Getting Married In Thailand

thecatman

I've heard some horror stories about the cost of the translation of freedom to marry cert. Can anyone please tell me what a "normal" fee is, and where it was obtained?

Re birth certs, surely that is covered by the passport?

Seems to be some disagreement about witnesses on the thread. Can someone who has been married recently please clear this up.

Thanks.

I got my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with my wife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the small mall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place I believe it's called. There were 2 translation companies operating there (small units side by side). I used Ploenchit Translation Center.

Maybe the horror stories you had heard were confusing the actual fee for the affirmation from the British Embassy, which is 2,725 bt (I think) and not the simple translation of the form into Thai.

I got married today!! We took my wife's father and sister as witnesses, but there were many other couples there getting married with no witnesses, so I guess that yes, the registrar and his/her assistant can act on your behalf.

With regards to the affirmation of freedom to marry translation, I should have added that once translated, the translated copy then needs to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi. The fee for this is either 400bt (and return to collect 2 days later) or 800bt and get it back the same day.

I've heard some horror stories about the cost of the translation of freedom to marry cert. Can anyone please tell me what a "normal" fee is, and where it was obtained?

Re birth certs, surely that is covered by the passport?

Seems to be some disagreement about witnesses on the thread. Can someone who has been married recently please clear this up.

Thanks.

I got my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with my wife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the small mall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place I believe it's called. There were 2 translation companies operating there (small units side by side). I used Ploenchit Translation Center.

Maybe the horror stories you had heard were confusing the actual fee for the affirmation from the British Embassy, which is 2,725 bt (I think) and not the simple translation of the form into Thai.

I got married today!! We took my wife's father and sister as witnesses, but there were many other couples there getting married with no witnesses, so I guess that yes, the registrar and his/her assistant can act on your behalf.

Congratulations, and thanks for your reply.

No, I've heard of someone paid 30,000 for the translation service!

Same argument followed in my household when is our anniversary? we married on Christmas Day at the amphur a date I chose thinking I would not forget.

My family and friends all came out in Feb to celebrate.

I've now been told that our anniversary will be celebrated in Feb so that the missus gets a wee gift and not just one at Christmas.

I think you have all the bases covered there. Mrs wife-to-be doesn't need a passport to get married, so don't worry about that one. I'm not sure about the need for witnesses either - the person behind the desk in the amphur and their superviser automatically become witnesses.

Not that I want to take any romance out of it for you, but it is basically a paperwork exercise to get a marriage certificate. The fun part is in the wedding ceremony in the village somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere

I wish you both all the best. I celebrate my 20th year of marriage later this year. It's been a roller coaster of a ride, but mostly a good time.

Thanks eefoo. Yeah, I got the impression that the actual marriage part was nothing to write home about...just another paperwork day....our Buddhist Ceremony/Wedding party day is all booked for March, that's when I have family coming over...was all a bit hard/strange for my parents to get their heads around as the process is different to back home.

Just out of interest...when do you consider your wedding aniversary to be?? I mean officially it is the day you sign papers etc, but as far as aniversarys/celebration between you & your wife do you consider it to be the day you sign papers, or the day of your wedding party/Buddhist ceremony (if different)??

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

• 1 month later...

Paid 600 baht for translation and went to MFA myself.

They had a package service for 2000 baht including translation and verified by MFA.

Had I known that it would take four hours then I had taken the package.

Had no witnesses with me, no problem at the Koh Samui Amphur.

Two lovely clerks signed as witnesses.

Who was offering a package service for 2000 baht?

Someone at the MFA? A translation service?

I need a cerificate translating and verifying next week, so would be grateful for any information on how to do it quickly and easily.