiting, and nor did we want to spend time on the beach, as it was always too packed, although we did enjoy walking along, counting the huge jellyfish which always wash up.

I'd rather swim and laze on Jomtien beach (or Bang Saray) than go all the way to Hua Hin, but we liked staying in the town, using it as a base to visit the national parks, and eating superb seafood. I just think we went there too many times.

Then, a couple of years ago, we discovered Koh Chang, and I can't recommend it highly enough to visitors to Thailand, as a high quality, easy-access beach resort, compared to the trip down to the southern islands, and I take any opportunity I can get to escape here from Pattaya.

So again, this year, we drove the car down to Koh Chang, a pleasant trip as always, and boarded the ferry, anxiously wondering if my car would fall off the back of it, as it seemed heavily overweight, the bow door was open and water lapped around the car deck every time we hit big waves.

We tried to book into our usual hotel, but even when we had called them in November they were fully booked, which told me that this high season on Koh Chang was going to be VERY high.

So we decided to drive over on spec. and found somewhere just outside White Sands Beach.

This year, compared to last year, there are many more Russians and Scandinavian tourists around. The boat over was packed with boozing middle-aged Russians, and on Christmas Eve all the hotels on White Sands Beach had tables laid out for the Scandinavians to celebrate Christmas.

The packed beach and sea also told us that high season numbers on Koh Chang have increased from last year, no matter what the dodgy TAT airport arrivals statistics say.

When we want to find a quieter beach, it's very easy to do here.

Earlier we lay in the sea bathed in late-afternoon sun, watching huge black and white eagles soaring around the green, tree-covered mountains, before lazily dropping to sea level where they skimmed the water hunting for fish, just offshore.

The only downside to Koh Chang, which strikes me every time I come here, being a Cheap Charlie Pattayan, is the outrageous tourist season prices they charge for anything in the shops, and for taxis, trips, hotels, you name it. All exorbitantly priced compared to Pattaya.

But that's high season or you.

Another Room With a View

Travelling again through Isaan recently, we made another service station stop in an out-of-the way location.

I love our wanderings through Isaan, as I have said before, yet for some reason the toilets at the service stations fascinate me almost as much as the wonderful countryside scenery.

As my wife glowered at the teenager filling up the petrol tank, I used the time to empty my own, and I was glad I did, as I walked in to see this wonderful panoramic vista.

At first I felt it was a bit too alfresco and public for comfort (although maybe that's why it was called a “public” convenience), but I had magnificent views over the Isaan countryside as I made use of these facilities.

Note how dangerously close the electrical wires were however. It was definitely a time for precision targeting. [more…]

To read the rest of this article download the PDF here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/664-pattaya-one-issue-7/

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2011-01-15