Hot Water Pump

sezze

Hi ,

I'm going to build a solar water heater . The standard and cheapest systems are working with a pressureless tank , with a thermosyphon system . This is no problem . However , since it is pressureless , it s normally placed on the roof . This is a no go because of several reasons and one of them is that the pressure provided would still be nearly nothing . So , since i got a much better position on floor ( solarangle and looks) this is a very viable option . The only problem then is to get the water , which will be hot , to the inside of the house with more or less the same pressure as the standard pump ( mitsu ) . Are there readily available pumps present who have no problem pumping water which have a temp of 60degrees or a bit more . I guess the standard mitsubishi or Hitashis will be broken quite fast . THX .

Edited by sezze

I'd get a pump specifically rated for hot liquids. The pump shift seal and motor windings will be subjected to elevated temperatures? As you say, the thermosyphon system uses a pressureless storage tank so you need something to get the hot water inside your house.

Well , that was the original question , wasn't it B). I do have enough technical knowledge to figure pump ratings out , that's not the issue . The issue is which one is available in Thailand at a reasonable price .

I'd get a pump specifically rated for hot liquids. The pump shift seal and motor windings will be subjected to elevated temperatures? As you say, the thermosyphon system uses a pressureless storage tank so you need something to get the hot water inside your house.

Well , that was the original question , wasn't it B). I do have enough technical knowledge to figure pump ratings out , that's not the issue . The issue is which one is available in Thailand at a reasonable price .

Well with a reply such as this, you might be waiting quite awhile on an answer.

i am using since three years a normal pool pump (½ HP = ~365 Watts) which handles 90ºC hot water (run time continously 3-4 hours daily) without any problems. but in addition you have to solve is the problem of getting equal pressure/flow for your hot and cold water.

Well with a reply such as this, you might be waiting quite awhile on an answer.

Hmm , sorry . I did not want to offend anyone . However , i gave the original story and i was happy with the respons but that were just the facts again . It is just me ... do not worry about it .Maybe somebody had/has a same problem in the past or works with a different pump then the standard Mitsu /Hit who are capable of the higher temp ratings .

i am using since three years a normal pool pump (½ HP = ~365 Watts) which handles 90ºC hot water (run time continously 3-4 hours daily) without any problems. but in addition you have to solve is the problem of getting equal pressure/flow for your hot and cold water.

This answer gives me something to look for . 90 is hotter then i want the hot water to be anyway , so a very possible solution . Equalisation might be possible by using smaller pipes , so the pressure might be higher but the flow is reduced ( like trying to fil up a bucket with a pressure washer or with a 2 inch pipe . The pressure will be high on the 1 side but by reducing the flow will end up roughly the same ( or enough to work with ). thx .

If cost is a factor, you may still be better off with a tank that will take pressure.

The last time I looked in Global House, a steel water tank used for pressure systems was about B10,000, You could run at street pressure, no outlay or maintenance for a pump, and no electric cost.

If cost is a factor, you may still be better off with a tank that will take pressure.

The last time I looked in Global House, a steel water tank used for pressure systems was about B10,000, You could run at street pressure, no outlay or maintenance for a pump, and no electric cost.

That is even handier , yes . I thought they were more expensive and difficult to find . For a homebuild solar water system it is by far the best solution . A solar system which is build by a company is from 14k for small , 20k for a non pressurised 180l , and 30k up for a pressurised . In Thailand i think you do not really need the high end solar systems for hot water . sheer surface and isolation will do the trick .

THX a lot , this will certainly be looked at .

what street pressure? :o

what street pressure? :o

Yeah i know , pump pressure will be more like it , it is the idea that counts B).