Pcx Tuning - J Costa Variator.......

johnboy3739w

Saw this thread on Thai visa and decided to take the plunge and get one for my PCX:

Was a bit wary about transferring 6,600 B (incl 100b delivery) to people i hadn't heard of, but no need to worry - Variator arrived the next day, well packed and in perfect condition......

The guy i bought it from - "vocal neal" couldn't have been more helpful, much advice over the phone and included step by step instructions in Thai (including numerous pictures) for the mechanic.....

Took the PCX to my local Mityon in Pattaya and caused quite a stir - every mechanic in the place gathered round as the main man fitted the new parts - they'd heard about the J Coster Variator conversion, but not actually seen one in the flesh............

30 mins later it was done and mechanic took it round the block and came back with a big grin on his face, both thumbs in the air and said "very good"...............

i've done 100km now and it feels like its bedding in nicely - power delivery is much much smoother, and you certainly can feel a greater sense of urgency - mid range power is up as is top speed.......................

All in all 555 - money well spent.......

• 1 month later...

Wow...have you changed anything else? I have the JCosta as well and am very happy with it. But I also have upgraded the rubber to Pirelli 130/70/14. I was tired of the stock no-name tires sliding out from under me on aggressive curves and am very happy with the change. However, this is a lot bigger (taller/wider) tire than stock and I have seen no real improvement on the speedo. One thing to consider is my speed is probably a bit faster than the it says because of the taller tires. The JCosta and the tires have changed the bike in very considerable ways...no way would I ever change either back. The JCosta has given me a great improvement in performance between 40k and 80k which was what I really sought when I bought it. The tires have planted the bike in the curves (even two up) and given me the confidence to ride in ways the stock tires could not. I have also purchased the black box from JR Motors to improve acceleration and performance. To date, I have not had the chance to have it installed. Will post my experience with it soon. As for warranty, I had mine installed at Nat Honda in Chiang Mai. At no time did they mention warranty. Notably, my bike had over 10,000k on it at the time of installation and is now out of warranty anyway. If you have a torque wrench and are minimally mechanically inclined...do it yourself. I watched and it was very, very easy. No body panels removed, just open the case, take off the stock variator, install the new, put together and ride. Maybe some critical points to remember if you do it, I am told you should install a new drive belt, do not use any lubrication on the unit, keep things very clean, and torque the variator bolt down to 60psi. Disclaimer, I am not a mechanic but it did look very easy. If you are uncomfortable, pay the 200B and spend a half-hour with your local Honda dealer. Good luck...cheers!

mess 2 - said nothing !

tried top speed last night - got up to 115, still a bit more left, but had to brake for the t / lights..............

think might see 120 on the speedo.....

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a good weekend of riding. I spent about four hours of mine in a shop getting a new electronic control module (ECM) installed. It was a much more involved project than anticipated by myself and the shop manager. Luckily, the person who did the work has a degree in electronics and was comfortable with tackling it. Body panels were removed, many wires were cut and re soldered, and conversations on the phone with the folks at JR Motors where I bought the unit. I was wondering if the bike would even run during the process. To the shops credit, the bike started first try and continues with no problems. The unit itself also performs as advertised. It really puts the throttle in your hand if you know what I mean. Before the install, the drive by wire always felt rather vague. Now it feels as if the engine is in the palm of your hand. Every subtle movement is met with an immediate engine response. It also seems to have taken some of the spooling time out of the JCosta making it's response to throttle increase more immediate. Cool.... The acceleration greatly increased especially from standstill through 90k. At that point it starts to struggle. This is much the same as before the install of the JCosta and ECM. I think this is just the reality of hauling my 200 pounds around on a 125cc. My oversize tires may also be at play. Top end is probably around 110 to 113. Hard to tell on the speedo and figure in the error due to the taller tires. Anyway, I am a happy camper with these changes. The PCX performs and rides much better and I can see riding it for a long time to come. At least until I "pop the top" at which time I will upgrade to the 150cc kit. Another 15,000 baht for a performance exhaust would probably be an improvement, but I don't think I will do that...at least not yet. Last word...if you do the ECM, make sure you are at a shop who really knows what they are doing...I was lucky!

mess 2 - said nothing !

tried top speed last night - got up to 115, still a bit more left, but had to brake for the t / lights..............

• 2 weeks later...

mess 2 - said nothing !

Johnny,

Like this?

• 1 month later...
Was a bit wary about transferring 6' date='600 B (incl 100b delivery)[/quote']

Just got it done at MaiThai Bikes Pattaya for 4500 Baht. (they machine the walls out themselves .. simple enough .. you swap them yours .. hence cheaper)

1200 baht for the 15 gram rollers. 5700 Baht all up. Done in 15 minutes. Better acceleration .. top speed now 112km .. overall more smooth. Cruises on 100km easily with no more "shudder"

blink.gif

Even with a few mods my PCX will not go over 108km. I'm told that it is speed limited and without ECU mod will not go faster.

As an aside, I was stopped in Udon the other day. Helmet ok, Thai license ok. Red plate number does not match tax. I explained that I had been waiting for 4 months for plate then ok. He then said you make too much noise 200 baht lol.