It'S Not Just Farangs...

phaethon

Walking around MBK the other day with a friend who wanted a new plastic protector cover for her rather ancient Nokia. I knew exactly the place to go but it was at the opposite end of the mall. On the way we asked at several smaller shops and always "mai mee"

When we got the my intended place she asked a couple of young 'uns at the front: answer - " mai mee" and carry on chatting with each other. I knew dam_n well if anywhere had a cover for this model it would be here so I pointed her toward the boss who sits in the corner - "Ask him..."

Sure enough he took her inside and had a techie search the shelves, found a match along with a new keypad and screen set too...

Obviously the young staff outside (and how many of the places tried previously?) were just too lazy to look :rolleyes:

So, next time you get a "mai mee" without an apparent second thought, look for the boss and be reassured that it's not just a language barrier thing, it's good old-fashioned idleness.

I had the same with my wife asking, seems the fact is most of them have no clue what they are doing.

Reminds me of once we where in Global and the person working in that section was a Katoey, I was thinking what great episode it would make for Home Improvement Tim goes to the hardware store and has to deal with a Transvestite :)

Yes it happens to 'Thais' and was visiting Pattaya a few years back and went into the shop which was like a pharmacy and cosmetics shop. I had a quick look around but as there was plenty of assistants, I would ask in Thai "where the Tiger balm was" with a quick, friendly explanation what it was for.

The assistant in her rudest, possible manner turned and said I dont know where it is if "we have it at all. Luckily at that time I had spotted it behind her. I asked her "how long she had worked at the shop"and she said "7 years. So I pointed to it behind her. Her response was "this isn't my aisle".

Ït was a lesson learned. You pay peanuts you know what to expect. This is not true of everyone and I wouldn't want top make sweeping statements that all Thais are like this, as they are not. But it does happen regularly and the Mrs. often says whats the point in asking others".

We have asked motor bike taxis for directions and they didn't know, when we find out it was in front of them. The longer I stay here (nearly ten years) the more I understand the way things are. <_<

Edited by Laughing Gravy

I was in a KFC resturant recently. Two men of Arabian stock walked in and began to order. After placing their order the kid behind the counter said 'Sorry, no have.' The Arabs changed their order, 'Sorry no have,' was the reply. The two men walked out of the KFC confused.

The kid then chuckled to himeslf. Never understimate the power of Sanuk, of playing and having fun. If you cannot speak the language in Thailand then you open youself up for abuse, or fun, whichever way you look at it.

What tees me off is when a shop assistant tries to sell me something other than what I want. Recently i pointed to a tin of ICI Dulux Weathershield and said that I wanted same same but white colour. The dolt attending to me tried to sell me several other paints before giving up and meeting my request.

Another in the same shop tried to palm me off with a 9 kilowatt water heater. &lt;deleted&gt; would I want with one of that power in this climate? To humour him and to amuse myself I asked how much power said water heater would consume in the unlikely event of using it at full blast. He didn't know. I then asked what was the amperage supplied over the mains up country. He didn't know that either.

Yep. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

I was in a KFC resturant recently. Two men of Arabian stock walked in and began to order. After placing their order the kid behind the counter said 'Sorry, no have.' The Arabs changed their order, 'Sorry no have,' was the reply. The two men walked out of the KFC confused.

The kid then chuckled to himeslf. Never understimate the power of Sanuk, of playing and having fun. If you cannot speak the language in Thailand then you open youself up for abuse, or fun, whichever way you look at it.

Sounds like good business to me...

How stupid can you be to believe that turning business away is funny??

Still, as long as they're having fun its obviously understandable.

What tees me off is when a shop assistant tries to sell me something other than what I want. Recently i pointed to a tin of ICI Dulux Weathershield and said that I wanted same same but white colour. The dolt attending to me tried to sell me several other paints before giving up and meeting my request.

Another in the same shop tried to palm me off with a 9 kilowatt water heater. &lt;deleted&gt; would I want with one of that power in this climate? To humour him and to amuse myself I asked how much power said water heater would consume in the unlikely event of using it at full blast. He didn't know. I then asked what was the amperage supplied over the mains up country. He didn't know that either.

Yep. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

got a 7500k water heater recently and it preforms like a charm. Its good for those chilly morning you got in winter. Other then that i have to agree they tend to sell you what is best for them not best for you.

I think most farang confuse crap and indifferent service as some form of 'anti farang sentiment'.

The truth is that most thais get the same lousy service, and if truth be told, people are more likely to go out if their way to help you - purely cause you are a farang.

I think most farang confuse crap and indifferent service as some form of 'anti farang sentiment'.

The truth is that most thais get the same lousy service, and if truth be told, people are more likely to go out if their way to help you - purely cause you are a farang.

I think you could probably be right. I would not walk fast or do much for the wages and future possibilities those guys have.

I was in Paragon last weekend and asked the information desk where the Yves St. Laurent perfume counter was. (Valentine's Day is fast approaching).

The usual answer. "Mai mi". There is a YSL shop in there that sells handbags etc so I asked them and they gave me directions, it was not far from the information desk. On the way out I showed the girl on information my YSL bag and perfume and got a fixed grin, or was it a grimace? Not "mai mi" but couldn't be bothered, I think.

i agree with this from personal experience.

also, mai mee could often easily be translated as "i dont know".

What tees me off is when a shop assistant tries to sell me something other than what I want.

Same happened with me at Tuc Com. I wanted a Multi Media Player that had a storage capacity, pref 1TB. Shop assistant hadn't a clue they were even available and I could only have a Media Player without storage. Ebay won my business.....again!

Edited by mrbojangles