Need A Di Blasi R7 In Thailand

SomtamFetcher

Hi everyone,

I am interested in starting a company that requires the use of a Di Blasi R7 folding motorcycle. This has to be completely above board, and there are no other brands on the market that offer similar capabilities as far as I know. Does anyone know:

1) If there is a Di Blasi dealer or certified importer in Thailand?

2) If not, is there a procedure for importing/registering a motorbike, and if so, how difficult is it?

Assuming that there is no dealer already, I know the stock answer is going to be that I'm a fool for even trying. For the sake of argument, assume that I am a fool, and I want to throw my money away. Can anyone suggest what the actual procedure for this, and how long the process would take?

What are the actual requirements for registering a bike to make it street legal in Thailand? How about import duties on a 49.9cc motorcycle?

Also, if anyone else knows of a liquid fuel powered, collapsible motorcycle please let me know.

Thanks for any assistance.

I'm sorry to inform you that due to the 2-stroke engine, the Di Blasi R7 will never become road legal in Thailand. Trying, will be a waist of money, time and will generate lots of headaches.

Edited by Richard-BKK

You would have to have a Thai partner as well as far I know.

Thanks. We do have a Thai partner.

I'm sorry to inform you that due to the 2-stroke engine, the Di Blasi R7 will never become road legal in Thailand. Trying, will be a waist of money, time and will generate lots of headaches.

Interesting. I didn't realize this. Are registering these engines actually outlawed, or is it simply that there is a gauntlet of issues that need to be negotiated in order to make it happen?

Could the bikes be registered if the 2 stroke engines were replaced by an after market 4 stroke engine?

I am willing to take this as far as it can go, unless a true immovable wall presents itself. Do you think this is actually impossible, or merely difficult?

1st where is the company going to be operating.. Why does it have to be this style of bike, Will nothing else do the job. If its outside Bkk then many towns and cities operate a grey style of using these small 2t scooters. It's actually a tambon (local council) issued plate. And can only be used in the city limits.(usually in University towns)

Others just ride around with no plate.

Jeeze i just looked at that thing (r7) if you want to use THAT in BKK you are madder than the reds and yellows put together.rolleyes.gif

Edited by thaicbr

1st where is the company going to be operating.. Why does it have to be this style of bike, Will nothing else do the job. If its outside Bkk then many towns and cities operate a grey style of using these small 2t scooters. It's actually a tambon (local council) issued plate. And can only be used in the city limits.(usually in University towns)

Others just ride around with no plate.

Jeeze i just looked at that thing (r7) if you want to use THAT in BKK you are madder than the reds and yellows put together.

Unfortunately, we will be operating primarily in Bangkok, and later other major metropolitan areas. So I don't think the local council idea will work, but it was a nice thought. Thank you for suggesting it. It may be useful in a different context. We also need full insurance, so operating without registration is not going to be acceptable.

We don't need this particular motorcycle, but it does need to be one that can collapse and be carried by hand, run on liquid fuels and reach respectable speeds.

I actually just found another manufacturer that makes a near similar clone to the Di Blasi but uses a 4 cycle engine instead of the 2 cycle. So it appears we can overcome that problem.

Given this, what other hurdles can we expect in importing a 49cc motorcycle and registering it? Is there a procedure that is explained anywhere? Does anyone know exactly what the import duties will be?

As for being crazy, I'm not going to be the one riding it. And I think what we are planning is dramatically safer than riding around with a baby on the handle bars and no helmet. So I don't think the Thai drivers will be intimidated by it, no matter what shirt they wear.

Thanks again for all your help.

Think these come under the basic scope of the pbop rot type scoots which can never be road legalized as far as I know. Theres a comment on the Phuket gazette Q&A section saying how they cant be made road legal and police will tolerate their use 'in the villages' but not legally for 'roads'.

I dont know if the issue could be solved with an electric vehicle ?? I understand some of these can be road used without registrations.

I think this is to drive you home when you are too drunk to drive. they pop into the boot of the customers car and he drives your car for a fee and then drives home on the fold up bike! Good luck to you as its a great niche!

Think these come under the basic scope of the pbop rot type scoots which can never be road legalized as far as I know. Theres a comment on the Phuket gazette Q&A section saying how they cant be made road legal and police will tolerate their use 'in the villages' but not legally for 'roads'.

I dont know if the issue could be solved with an electric vehicle ?? I understand some of these can be road used without registrations.