Lose Weight Or Die

PattayaOneTeam

Lose Weight or Die

By Khun Dee

Are you too short for your weight? It's not a laughing matter; nor is it simply a 'cosmetic' issue. If you're a little plump you may be facing a premature death. In fact, just a few kilos of excess weight puts you more at risk of dying, according to a new report in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Based on the results of 19 long-term studies on weight, researchers concluded that people with a body mass index (measurement of weight related to height) of 22.5 to 24.9 benefit from the lowest death rates. People with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 had death rates 13% higher. And those with a BMI of 30 to 39.9 were 44% to 88% more likely to die.

The majority of Pattaya's expats appear to fall into the more perilous last two categories.

The BMI is calculated using both height and weight. It is a guide to the amount of body fat someone has. It has long been established that a healthy BMI is between 20 and 25. A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is overweight, and over 30 is defined as obese. A BMI of 30 or more is over 35% higher than your ideal body weight. Overweight adults of all ages have an increased risk of getting high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and some cancers. Now this study adds premature death to that list of consequence.

In their research, scientists looked at groups of people who never smoked and did not have a diagnosis of heart disease or cancer. They adjusted the information for people's age, exercise level, alcohol consumption and education, among other things, to ensure that such factors did not influence the results. The study included all causes of death, not just heart disease or cancer.

If you are prone to gaining weight, take proactive steps to keep your BMI at reasonable levels. Recognize that losing weight later will be much more difficult than preventing weight gain now. Your basic formula consists of eating healthy foods, limiting calories, and exercising regularly. That must become a focus of your daily life.

To read the rest of this article download the PDF here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/665-pattaya-one-issue-8/

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2011-01-24

The BMI is stupid and shouldn't be taken litterally. Whilst I agree that being over weight is bad and we're going to die early because of it, the BMI doesnt take into account that people are not one set build. I'm 6'2 and currently weigh 19 stone according to the BMI charts I'm morbidlly obese and off the scale, but this isn't true. I'm 28 years old play rugby, regular mixed martial arts and work out on a regular basis. Theres nothing morbidly obese about me full stop.

A couple of years ago when I took rugby seriously I played in 2nd row and weighted 18 stone 4lbs and I was asked to drop weight to move postions to 3rd row flanker, I dropped the weight in 8 weeks to 14 stone 4lbs according to BMI i was now only over weight and not obese. The truth is I looked ill, i felt ill and can honestly say that if I dropped another stone to fall into the normal cat then I'd have some serious problems.

I found my ideal weight is 16 stone this according to BMI buts me in the obese cat. It's total rubbish

My wife is thai she's a tiny an petite build she looks great she weighs 40 kgs and according to BMI she's under weight.

Personally I wouldn't take any notice of the BMI, I think if the person feels good then thats good enough, agreed we should watch what we eat but I think if we actually took all the advice we we're given we'd all die of bordem anyway. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't f***, don't eat fruit, veg, or anything that tastes good, don't laugh don't cry the list is endless.

Just enjoy life you've only got one.