Fleas And How To Kill Them In Thailand

girlx

My neighbors almost ran over a tiny puppy yesterday, and knowing I like animals they graciously dropped it off on my porch for me to take care of.... I realized too late that it is entirely infested with fleas. Since it has already slept one night in my house I assume my house is also infested. I gave the puppy a bath with flea shampoo and put a flea collar on it, but it still has lots of fleas (and very small whitish things which might be mites). Any information I can find online about how to kill them uses products that I can only buy in the US- any tips for exterminating fleas on an island in Thailand?

get some front line drops asap as well as the powder & spay for your house & strip all bedding & cushions etc & give thema good spray before washing them, then put some of the spray all over pillows & mattresses. These buggers get everywhere. Also check in between the dogs paws for tics & get rid of them too, you don't want a tic infestation in your house :o

I would suggest building a small dog pen in the back garden & tie it up out there, as long as it has sufficient shade & you leave plenty of water out there, then there is no reason for the dog to come in the house until it is flea & tic free.

how old is puppy? if he/ she has 3 mth old , u can use " Frontline Spot On" (merial product)

anyhow, from life cycle, flea live in surrounding also .. for get rid all cycle you need to manage around your place also.

1 boiled water ( clean puppy's bed cage ..etc)

2 natural pyrethrin as "Raid water Base" (see product in the supermarket , insecticide pase, coz it has low residue and degeneration when appose Light , in few day

3Baytical (ask for vet) u can dilute it an pour on floor (and u can use that solutiion and wipe it around pups)

Bambi :o

ps, flea is a caarier of "Tape Worm" you should deworming that pup . (zoonosis)

Edited by BambinA

i guess a trip to the vet is in order, as i can't find those products (ie. frontline) here (koh phangan is seriously lacking in many things). unfortunately the vet only comes once every two weeks or so to the island! any other tips in the meantime?

forget to tell u ...(errr how to call the machine that u use to clean floor... :o

VacumnCheck.jpeg

put the anti-flea tick powder in the bag and clean all floor

anyhow..if the pup has a sign of flea bites allergy (itching and alopecia around the hind part of body ..near tail) so, after ged rid the primary cause ,its better give pup with antihistamine as chlopheniramine and some steroid cream , maybe useful

Bambi

Ring road in chaweng just past Tesco Lotus heading towards Lamai, Dr Somsak, u can't miss it, he usually has a few cages outside with animals in who have had treatment, he sells an extensive range of pet products & is a really good vet. (n.b. last saw the surgery in March this year so anyone know of up to date info pls advise) Tescos also sell tick & flea products but for the right jabs visit the vet first.

car oils... i'm serious

Car oils? Don't forget puppies lick themselves - you'll poison the poor little thing. A bath if you can get him in it and stick some tea tree oil in it - kills everything and won't sting his skin or poison him. I think you can get tea tree oil over there, it's from Australia so maybe not. Even just water and detergent will help if you can't get tea tree oil. Good luck. :o

car oils... i'm serious

Car oils? Don't forget puppies lick themselves - you'll poison the poor little thing. A bath if you can get him in it and stick some tea tree oil in it - kills everything and won't sting his skin or poison him. I think you can get tea tree oil over there, it's from Australia so maybe not. Even just water and detergent will help if you can't get tea tree oil. Good luck. :o

I second the Tea Tree oil, none of the bugs like it, used it for nits (head lice) in the UK when they became resistant to the insecticides. Works brilliantly, you just have to treat several times because it doesn't kill the eggs.

hi girlx

the best you can use on a puppy is tick and flea powder, the one from 'sleeky' you can find in any store here in samui, guess in phangan the same. use quite a lot on the puppy and the fleas and mites will fall off dead within 15 minutes. be careful with frontline, for puppies under 6 months a no-no and also older dogs can get allergic or poisonous reactions, i don't use that. as far as i know there is a dog shelter there on phangan, i'm sure you can go there and ask for deworming medicine, and other things you might need.

don't worry too much about the fleas in your house, normally they only stick with dogs and die if none around, if you had the dog in your bed, just clean the sheets and spray surroundings.

if you like to take the pup on a trip to samui i can recommend dr. somsak near tescos or the new animal clinic, dr. utit, opposite the fair house resort, also on ring road, half km after chaweng towards lamai on the right side.