One Year Marriage Visa

There seem to be a million posts on this topic but none that specifically answer my question. Excuse me but I am new to this subject.

I got a 1 year Marriage visa in Singapore 3 months ago and the 90 days expires this coming week.

I know I need to go to the nearest immigration office with my wife and report in and confirm my address but do I need to take any documents apart from my passport ?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Let me tell you what I have, and maybe that will help you.

I have a Non Immigrant 'O' Visa. It is EXTENDED every year, on the basis of being married to a Thai national.I report to immigration every 90 days.

Before I extended the visa, i.e. the first year, I had to leave the country every 90 days.

With a 12 month extension from Immigration you report every 90 days.

With a Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa obtained from a Thai Consulate you get multiple entries. Maximum 90 days each entry.

You have to leave the Country and return at the end of your permision to stay stamp.

If you can qualify for extension of stay - 400k in bank account in your name for 2 months or 40k per month income you could apply for extension of stay. If not you must leave but that can be a land border crossing if you want - just enter the visa information on return to get a new 90 day stamp.

Jeez..... I think I hava had some very bad advice about this, thanks for the help.

Lets see if I can get a flight somewhere !!!

A land border run will do, about 2000baht, I drive to the border and do it myself.

Re your visa from singapore, did you have to show any money in the bank?

Do NOT book a flight anywhere.

Go to immigration and bring:

Your passport w/visa and arrival card

1 photo

Copy of wife's ID

Copy of wife's "house book"

The usual financial documents, probably the same one's you used in Singapore.

Immigration form TM7

1900 Baht

This will get you your one-year extension to stay in the Kingdom. Then you will only have to check-in every 90 days.

This will get you your one-year extension to stay in the Kingdom. Then you will only have to check-in every 90 days.

It might if he can meet the requirements.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Not without the wife and a lot more paperwork.

Yeah !! all of that you guys but don't forget that " Tak Mae-sot immigration " if you come under that area you need Three months of 400,000 in bank or proof of 40K a month income, this may apply to other areas of which I do not know of.

Edited by Kwasaki

The rule is money in the bank for 2 months for the first application.

Some accept 2 months for future applications but many want 3 months.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Jeez..... I think I hava had some very bad advice about this, thanks for the help.

Lets see if I can get a flight somewhere !!!

A land border run will do, about 2000baht, I drive to the border and do it myself.

Re your visa from singapore, did you have to show any money in the bank?

Re Singapore, the advice we were given was 400K, but some people said because it was a joint account it should be 800k, we were covered for either anyway and just gave them a copy of a statement printed off the internet and they were happy.

Where do you go for your Border Runs, looking at a map Chong Chom or Chong Sangam seems closest to where we are, still a 550km round trip though.

Do you just drive there park the car, walk across stamping in / out and do the same back again ?

Do NOT book a flight anywhere.

Go to immigration and bring:

Your passport w/visa and arrival card

1 photo

Copy of wife's ID

Copy of wife's "house book"

The usual financial documents, probably the same one's you used in Singapore.

Immigration form TM7

1900 Baht

Although this seems a bit contrary to some of the advice given on here, this seems more like what my original understanding was.

It might if he can meet the requirements.

We can meet the financial requirements.

We have decided to kick off early Monday morning and head to Korat immigration, if we cannot meet the requirements and get the extension we will continue on to one of the border crossings South of Surin.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

For the extension.

You will need a letter from your bank stating the balance.

Updated bank book showing the same balance.

The bank account has to be in your name only.

Wife's House Book and I.D Card.

Wedding Certificate (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Register entry (Kor Ror 2)

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

You and your Wife we be questioned and have to sign a form.

You get given an under consideration stamp of 30 days.Go back in a month and get the remainder.

For the border run you exit Thailand and enter another country, turn round and come back unless you want to look around.

Unless visiting Malaysia you will need a Visa to enter another country. $20 for Cambodia. Get at the border, take a couple of passport size photos.

For the extension.

Copies of everything.

You get given an under consideration stamp of 30 days.Go back in a month and get the remainder.

For the border run you exit Thailand and enter another country, turn round and come back unless you want to look around.

Unless visiting Malaysia you will need a Visa to enter another country. $20 for Cambodia. Get at the border, take a couple of passport size photos.

And that is TWO copies of everything if you're applying for the extension in any Immigration office other than the main one in Bangkok.

For the extension.

Copies of everything.

We did an extension on a 30 day tourist visa last July at Korat Immigration, our bank book did not show the correct balance but I had an internet print out that showed a higher balance, I had no letter from the bank and the account is in joint names. They gave me a 90 day extension, when that expired, we transferred 900K into our Thai bank account and we flew to Singapore and got the one year "spouse" visa (Non-Imm, O, Multi entry). Basically that is what we were advised to do. My understanding was that before the 90 days expires we had to report back at Korat and there wouldn't be a problem. My wife and I have been together for 10 years, married for 7, her passport has multiple entry visas to Uk (and now a 10 yrs ME), also dependent visas for Dubai and Singapore, we have a house here and I think it is quite obvious to them that we have been together a long time and are not "bad" people, and no disrespect to any older forum members, but we are still both relatively young and I have been coming to, or living / working in Thailand since 1993. Visas were never a problem before because if I was here for any length of time they were taken care off by my employer.

This is a learning curve I am trying hard to get a grip off but I am sure we will sort it out...... somehow !

I do appreciate everyone's input here.

Thanks

John

Cannot comment on what happened at Korat Immigration last July as it seems to be highly irregular and outside the rules.

We can only give you the rules as they are. If you intended on applying for the 12 month extension you only needed a single Non Imm O Visa not a multiple.

All you can do is visit Immigration and see what they have to say.

At the very least you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your Wife. That will give you a bit of time.

Good luck and please let us know.

Cannot comment on what happened at Korat Immigration last July as it seems to be highly irregular and outside the rules.

We can only give you the rules as they are. If you intended on applying for the 12 month extension you only needed a single Non Imm O Visa not a multiple.

All you can do is visit Immigration and see what they have to say.

At the very least you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your Wife. That will give you a bit of time.

Good luck and please let us know.

To be honest, if I can get that I will be happy.

Thank you for your counsel and I will let you know what happens.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

This is the rule regarding the 60 day extension.

As you already have the Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa they will probably expect you to use that or apply for the 12 months.

It appears you obtained a conversion of entry from tourist to non immigrant (not an extension of the tourist visa) on the basis that you would when the money was in account the required time apply for an extension of stay. You did not do so but chose to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate. You now are required to exit every 90 days for a new entry or do as you should have done and apply for a one year extension of stay from Immigration with TM.7 form and 1,900 baht during the last 30 days of any entry. It is up to you if you want to do soon and after a year of doing 90 day stays. Just be sure money has been at required level for 2 months prior to the first application using TM.7

It appears you obtained a conversion of entry from tourist to non immigrant (not an extension of the tourist visa) on the basis that you would when the money was in account the required time apply for an extension of stay. You did not do so but chose to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate. You now are required to exit every 90 days for a new entry or do as you should have done and apply for a one year extension of stay from Immigration with TM.7 form and 1,900 baht during the last 30 days of any entry. It is up to you if you want to do soon and after a year of doing 90 day stays. Just be sure money has been at required level for 2 months prior to the first application using TM.7

Just to clarify.

The original extension last July, I am sure is just that, it is just a stamp stating my authorisation to stay for an additional 3 months with the dates and a signature, there is a small red stamp beside it with Thai writing and some numbers. We were told that this could not be extended and that I would have to leave the country after the 90 days expired and apply for my Non-Imm O at a Thai Embassy overseas, we chose to go to Singapore and got the Spouse Visa there. The first 90 day period of that visa expires this week.

Thanks again.

Edited by johnh101

That appears to be a 60 day extension to visit your Wife.

The stamp on the right refers to the Police Order 777/2551 dealing with extensions.

So yes you would have needed to go to a Consulate and get a Non Imm O Visa.

You only needed a single entry if you intended to extend at Immigration.

However you got a Multi Entry which gives you unlimited entries for a year. Max of 90 days each entry.

Apply for the extension from Immigration within the final 30 days of any entry.

That appears to be a 60 day extension to visit your Wife.

The stamp on the right refers to the Police Order 777/2551 dealing with extensions.

So yes you would have needed to go to a Consulate and get a Non Imm O Visa.

You only needed a single entry if you intended to extend at Immigration.

However you got a Multi Entry which gives you unlimited entries for a year. Max of 90 days each entry.

Apply for the extension from Immigration within the final 30 days of any entry.

Sorry, I can see one mistake I made. I counted Aug, Sept and Oct as 3 months = 90 days, when in fact it was not.

We are heading to immigration in the morning, thanks for your help....again.