Samui To Be Declared No-Smoking City

Friday, 14 January 2011 14:21Samui District Chief Sakchai Jor Phalit met with the island’s public health officials to map out strategies towards making Samui a no-smoking city.

The meeting, held at the Koh Samui Municipality, was also attended by other government officials and representatives from business and civicsectors.

The island’s public health department officer, Cherd Thongsook, said the move to keep Samui a no-smoking city was meant to protect the health not just of local residents and expats but also of tourists.

He said most tourists visiting the island are health conscious and they don’t want to inhale smoke wherever they go, particularly restaurants, entertainment places, bars, among other places.

further reading - http://news.samuiexpress.net/samui-to-be-declared-no-smoking-city.html

Yes it will be no smoking along with the taxis turning on their meters, safety helmets being worn and when the BIB actually start doing something. :blink:

When did Samui make the transition from island to city?

Edited by carmine

Actually - (red-ish face) :wub: I see that the dictionary definition of 'city' is:

"... an inhabited place that is larger than a village or town".

... which describes Samui .....

Hmmmmm.

R

No need for red face...its surrounded by water therefore you ain't wrong to call it an island.

calling it a city sounds as stupid as believing a smoking ban will EVER be implemented here on Samui. :D

tea money will be paid so places are allowed to be smoking. :lol:

Edited by carmine

Actually - (red-ish face) :wub: I see that the dictionary definition of 'city' is:

"... an inhabited place that is larger than a village or town".

... which describes Samui .....

Hmmmmm.

R

No need for red face...its surrounded by water therefore you ain't wrong to call it an island.

calling it a city sounds as stupid as believing a smoking ban will EVER be implemented here on Samui. :D

tea money will be paid so places are allowed to be smoking. :lol:

What are you on about? Of course its a city....what with the new toll bridge to Surat Thani having opened.......

Time for a smoke....:ph34r:

Samui is an island.

What 'city'?

Where is the 'city'?

What are these idiots on about?

(again)

R

Samui has the same rights as a city, a strategic step forward for the island and a way to control all the money coming in on the island/city and distribute or use that money on the island rather than having to give it away to the Changwat of Surat Thani.

This has been discussed at various times and lengths on this forum.

It's a complete joke, right? We have anti smoking rules nearly 2y ago in thailand but I still see so many restaurants have ashtray on tables and the smoking guests really dont care if next table a family sits with young children, still smoking...

I basically cannot understand how they going to implement things like this if there is much more serious things to do with many other thing.

Guys, come down from pinky skies and look around in the reality pls...

I already imagined the Anti-smoking tasaban police force going every night to Chaweng with a bunch of police alike dressed volunteers and seeking for smokers with a handy detector or ghostbusters kit to find who smoking in the restaurant or bar in Samui, hahaha... no way this gonna be happened, it will stuck with the many other things they going to find out but never enforce the law, see for example driving habits, bribe and mafia things and also complete nonsense of structuring, planning, management.

This news was sounds nice for the media only and everybody who look for info on samui on the web will find out samui is a very natural and nice place for families who want to spell a whole lot of money on their 2 week holiday...

My advice is for this comission who find out "very nice things" every 6 months, is it would be better if they hire a professional team from europe who have some experience how to do urban planning, holiday city management and overall the problem is not with the idea but with the enforcement, this never will happened until ppl change their mind and not smoke in public with the respect of the other, specially if young.

They would attract more attention if tell every house owner to clean up around their properties because Samui look so dirty and bed smell everywhere around the road, ppl feel better if they stay in their shiny hotel or villa...

Ideas would improve samui:

- Competetive airline fares,

- Ban smoky cars, bikes and enforce the rule of law on the roads,

- Ban the loud advertiser cars,

- Ban all of those indian and farang hookers try to sell their things and talk too much to the tourist,

- Take out the horns from the taxis as it not designed to be a bellring to attract possible naives who pay 400 baht for 2km ride...

This is the funniest news I've heard yet about what is going to happen on Samui. The police will have to fine themselves, all the bars and restaurants will just have families with screaming kids, lovely thought, it looks like the only place left will be under water. Ha ha ha, seriously this will never happen...

hope they ban the bblack smoke coming out of lorries that i regulary breath in when i am on my motor bike. Either the canser from that will get me or the crazy over taking the lorry to avoid it will..... probably need a cigarrette just thinkinghh about it

hope they ban the bblack smoke coming out of lorries that i regulary breath in when i am on my motor bike. Either the canser from that will get me or the crazy over taking the lorry to avoid it will..... probably need a cigarrette just thinkinghh about it

Haha, yes 100% agree, and bikes too not just the lorries... I like to tell them they have problem with the bike and usually smile back nicely and look like nothing happened they drive continue smokie :)

By the way, yesterday 4-5Pm in Bangrak i see some thai guy drinking chang beer and driving motorbike, that not bad too...

Haha, yes 100% agree, and bikes too not just the lorries... I like to tell them they have problem with the bike and usually smile back nicely and look like nothing happened they drive continue smokie :)

By the way, yesterday 4-5Pm in Bangrak i see some thai guy drinking chang beer and driving motorbike, that not bad too...

the guy how drives the Beer - Ice - Factory truck that deliver ice all over the north part of the island is always drinking a can of Leo !