Getting Out To The Mountains From Chiang Mai'S Old City

DocHolliday2006

Hey guys.

I'm a pretty ambitious marathon runner and bicyclist, and I like to go out for long runs/rides.

Currently I'm staying in the old city of Chiang Mai (surrounded by the moat)

In the distance I can see some mountains, and I'd like to get away from the traffic and enjoy some nature.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable route from central Chiang Mai up to said mountains? I don't mind a few hours of peddling to get there.

Any street names you could give so I could find my way me would be welcome.

Also, if you're aware of any other nearby nature stretches I could get to, please share.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Sounds like you are probally looking at Doi Suthep Mountain.

Every Evening a LOT of Bike Riders head up the mountain to the Temple and Back.

If you are inside the moat ride to the corner where CM Ram Hospital and Kad Suan Kaew Mall are located.

Go past the Mall. This road is a MAIN Road called Huay Kaew Road which goes past Chiang Mai University.

Simply Stay on this Road and it will take you past the CMU, the CM Zoo and then it starts the Climb up the Mountain to

Doi Suthep Temple.

Approx 17 KM to the Temple. We walk up the mountain each year with about 10,000 other people on a full moon night

but have forgot which month it is now.

Enjoy...

Their is a Nice LOOK out View Point that Overlooks the City a little bit past the half way mark.

Find Highway 118 and head towards Chiang Rai. After you leave Chiang Mai you will be on the flat for a few Km then you hit Mountains pretty much all the way to Chiang Rai, or there are options to turn off the main road either left or right to go to Fang or Payao.

There is also information on here about cycling to Pai if you do a search as it's been discussed quite a bit recently.