Getting Married In Thailand

thecatman

I will be getting married in Thailand in the near future, I am English, my wife-to-be Thai.

I would just like to ask, what documentation do I & my wife-to-be need to take to the Amphur in order to marry??

I already have the 'affirmation of freedom to marry' form from the Embassy translated (going to MFA in the morning)

Obviously I will take my passport + photocopies of main page and any 'stamped' pages & Birth certificate (+ photocopies)

My wife-to-be will take her ID card & address book, birth certificate (+ photocopies) but not her passport as it expired about 2 weeks ago. Is this a problem??

Are there any other forms we need to take??

Are there any other forms/documentation I need to get translated??

Thanks in advance for your help

Catman

I think you have all the bases covered there. Mrs wife-to-be doesn't need a passport to get married, so don't worry about that one. I'm not sure about the need for witnesses either - the person behind the desk in the amphur and their superviser automatically become witnesses.

Not that I want to take any romance out of it for you, but it is basically a paperwork exercise to get a marriage certificate. The fun part is in the wedding ceremony in the village somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere

I wish you both all the best. I celebrate my 20th year of marriage later this year. It's been a roller coaster of a ride, but mostly a good time.

I think you have all the bases covered there. Mrs wife-to-be doesn't need a passport to get married, so don't worry about that one. I'm not sure about the need for witnesses either - the person behind the desk in the amphur and their superviser automatically become witnesses.

Not that I want to take any romance out of it for you, but it is basically a paperwork exercise to get a marriage certificate. The fun part is in the wedding ceremony in the village somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere

I wish you both all the best. I celebrate my 20th year of marriage later this year. It's been a roller coaster of a ride, but mostly a good time.

Thanks eefoo. Yeah, I got the impression that the actual marriage part was nothing to write home about...just another paperwork day....our Buddhist Ceremony/Wedding party day is all booked for March, that's when I have family coming over...was all a bit hard/strange for my parents to get their heads around as the process is different to back home.

Just out of interest...when do you consider your wedding aniversary to be?? I mean officially it is the day you sign papers etc, but as far as aniversarys/celebration between you & your wife do you consider it to be the day you sign papers, or the day of your wedding party/Buddhist ceremony (if different)??

Edited by thecatman

Thanks eefoo. Yeah, I got the impression that the actual marriage part was nothing to write home about...just another paperwork day....our Buddhist Ceremony/Wedding party day is all booked for March, that's when I have family coming over...was all a bit hard/strange for my parents to get their heads around as the process is different to back home.

Just out of interest...when do you consider your wedding aniversary to be?? I mean officially it is the day you sign papers etc, but as far as aniversarys/celebration between you & your wife do you consider it to be the day you sign papers, or the day of your wedding party/Buddhist ceremony (if different)??

Regarding the anniversary date, if your wife is anything like mine you will have more than one anniversary date. We have the Thai Registry Anniversary on December 19th, the Buddhist Wedding Anniversary on Jan 2nd, and our marriage in America on October 13th. Please remember to buy her gold on each anniversary. Best of luck and congratulations!

mario299 :D

We take our Buddhist ceremony date but as being our wedding anniversary. It's worth while remembering the amphur registration date though if you go to immigration for a visa extension interview, that's the date they want to hear if they ask when you got married. We couldn't remember ours which was a bit awkward :-)

We take our Buddhist ceremony date but as being our wedding anniversary. It's worth while remembering the amphur registration date though if you go to immigration for a visa extension interview, that's the date they want to hear if they ask when you got married. We couldn't remember ours which was a bit awkward :-)

No need for the birth certificates.

Funny, we celebrate our village ceremony as our anniversary as well. Neither of us could remember the day we registered either. 5555

BTW, your parents are going to trip.biggrin.gif

Yeah, I got the impression that the actual marriage part was nothing to write home about...just another paperwork day....our Buddhist Ceremony/Wedding party day is all booked for March, that's when I have family coming over...was all a bit hard/strange for my parents to get their heads around as the process is different to back home.

If you can wait a few weeks, do it on Valentines day (Feb 14)

The Amphur Office is all decorated and they usually make a big deal out of it.

Two witness is a requirement and should not be those signing your documents (but often able to find others that can sign - normal to buy them lunch). There may also be a requirement to have a translator if foreigner can not read Thai as they are required to sign document and expected to understand it. Some offices speak good enough English to do themselves but others may want you to have someone else do it. Does not have to be an official translator, just someone with basic ability in Thai and your language. Spouse could be considered a conflict of interest as what you sign is a legal understanding and any conditions are contained in it.

good luck m8, your anniversary is obviously the day you two hook up and sign the cert. my wedding at the amphur in bangkok was a formal 15 minute affair then straight round to the vfs office to submit our papers, nothing special. then we had a good sized party in her villiage , thats the proper ceramony, we hired a stage with karaoke and band etc, roasted pig on the skewer , loads of crates of chang beer and few bottles of lao kao whiskey, was a cheap night except for the sin sod, i had no money on me then to pay the family the sin sod so i just threw the atm card and a gold bracelet i bought her months before into the bowl and that was it, her father told everyone that i was paying 500k for the sin sod but that was just t save face, we actually sent them over 100k baht which is about average , i think anyway. good luck hope it goes well for you wink.gif

As we did the party-in-the-village bit before we registered, and because it coincided with my birthday, we use the party bit as our anniversary. That is, after all, when we effectively announced to all and sundry that we considered ourselves married. The rest is just a bit of paper required by some annoying bureaucrats from time to time.

Two witness is a requirement and should not be those signing your documents (but often able to find others that can sign - normal to buy them lunch). There may also be a requirement to have a translator if foreigner can not read Thai as they are required to sign document and expected to understand it. Some offices speak good enough English to do themselves but others may want you to have someone else do it. Does not have to be an official translator, just someone with basic ability in Thai and your language. Spouse could be considered a conflict of interest as what you sign is a legal understanding and any conditions are contained in it.

Where does one do the registration...what government department is it? Also, is the registration be made in the local office where the couple reside or back in her "home province"?

Even though often overlooked by the Amphur, the rules for marriage in Thailand requires that all parties understands and signs a document. In case one of the parties cant read Thai he/she required to have the document verbally translated on site to make sure you understand what you sign. If you are lucky, the personnel at the Amphur does the translating for you, but the rules states you will have to provide this translator and bring the person to the Amphur at the time of registering the marriage.

Where does one do the registration...what government department is it? Also, is the registration be made in the local office where the couple reside or back in her "home province"?

Can be made at any Amphur office.

My wide comes from Chiang Mai and we got married at the Ampur on Koh Samui.

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes guys. We're going to the Amphur tomorrow!!

In regards to birth certificates, I have mine here in Thailand with me, so I'll take it just in case...nothing worse than a wasted trip.

For witnesses we'll have my wife (to be's) sister and father, and my wife's sister has excellent English, so if need be then she will act as translator too.

We are getting married at the Amphur in Bangrak as we have friends who married there recently, and apparently the staff there are 'familiar' with the process when Farang is involved.

I've heard some horror stories about the cost of the translation of freedom to marry cert. Can anyone please tell me what a "normal" fee is, and where it was obtained?

Re birth certs, surely that is covered by the passport?

Seems to be some disagreement about witnesses on the thread. Can someone who has been married recently please clear this up.

Thanks.

Paid 600 baht for translation and went to MFA myself.

They had a package service for 2000 baht including translation and verified by MFA.

Had I known that it would take four hours then I had taken the package.

Had no witnesses with me, no problem at the Koh Samui Amphur.

Two lovely clerks signed as witnesses.

Edited by PoorSucker

Had the Amphur wedding in Bangsue, in March we will have the Ceremony at Ruenjoawsao in Pakkred.

The wedding date we use is the Amphur date, also it is inside the rings so we do not forget it, although my wife constantly does.

Had the Amphur wedding in Bangsue, in March we will have the Ceremony at Ruenjoawsao in Pakkred.

The wedding date we use is the Amphur date, also it is inside the rings so we do not forget it, although my wife constantly does.

I made the Amphur thing on 080808 so that I'll remember. ;)

I've heard some horror stories about the cost of the translation of freedom to marry cert. Can anyone please tell me what a "normal" fee is, and where it was obtained?

Seems to be some disagreement about witnesses on the thread. Can someone who has been married recently please clear this up.

Thanks.

I got my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with my wife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the small mall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place I believe it's called. There were 2 translation companies operating there (small units side by side). I used Ploenchit Translation Center.

Maybe the horror stories you had heard were confusing the actual fee for the affirmation from the British Embassy, which is 2,725 bt (I think) and not the simple translation of the form into Thai.

I got married today!! We took my wife's father and sister as witnesses, but there were many other couples there getting married with no witnesses, so I guess that yes, the registrar and his/her assistant can act on your behalf.

Edited by thecatman

Thanks.

I got my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with my wife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the small mall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place I believe it's called. There were 2 translation companies operating there (small units side by side). I used Ploenchit Translation Center.

Maybe the horror stories you had heard were confusing the actual fee for the affirmation from the British Embassy, which is 2,725 bt (I think) and not the simple translation of the form into Thai.

I got married today!! We took my wife's father and sister as witnesses, but there were many other couples there getting married with no witnesses, so I guess that yes, the registrar and his/her assistant can act on your behalf.

Well done. Glad it worked out for you.