Third-Sex Thai Hostesses Ready For Takeoff

webfact

Why is this an issue? All airlines should consider applications from anyone for any position they have, and judge them on merit. Being a "third sex" is irrelevant to the ability to do any job.

I think it is a matter of uniform. In some colleges and schools lady boys are not allowed to dress as women.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I find curious is that this topic has generated twice as much response as bombers in the streets of Bangkok.

It woulkd seem this is more of a worry for many men than people being blown up.

Oh yeah gotta have your priorities straight. (pun and punters intended)

Prostitutes generally don't have hearts of gold.

Not all ladyboys are prostitutes, my local pharmacist is a katoey and honest, cheerful and professional.

I have no idea why some think the word katoey is banned here in TVF, except in a derogatory usage?

So really this seems a rather lurid take by many on this human rights issue.

ie Should those who you find 'sexually unappealing' be allowed to get jobs in the public sphere.

There were similar worries over' fat ladies and gents' as Flight Attendants,

the over-riding issue was safety and ability to do the job.

That is the bottom line, can they do the job and tolerate the BS that comes with it with a smile

and no loss of services and necessaries for the passengers.

Address them as miss if their dressed as a miss, in their lives they are a miss. (no pun intended)

Edited by animatic

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but how would I go about get there attention on a flight? On normal flights I know there are gay and lesbian attendants and that is fine. I still address the males Sir and the females Miss. Easy Male and Female. How do I get the attention of a 3rd sex asit is niether male nor female. Do I just say hey you or continue to call them Sir.

If you want to be polite and they are dressed like a women then address them as a women. This is what they would prefer.

So, you are sitting in an airplane seat and want to get the attention of a passing female or lady boy attendant what would you say?

My answer was to the poster who asked how he should address them and he already stated how he normally refers to men & women.

I would address them the same which could include; name on their name tag, excuse me / kaww tawt, Miss, mam, nong/pee (depending on age) or a host of other gender and non-gender specific terms or gestures depending on the situation. But as I wrote above ... I would be polite and respectful as i would with anybody regardless of their gender.

Why is this an issue? All airlines should consider applications from anyone for any position they have, and judge them on merit. Being a "third sex" is irrelevant to the ability to do any job.

Agree 100% ... and is partly why I believe this airline is looking to exploit them (I don't see Tesco Lotus calling the press about hiring a transgender) as opposed to do anything to further any acceptance or rights. The fact that they are branding each of them with a distinguishing tag is very telling in my opinion.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but how would I go about get there attention on a flight? On normal flights I know there are gay and lesbian attendants and that is fine. I still address the males Sir and the females Miss. Easy Male and Female. How do I get the attention of a 3rd sex asit is niether male nor female. Do I just say hey you or continue to call them Sir.

If you want to be polite and they are dressed like a women then address them as a women. This is what they would prefer.

So, you are sitting in an airplane seat and want to get the attention of a passing female or lady boy attendant what would you say?

My answer was to the poster who asked how he should address them and he already stated how he normally refers to men & women.

I would address them the same which could include; name on their name tag, excuse me / kaww tawt, Miss, mam, nong/pee (depending on age) or a host of other gender and non-gender specific terms or gestures depending on the situation. But as I wrote above ... I would be polite and respectful as i would with anybody regardless of their gender.

Wrong. The excuse me/ kaww tawt, is correct but what would you say next in Thai?

Well simple if it was a female attendant I would say excuse miss, if it was a layboy attendant I would say excuse me sir. However would that be politically correct? There is no difined way on how one should address a lady boy as there is for the 2 known sexes be they gay or straight you still address them in the same manor.

Well simple if it was a female attendant I would say excuse miss, if it was a layboy attendant I would say excuse me sir. However would that be politically correct? There is no difined way on how one should address a lady boy as there is for the 2 known sexes be they gay or straight you still address them in the same manor.

I think the point was to say it in Thai. Gender would not be an issue. Khun (the persons name) would be appropriate if it was male or female. The Thai language like Thailand is not the same as the great Falang outback.

What I find curious is that this topic has generated twice as much response as bombers in the streets of Bangkok.

I believe it is because it is kind of light hearted news (on the service anyway) and regardless of how hard a lot of us may try .. we still see ladyboys as a curiosity that we find fun to talk or joke about. Obviously the more you are exposed or see them then it becomes less of a curiosity but it still can cause some non-typical sexual thoughts in the average male and the way of dealing with these thoughts is often to joke.

There are of course those who believe these people should burn in hell as well as others on the opposite side but just as extreme and others who get so uncomfortable with thoughts a ladyboy may arouse in them that they say/write over the top things here. So, I am guessing a number of posters are here now because they know these people will likely get this thread closed down before long.

No it would not be politically correct or be polite. A person dressed as women obviously wants to be addressed as a women. Political Correctness is about thinking about others' feelings. Those men who are dressing and/or having surgeries to appear as women are not trying to be identified as a third gender. They are trying to be identified as women. I'm sure there are exception to some ladyboys who are working and trying to attract clients specifically interested in ladyboys but I am assuming we are talking about those men who didn't identify with being men and see themselves as women ... not those doing it part time for economic gain.

Please. In Thailand ladyboys work at the 7/11 - as witnessed at least twice, and it's something that I really love this country for; namely, that something as mundane as a convenience store cashier can be an outrageous ladyboy and no-one so much as bats an eye - fantastic. Having them as air hostesses shouldn't be a big stretch.

Many (most?) male stewards are gay so between that and the pretty girls, ladyboys make perfect sense.

Political Correctness is about thinking about others' feelings.

I thought that was called "consideration" and just being a decent person. Why do we need that buzzword? Never mind, off-topic (but I haven't got any use for "political correctness as a term or even a concept -- I'm all about the Golden Rule and just doing the right thing -- and I think its overuse devalues what people do in its name and makes them seem less credible). Besides:

politically correct

ADJECTIVE:

Abbr. PC

• Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
  • Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.

Sorry. Carry on.

Please. In Thailand ladyboys work at the 7/11 - as witnessed at least twice, and it's something that I really love this country for; namely, that something as mundane as a convenience store cashier can be an outrageous ladyboy and no-one so much as bats an eye - fantastic. Having them as air hostesses shouldn't be a big stretch.

Many (most?) male stewards are gay so between that and the pretty girls, ladyboys make perfect sense.

7-11? Go to any pizza hut, or any other chain restaurant. As best I can tell, they all have at least one. Not my type, and it kind of eliminates the waitress flirting thing, and I don't have a particular desire to try and chat with them. But no bid deal.

7-11? Go to any pizza hut, or any other chain restaurant. As best I can tell, they all have at least one. Not my type, and it kind of eliminates the waitress flirting thing, and I don't have a particular desire to try and chat with them. But no bid deal.

So I guess you won't be joining the mile high club on P.C Airlines then :D

Cleaned up a lot of posts that crossed the line, or quoted those who did.

Derrogatory and demeaning posts were removed, but so were a few who unfairly attacked those who merely disagreed with the actions described in the story.

The persons in question are quite attractive, for now. What happens in a few years when that beauty starts to "fade." If you live in Thailand, you should have seen ageing ladyboys -do you think they will still fit the airlines "image"?

In THAI Airways they get promoted to work in Business Class....

In addition to corpus callosum reattachment

Say it again! Some out there are in dire need of education.

I liked "there are some strange people on Thai Visa" and "the end of straight civilization".

Reading all these posts one can really think that many straight men have problems with their sexuality. Otherwise the topic "ladyboys" would leave them indifferent. These "ladyboys" are just people like us all, some good, some bad, some ignorant and some professional.

BTW: The so called "straight civilization" is not in its best shape :rolleyes: .

As long as they do their jobs professionally I couldn't care less about what sex they are.

I agree they are there only to do their job. I think the most people will not even see or notice it if they not have the name tage.

and they won't be trying to marry the pilots...

or perhaps they still will...

These ladyboys got to have their ding dongs removed before they can start work. Well as the saying goes, 'If you look like a duck, walk like a duck and you talk like a duck . . . you must be a duck.'.

I'll just leave it at that.

Actually I think most of them don't get their penis' removed .. at the very least a good portion of them don't. Some don't do much beyond changing their cloths and wearing makeup.

Does it really matter what gender the person may be ?

Personally I think not.

Lady girl Manly man or Lady boy ,.

Who gives a hoot ?

I sure don't

I do not mind either.

However, there are lots of people that for any reason, be it religion or personal conviction, pretended or real, who will not accept 3rd sex persons.

A very low price might do the trick, up to a certain point, but those travellers will be a very difficult type of passengers.

And whatever the airline in question has to prove, or whatever, it will cost them.

Probably.

These ladyboys got to have their ding dongs removed before they can start work. Well as the saying goes, 'If you look like a duck, walk like a duck and you talk like a duck . . . you must be a duck.'.

Actually I think most of them don't get their penis' removed .. at the very least a good portion of them don't. Some don't do much beyond changing their cloths and wearing makeup.

From a previously posted article:

However, only three transvestite candidates will be hired and each of them must undergo sex-change surgery if they haven't already.

(emphasis mine)

Edited by SteeleJoe

From a previously posted article:

However, only three transvestite candidates will be hired and each of them must undergo sex-change surgery if they haven't already.

(emphasis mine)

ahhh, now I understand ... assumed the lopping off was referring to "working" ladyboys'

But that is crazy .. especially when the Chairmen in the OP seems to be indicating he is being PC

Precisely, very much the same way mundane expats can work in/manage outrageous go go bars

Edited by atyclb

Will have to reconsider sitting on the aisle. Do not want to get a surprise when one of these TV air hostess has to stretch to close the overhead compartment. Crotch bulge on skirts is not what I look forward to when I think of air hostess.

Don't fancy taters in ya mush, then? :whistling:

I'll take a refined transgender/ "third sex" flight attendant on my airplane than the aged, arrogant, snippy frowning stewardess I have to deal with on American carriers.

Heard that... but as long as they don't end up in the driving seat, then good enough.

I only hope Pattaya ladyboys do not hear of the news! Or i am afraid passengers will be harassed in the air just as much as on the ground.

i also hope the airline is prepared to lose some customers, there is a large number of people who do not accept so called third sex.

Well I don't know why? They condone it here in Thai schools - Head masters to students. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we got a new name for them. 3rd sex????

Third sex is not a new term, though its meaning has changed over time. Historically, it referred to all gay people, not specifically referring to males who feel they are women (who are arguably mostly not gay in the sense that a male who identifies as being female and is attracted to males is acting heterosexually). Condone indicates that those who have variant sexual identities are doing something wrong. That's a sad way to look at human diversity.

Edited by Jingthing