Tesco Boss Sir Terry Leahy Caught Up In Thai Resort Row

Boater

Sir Terry Leahy has been dragged into a row over claims of unpaid bills at a luxury resort he set up in Thailand, the Daily Mail reveals today.

The Tesco chief executive, who leaves the supermarket in March, has invested millions of pounds of his personal fortune in the West Sands development on the holiday island of Phuket.

But he has been assailed by allegations that a company hired to market the project has not been paid for work done last year.

article-0-0CD854FF000005DC-173_468x215.jpgCommercial clash: The Tesco boss bought the West Sands site in Phuket in 2006

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1349059/Tesco-boss-Sir-Terry-Leahy-caught-Thai-resort-row.html#ixzz1Bd0Htcvk

I hate totally misleading articles like this.

So in reality there is a commercial dispute over marketing fees paid to a company who were advertising a property development.

This is too boring so somehow they spin it into "Rich bloke skips out on his hotel bill"...

I hate totally misleading articles like this.

So in reality there is a commercial dispute over marketing fees paid to a company who were advertising a property development.

This is too boring so somehow they spin it into "Rich bloke skips out on his hotel bill"...

I agree.

The article says also:

"Liverpool-born Gartside, who set up Carrot, Banana & Peach in 1999 and is based in Singapore, agreed contracts worth $323,800 with West Sands in January 2010. But in March that year Mercer sent an email to Gartside saying the work was 'of an unacceptable quality' and 'ridiculously expensive'."

So, the contracts were signed in January 2010 and within 2 months the Resort (by means of Mr. Mercer) already complained about the quality, delivered by Carrot, Banana & Peach.

Surely the whole amount of $ 323.000 couldn't have been "delivered" yet in those 2 months.

There are 2 sides on this story by the Daily Mail....:whistling:

LaoPo

And I read somewhere, hotels do not have private beaches - not allowed.

that is correct, all the beaches in thailand are owned by the crown...... anyone can use any beach in thailand, and no one can claim it is thiers

that is correct, all the beaches in thailand are owned by the crown...... anyone can use any beach in thailand, and no one can claim it is thiers

Gee, i wonder if the beach chair vendors know this when i see them chase off innocent tourists who decided to lay down a rug near the beach chair vendor's concession.

This statement is at variance with reality. I do not recommend setting up a stall on a beach without paying somebody off.

IN the UK all the land between high and low water marks belongs to the crown - and a fat lot of good it does them. I'd just love to see Betty Windsor pitch up and tell people to stop building sand castles on her land. :lol:

I find it anomalous that the Tesco boss should complain about poor serve and value for money. Tesco have been selling sub-standard crap even since they were put together by the Cohen family. Lady Cohen herself was in all sorts of crap with proven allegations of gerrymandering. Few of the well heeled and those with pretensions to be would be seen dead using one of their stores.

When I left the UK they did sell the cheapest petrol in my area though.

Try telling that to the resort owners at Cheong Mon Beach on Samui who charge the massage businesses to operate in front of their resorts. They charge very large rents.

If "Carrot, Banana & Peach" emoa.gif is a Thai company there's nothing surprising here, like as it always go.

I needed 2 lawyers and Consumer Protection Board to get my newly build house finished, the developer Pimuk did a garbage job with totally unskilled people, they became very bored of my complaining and refused to finish the house. All it took almost 3 years in stead of the promised 6 months.