Tai Chi

Kake

google search under that name will get you many links to buy video tape to get started. There are many styles and depending on how much movement and speed your interested in will depend on the style.

You will save yourself a lot of money when you start your lessons if you have mastered a beginners tape and have some skill and endurance to take into class wth you. Beginner's classes can be very slow and boring if the class has non-athletic older folks in it.

Learning from a beginners tape at home will take you past that and determine if you want to take it further at the least expense, without having to commute to class.

There is a Tai Chi master in Australia who has an excellent line of tapes. I ordered mine from one of his distributors and paid in dollars online. Delivered in a week.

PM me if you can't find on google and I will look in my billing for the name.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Different people have different ideas about what Tai Chi is all about and its probably better that you find someone who will provide what you are looking for. My point of view is that Tai Chi should not be exciting because it is basically a relaxation technique and excitement is usually if not always antithetical to relaxation and stress elimination. I think that tapes are pretty much worthless as are books. You need a live instructor and you shouldn't think that the faster you learn the movements the better....learning the external form of the movements is virtually meaningless...its the inner form that should be the goal............all this is my view of Tai Chi and I fully respect other people having other views.

Its hard to find a good teacher who teaches what I believe to be the right stuff. Try to find someone who knows about meditation and also teaches Tai Chi...don't worry if it takes awhile...it will be a couple of years after you start learning before you notice much of an effect at all anyway....Tai Chi is not a week end sort of thing...you need to practice every day..twice a day is best....to just learn the moves of Tai Chi is nothing...it is the effect achieved by everyday practice that will benefit you the most.

Hi ChowNah,

I like your comments.

I just started learning Tai Chi (only 3 lessons). depending on individual objectives, but should be taken as long term. Still too early to comments, but I view the achievement as long term.

- some may be able to learn from tapes or video as different people has different capability and style of learning. Of course with life instructor is idea and interactive.

I actually learn it in Spore. But doesa nyone know of a good master in Bangkok?..please share wiht us.

Cheers

Kun ChoiceChance

Edited by Kun choicechance

Is Tai Chi purely for meditation and relaxation, or can it be used as a gentle form of excerise?

Anyone know anyone in Phuket teaching?

Tai Chi is a martial art.

It is classed as an internal type of Kung <deleted>.

Meditation/relaxation are side benefits that many do it for.

Don't try and learn it by video tapes etc, I tried that and it was terrible.

I learnt it with a great teacher who had lived in Hong Kong for 2 years.

I also learnt it in the Indian Himalaya by an English, Tibetan, Buddhist Nun.

I don't know any teachers but would like one.

Try Lumpini park, some experts practice there, just go up and ask one of them t teach you.

• 5 years later...

Hi ChowNah,

I like your comments.

I just started learning Tai Chi (only 3 lessons). depending on individual objectives, but should be taken as long term. Still too early to comments, but I view the achievement as long term.

- some may be able to learn from tapes or video as different people has different capability and style of learning. Of course with life instructor is idea and interactive.

I actually learn it in Spore. But doesa nyone know of a good master in Bangkok?..please share wiht us.

Cheers

Kun ChoiceChance

Strange as it may sound, the best tai chi teacher in Bangkok (in my humble opinion) is a Westerner who runs the Chen Tai Chi School of Thailand. He can actually explain WHY we are doing things and doesn't just 'show and copy'. You can find his details at www.chentaichithailand.com

Hope this helps.

Different people have different ideas about what Tai Chi is all about and its probably better that you find someone who will provide what you are looking for. My point of view is that Tai Chi should not be exciting because it is basically a relaxation technique and excitement is usually if not always antithetical to relaxation and stress elimination. I think that tapes are pretty much worthless as are books. You need a live instructor and you shouldn't think that the faster you learn the movements the better....learning the external form of the movements is virtually meaningless...its the inner form that should be the goal............all this is my view of Tai Chi and I fully respect other people having other views.

Its hard to find a good teacher who teaches what I believe to be the right stuff. Try to find someone who knows about meditation and also teaches Tai Chi...don't worry if it takes awhile...it will be a couple of years after you start learning before you notice much of an effect at all anyway....Tai Chi is not a week end sort of thing...you need to practice every day..twice a day is best....to just learn the moves of Tai Chi is nothing...it is the effect achieved by everyday practice that will benefit you the most.

As a tai chi teacher in Bangkok I fully agree with your statement. Most tai chi in Bangkok is 'dhow and copy' and you may never find the inside movement from this. The teaching should be slow and structured leading you to understand and develop the movements from the skeleton and not from muscle.

You have a good understanding of this wonderful art.

Jack

Chen Tai Chi School of Thailand

I did tai chi for many years back home and I suggest you cruise the main public parks eg Lupini, early in the morning there are many people that are practicing different forms and I'm sure that they would welcome you to join them and teach you also

I did tai chi for many years back home and I suggest you cruise the main public parks eg Lupini, early in the morning there are many people that are practicing different forms and I'm sure that they would welcome you to join them and teach you also

Good idea. I've done Tai Chi for many years and the form I like is practised by a group who meet at about six thirty am in the small park next to the Emporium Shopping Centre on Sukumvit Rd. I'm sure they would welcome you. But as others have said you can watch and copy, but you may not get all the detail. Still, they seem like a friendly group to me.

Regards.

Good idea. I've done Tai Chi for many years and the form I like is practised by a group who meet at about six thirty am in the small park next to the Emporium Shopping Centre on Sukumvit Rd. I'm sure they would welcome you. But as others have said you can watch and copy, but you may not get all the detail. Still, they seem like a friendly group to me.

Regards.

no disrespect intended but TV gets a lot of well intentioned misinformation! The main group that practice "Chinese" exercise in the park next to Emporium are Falung Gong practitioners and not Tai Chi Chuan practitioners. Incidently, Falung Gong was banned in China as a heretic practice?? Tai Chi chuan is fully supported and encouraged by the PRC. Many people claim to regularly practice these type of things but haven't a clue what they are practicing and preaching about. Google is a great resource for registered and qualified teachers and practitioners.

I suggest that one attends the Tai Chi school taught by the qualified westerner in BKK as he can explain what Tai Chi Chuan is and is not.

google search under that name will get you many links to buy video tape to get started. There are many styles and depending on how much movement and speed your interested in will depend on the style.

You will save yourself a lot of money when you start your lessons if you have mastered a beginners tape and have some skill and endurance to take into class wth you. Beginner's classes can be very slow and boring if the class has non-athletic older folks in it.

Learning from a beginners tape at home will take you past that and determine if you want to take it further at the least expense, without having to commute to class.

There is a Tai Chi master in Australia who has an excellent line of tapes. I ordered mine from one of his distributors and paid in dollars online. Delivered in a week.

Please exuse me- you simply cannot learn tai-chi or most anything else like this from DVD's.It's just not possible. I think this advice show that someone does not do nor understand it and can be quite dangerous.

And I also disagree with the theory about saving money's. A really world class teacher in lumpinee park ask's for 500Thai baht's per month

Please exuse me- you simply cannot learn tai-chi or most anything else like this from DVD's.It's just not possible. I think this advice show that someone does not do nor understand it and can be quite dangerous.

And I also disagree with the theory about saving money's. A really world class teacher in lumpinee park ask's for 500Thai baht's per month

There aren't any world class teachers in Lumpinee Park and they find it hard to communicate in English so I wouldn't bother.

There aren't any world class teachers in Lumpinee Park and they find it hard to communicate in English so I wouldn't bother.

'there are't any world class teachers in lumpini park..."

I disagree. Unless you would not consider a man 'world class" who went to china and spent some year's in full time training. And still goes back to brush up.

And his teacher who is ' name" in china comes here once per year. They train each and every day from 4an to 9am.

Oh, and they speak perfect english too.

'there are't any world class teachers in lumpini park..."

I disagree. Unless you would not consider a man 'world class" who went to china and spent some year's in full time training. And still goes back to brush up.

And his teacher who is ' name" in china comes here once per year. They train each and every day from 4an to 9am.

Oh, and they speak perfect english too.

I suppose deciding whether someone is world class depends on your own experience and in how many countries you have studied - BUT, liking your teacher is one of the most important things and it sounds like you have both respect and admiration for yours! This is very important and can help greatly when the going gets tough as it does when we are opening our bodies and minds. It sounds like you have found your teacher - well done!

I have four teachers, two English and two Chinese and I love them all dearly.

Keep up the training and enjoy the journey!

Jack

• 10 months later...

we've also been looking for tai chi schools in Bangkok.

but have not found what we're looking for yet.

I have seen the Chen and Yang styles in the parks, and recently discovered while looking around a new Wu Style Tai Chi class being offered from Hong Kong soon in Bangkok. It looks interesting http://www.wustylebangkok.com

other yang schools and chen schools can be found around the world at http://www.taichicentral.com/tai-chi-schools-of-the-world/

can anyone speak to the cohesiveness of the groups practicing here in the city?

cheers

Edited by aquaponeer

• 3 weeks later...

we've also been looking for tai chi schools in Bangkok.

but have not found what we're looking for yet.

I have seen the Chen and Yang styles in the parks, and recently discovered while looking around a new Wu Style Tai Chi class being offered from Hong Kong soon in Bangkok. It looks interesting http://www.wustylebangkok.com

other yang schools and chen schools can be found around the world at http://www.taichicen...s-of-the-world/

can anyone speak to the cohesiveness of the groups practicing here in the city?

cheers

It all depends on what you are looking for but a good start is to find a teacher you like!

Wu is particularly good for the upper body but it takes a long time to break the stresses in the body. I think that there is one good Yang teacher in Lumpinee, a lady, who I rate but unfortunately do not know her name.

A new class will start soon at The Chen Tai Chi School of Thailand, the classes are small and teaching is systematic and precise - www.chentaichithailand.com

I hope this helps xx