Riding Into Malaysia

Cobrabiker

I am thinking of riding a thai registered motorbike into Malaysia, and have done some reading on docs needed, but still have some doubts hope someone can clear them up.

1) Green book, bike was registered in Bkk, I went to Pattaya Land Transport Dept, wanted to get it translated to English but was told (a) motorbikes do not need to be translated, (is it true? they are always police stop about 10 miles away from the immigration checking for proper docs according to the forum) (B) (b)have to go to Bkk to do the translation as it was registered there. I thought all offices can do the translation? what about selling bike in future, it can only be done in Bkk?

2)What other things are required for the translation? Do I need residence cert?

3)Do I need to get the license plate translated too?

4)What about thai driving license?

Thanks!

The process is the same for a car or bike. You need the translation of the greenbook/bluebook from Land Transport Department (Not sure why they told you they couldn't.) No proof of residency is needed.

Complete the Simplified Customs Declaration Form (Temporary vehicle export form). Give to customs at the boarder.

Your Thai license is valid in Malaysia if you are a visitor.

If you go to Sadao, the main crossing, after going through customs and immigration, about 50m on the right side is a row of shops. In there are at least two insurance companies which sell the mandatory 30 day insurance for about 700B. They will also make you a Roman letter translation of your plate for 30B-50B.

At the end of the row of shops is a detached building. Park where they can see your vehicle. Take in the greenbook and translation and insurance. They will issue you a small circular shaped certificate authorizing you to drive in Malaysia with a Thai vehicle.

When you return you don't need to do anything with the vehicle.

This is current as of October 2010.

Simplified Customs Declaration Form:

post-70760-0-48794400-1295264890_thumb.j

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Hi ScubaBuddha,I guess I can get the Temporary vehicle export form at the Sadao border together with the insurance right? Have any idea what time they open and close (Insurance & the office for the export form) Are they available 5am when immigration opens?

I understand that you rode down for the motogp, how was the traffic conditions from Bkk to border and how many hours it took for your case?

Are there also many police stop for coffee money in Malaysia?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Hi ScubaBuddha,I guess I can get the Temporary vehicle export form at the Sadao border together with the insurance right? Have any idea what time they open and close (Insurance & the office for the export form) Are they available 5am when immigration opens?

I understand that you rode down for the motogp, how was the traffic conditions from Bkk to border and how many hours it took for your case?

Are there also many police stop for coffee money in Malaysia?

You can download and print the form. I attached it.

Traffic is not bad. I don't recall how many hours. I take two days from Phuket to KL, two days back. Not sure if the insurance place is open at 5am. It's possible though. I would guess 8 or 9am.

Other than at the boarder, the Malay police generally don't do the checkpoint thing that Thai police do. At least I don't recall ever seeing one. If you get stopped it will likely be a moving traffic stop.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Btw, is translation of the green book only can be done at the place where my bike was registered, Bkk?

I have never heard that but if that is what they are telling you then maybe it is so. Rules vary wildly from one LTD to another. Maybe another BM can advise?

I'll add that many people don't do any of the things I listed when bringing a car or motorcycle into Malaysia and are fine. Just don't get into an accident or get pulled over or it may be big trouble. Apparently Malay police are not as fond of "tea" as their Thai counterparts.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Thanks Scuba, I will go LT dept again for another try, hopefully it can be done, anyway just thinking, not yet confirm about riding southwards.

Apparently Malay police are not as fond of "tea" as their Thai counterparts.

You are right, cos they are interested in "coffee" I think both have the same interest but just different in taste only! :)

Thanks Scuba, I will go LT dept again for another try, hopefully it can be done, anyway just thinking, not yet confirm about riding southwards.

Apparently Malay police are not as fond of "tea" as their Thai counterparts.

You are right, cos they are interested in "coffee" I think both have the same interest but just different in taste only! :)

"coffee" being more expensive per chance :D

Rode to Singapore in December, entered Malaysia thru Sadao.

Got my green book translation done in BKK cause that is where it is registered.

At border, dropped off translation, came back in a few hours, and was issued a white on black sticker which needed to be stuck on the bike to be visible from the front. Had to cut it in half, one half on fork tube, one half on slider.

Leaving Thailand you will be issued the temp export form. Don't loose it, as if you do not present it at the border when you reenter Thailand, and sign the book, you can not get the bike registered when a new tax disc is required.

Roads in Malaysia outstanding - no potholes, no cracks. Beautiful.

I went to DMV in Pattaya this morning, again they told me to go Bkk to get it translated, or I need to change my green book and license plate to chonburi province, so I think this is how the way it works here, has anybody got it done differently? Can it be translated at immigration office?

Hi Seedy, good to know that you have done it, I want to know how many days it takes for it to be translated?

Did you see any police stop about 10 miles down, checking for proper docs?

What will be the consequences if one goes in without the English translation, will they let you in?

I intend to go in at about 6am, but I think the insurance shops only open at 8am, does it mean I will have to wait until they show up? do you know what time they close?

Edited by Cobrabiker

I went to DMV in Pattaya this morning, again they told me to go Bkk to get it translated, or I need to change my green book and license plate to chonburi province, so I think this is how the way it works here, has anybody got it done differently? Can it be translated at immigration office?

Hi Seedy, good to know that you have done it, I want to know how many days it takes for it to be translated?

Before i rode to the MotoGP last October, I went to my local DMV in Samut Prakan for the translation only to be told I had to get it done at the Morchit head office. It took a few hours. This is for the Malay side; insurance, bike permit, temp license sticker etc. as they can't read the Thai in your green book.

As for the Customs Declaration Form, isn't this the two-page computer printout they give you after you show your passport and green book to the Thai side?

One page is given to Thai customs when departing, the second on re-entry.

Edited by RusticCharm

Before i rode to the MotoGP last October, I went to my local DMV in Samut Prakan for the translation only to be told I had to get it done at the Morchit head office. It took a few hours. This is for the Malay side; insurance, bike permit, temp license sticker etc. as they can't read the Thai in your green book.

As for the Customs Declaration Form, isn't this the two-page computer printout they give you after you show your passport and green book to the Thai side?

One page is given to Thai customs when departing, the second on re-entry.

Talking of getting the bike in how about yourself.

If your on a 1 year extension to stay I guess you need a re-entry visa from immigration. ??

Edited by Kwasaki

Hi Rustic, so it took you just a few hours to get it translated, but I read in the forum that some took 1 to 2 days.

Kwasaki,Thanks for reminding about visa issue, I am aware of it, I have no visa problem though, those who have new 1 year or 3 months visa need to go immigration to sort it out before exiting LOS.

Hi Rustic, so it took you just a few hours to get it translated, but I read in the forum that some took 1 to 2 days

When I handed the papers in at the booth (green book, passport and photocopies), I was told to come back to collect the letter in 2 hours. My riding partner also got it the same day as far as I'm aware.

And obviously those on one-year visas need a re-entry visa.

Speaking of Malaysia, I'm giving serious thought to riding down to KL for the F1 race in April.

Edited by RusticCharm

Can this be done at any DMV in Bkk or only Morchit, for the 2 hours speedy service?

As far as I'm aware and as others here have stated, you need to go to the DMV where your bike is registered. Explains why my local place sent me to Morchit. As for the 2 hour service, I've no idea. Something like this, you really need to go along and check.
Did you see any police stop about 10 miles down, checking for proper docs?

Don't know about you but I don't stop for organized crime syndicates just because they're wearing a uniform. Edited by RusticCharm

Hi Rustic, so it took you just a few hours to get it translated, but I read in the forum that some took 1 to 2 days.

It sounds like a lot of people have had it done it in the same day, and some may take two, as it did me in Phuket. Maybe I arrived later in the day. I don't remember. I suggest you prepare for it to take 2 days.

Ok, Roger over.

Don't know about you but I don't stop for organized crime syndicates just because they're wearing a uniform.

Well, as for me, I was always stopped for coffee, sometimes Cappuccino, other times Latte, that is why I want to know the latest situation, Hmmm, I guess they like my coffee so much that I always got pulled over :D

Btw, anyone has any info on the operating hours for the shops selling insurance?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Was not stopped close to border. More good news - at the Toll booths they have a special lane for bikes, no tolls required.

We got into Sadao around 1600. Took paperwork to border, checked into hotel, had shower and a bite to eat, went back and got the paperwork. Next morning 0800 ready to go with all necessary documents including insurance taken care of.

We were stopped North of KL - but nothing happened. Just wanted to talk about bikes, where we were going.

We got into Sadao around 1600.  Took paperwork to border, checked into hotel, had shower and a bite to eat, went back and got the paperwork.  Next morning 0800 ready to go with all necessary documents including insurance taken care of.
You stayed overnight at Sadao? What's the nightlife like there? It appears to be aimed at Japs.

• 4 months later...

Why don't you check with the professionals? www.gt-rider.com (Golden Triangle Rider) know absolutely everything and they roam entire Indochina (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc.).

What you need; depending on engine size, is a "Laisser-Passer", similar to cars. You can even get all-English plate(s) for your vehicle at a surcharge and off you go. I did it for my car and ended up in Dien Bien Phu without a problem. jap.gif

Lived in KL previously, so I'll chime in:

the Malaysian or at least the KL police DO have checkpoints. However, what I observed was an effort to catch drunk-driving car drivers in the night entertainment zones of KL. Bikes were typically waved on through, I suppose on the assumption that they had no ringgit else they'd be in proper four-wheeled transport (what us Cali bikers call Cages). Keep your visor down so they assume you're a Malay local, and you'll be ok... unless of course youre fallin-off-yer-bike-drunk cool.gif

Malaysian highways & freeways are open to bikes, much better than LOS on this score. As long as you can carry respectable speed, you'll be mostly left alone by the clowns in German cars. Fantastic road conditions in my experience, and loved the little paved cow trails that allow bikers to circumvent the toll booths!

Would love to do the MotoGP run this year.

Would love to do the MotoGP run this year.
I did it in 2008 solo on my Monster and last year (the 1st Ducati Asia Week was on in KL as well) on the 848 with another rider on a Hypermotard. The border crossing is painless and riding the elevated expressways through the KL suburbs is fun. Not sure my holidays match the MotoGP schedule this year though. Edited by RusticCharm

• 1 month later...

finally got off my butt and quit procrastinating

went into the hat yai DLT yesterday and got the green-book translation

totally quick and easy... about 30 min. and 25 baht.

now a few northern malaysia circuits will be in order - asap...

and of course, the obligatory 18 yr old single malt at the duty free

:D

Have fun riding there, I am still just out of reach to go across for some fun riding, not like you - a stone throw away...

Just remember to ride carefully!!! and no single malt while riding...

perhaps sometime (Insh'Allah) you may join us in the future - for a wee spin southward

i'll research a few shorter circle tours (for future reference!)

and of course not - no single malts whilst "carefully riding"!

although i have been known to indulge in an occasional "barley-sandwich" along the way

chok dee