Third-Sex Thai Hostesses Ready For Takeoff

webfact

"..........only three transvestite candidates will be hired and each of them must undergo sex-change surgery if they haven't already. "

Why? Really, why? Is this how the boss prefers his extremely attractive and hugely grateful lady boys?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll take a refined transgender/ "third sex" flight attendant on my airplane than the aged, arrogant, snippy frowning stewardess I have to deal with on American carriers.

Absolutely agree.

It was asked earlier where the older lady boys could go after the age discrimination of the Asian airlines kicks in. Is Delta still flying with the rest home ladies?

Third sex is not a new term, though its meaning has changed over time. Historically, it referred to all gay people, not specifically referring to males who feel they are women (who are arguably mostly not gay in the sense that a male who identifies as being female and is attracted to males is acting heterosexually). Condone indicates that those who have variant sexual identities are doing something wrong. That's a sad way to look at human diversity.

I feel sorry for the lady boys. Men fear them because of masculinity issues. Women fear them because of feminine issues and Thai Visa fears them just because. Rough life. Where do they go? Gay places dis them. Female forums don't want them. Gays guys say they are not gay. Girls say they aren't girls. And the airlines wants to cut off half of their fun. It is almost as bad as being bisexual and everyone knows about how bad they are.

The third sex females that these airlines hired are more beautiful than women. You would not be intimidated by them. They are professionals and know their job.

I can agree they can make themselves up to be even more beautiful (not the word I would use) than ordinary women. After 27 years of visiting Thailand (half of those as a resident), I've learned to spot guys who act overly feminine and overly made-up as lady boys - though admittedly, sometimes there's some doubt.

Be that as it may (though affected personalities irk me), I think we can all agree that lady boys are very often hyper sensitive of other peoples' reactions to them (whether real or imagined). Such sensitivity is a mm away from being offended. I know of many Thai lady boys who work in shops which I frequent, many of whom share pleasant greetings with me - same as any other shop workers. Indeed, one of the managers at my biz is a lady-boy.

However, I can foresee scenarios, with the airline hostess thing, where some lady-boys could get offended - which could lead to confrontations or hurt feelings, at the least. I, for one, will not fly PC for that reason - (put another way) with workers 'walking on pins and needles' and the likelihood that a glance or a remark might be misconstrued, and workers get their emotions all twisted up and get offended, ....then retribution, etc.

Regular men and women for me, thanks.

Well I couldn't really give a rats if they employed red headed pygmies with gout. All I care about is the ability of them to get me a ale when I ask for one, leave me alone when I'm snoring and get me to my destination in one piece.

The thing I don't like is that they have to have the operation. Why the hell should that matter. Do they think it will have the same effect of neutering a dog?

And what's with the name tag to show them as a 3rd gender. Why does anyone have to state a gender?

Just employ the best canditates, male, female, ladyboy whatever. But don't go branding them with a tag.

Now if they decided to tag the girls with '2 or 3 holer' that would be ok with me. :D

The third sex females that these airlines hired are more beautiful than women. You would not be intimidated by them. They are professionals and know their job.

I can agree they can make themselves up to be even more beautiful (not the word I would use) than ordinary women. After 27 years of visiting Thailand (half of those as a resident), I've learned to spot guys who act overly feminine and overly made-up as lady boys - though admittedly, sometimes there's some doubt.

Be that as it may (though affected personalities irk me), I think we can all agree that lady boys are very often hyper sensitive of other peoples' reactions to them (whether real or imagined). Such sensitivity is a mm away from being offended. I know of many Thai lady boys who work in shops which I frequent, many of whom share pleasant greetings with me - same as any other shop workers. Indeed, one of the managers at my biz is a lady-boy.

However, I can foresee scenarios, with the airline hostess thing, where some lady-boys could get offended - which could lead to confrontations or hurt feelings, at the least. I, for one, will not fly PC for that reason - (put another way) with workers 'walking on pins and needles' and the likelihood that a glance or a remark might be misconstrued, and workers get their emotions all twisted up and get offended, ....then retribution, etc.

Mostly Thais don't mind. Thai kids in school accept lady boys at a very young age. Some hi so kids may complain but that is because they have been exposed to a lot of Western prejudice.

It is too bad but expected to see so much deep seated bigotry such as (Regular men and women for me, thanks).

And I bet you don't even think it is bigotry. Oh well in a few parts of the world homosexuality is still a crime.

Mostly Thais don't mind. Thai kids in school accept lady boys at a very young age. Some hi so kids may complain but that is because they have been exposed to a lot of Western prejudice.

It is too bad but expected to see so much deep seated bigotry such as (Regular men and women for me, thanks).

And I bet you don't even think it is bigotry. Oh well in a few parts of the world homosexuality is still a crime.

Ladyboys are not accepted all around the world, in some countries they get jailed or killed.

Ladyboys are not very common in most other countries. Yes there are men who dress as women but only very few go through with the surgery and hormone treatment.

So why is it that there are so many ladyboys in Thailand? and it is so acceptable as some like to think(mind you i strongly disagree, as every time i see a Thai dealing with a ladyboy, they always laugh at them and rather speak not so very nice)

Why is it that with such a large number of ladyboys in Thailand, so many chose to be prostitutes? I can not help but wonder if it is truly a feeling of that person or just a way to make money.

Many people here seem to be little confused with the term. There are MAN who dress as a WOMAN, those are not ladyboys-transvestites

MAN who have the surgery, either full cut or just breasts and hormone treatment are the ladyboys-transsexuals

Gay and Lesbian is accepted worldwide, but transsexuals are NOT.

Considering that Thailand is not the center of the universe or a trend setter, i really do not see this idea spreading further to other countries or regions.

Also since the airline wants to be so open minded, why have they made a rule that candidates must have full surgery? So is it really as accepted as some posters like to believe?

PS. The only jobs transsexuals(ladyboys) have in the West is in gay bars and nowhere else. HOWEVER transvestites can have any jobs because while at work they do not dress up.

A major difference between transvestites and transsexuals is the extent to which their transgender activities pervade their lifestyle. Usually, those who have undergone reassignment surgery will live openly and constantly as their chosen sex. Transvestites will often confine their transgender activities to specific portions of their lives, remaining in traditional gender roles much of the time.

Edited by kuffki

Ladyboys are not accepted all around the world, in some countries they get jailed or killed.

Ladyboys are not very common in most other countries. Yes there are men who dress as women but only very few go through with the surgery and hormone treatment.

So why is it that there are so many ladyboys in Thailand? and it is so acceptable as some like to think(mind you i strongly disagree, as every time i see a Thai dealing with a ladyboy, they always laugh at them and rather speak not so very nice)

Why is it that with such a large number of ladyboys in Thailand, so many chose to be prostitutes? I can not help but wonder if it is truly a feeling of that person or just a way to make money.

Many people here seem to be little confused with the term. There are MAN who dress as a WOMAN, those are not ladyboys-transvestites

MAN who have the surgery, either full cut or just breasts and hormone treatment are the ladyboys-transsexuals

Gay and Lesbian is accepted worldwide, but transsexuals are NOT.

Considering that Thailand is not the center of the universe or a trend setter, i really do not see this idea spreading further to other countries or regions.

Also since the airline wants to be so open minded, why have they made a rule that candidates must have full surgery? So is it really as accepted as some posters like to believe?

PS. The only jobs transsexuals(ladyboys) have in the West is in gay bars and nowhere else. HOWEVER transvestites can have any jobs because while at work they do not dress up.

A major difference between transvestites and transsexuals is the extent to which their transgender activities pervade their lifestyle. Usually, those who have undergone reassignment surgery will live openly and constantly as their chosen sex. Transvestites will often confine their transgender activities to specific portions of their lives, remaining in traditional gender roles much of the time.

Before I get all defensive I think we should get the terms straight.

Thais call gays lady boys. Falangs do not.

There is a lady boy who is a male and retains his organs.

A post op lady boy is one who has had a sex change operation.

Agree? Feel free to add any terms you think is necessary for a discussion of the issues.

Agree? Feel free to add any terms you think is necessary for a discussion of the issues.

There are only 2 terms

1. transvestites(Gay or straight men who like to dress as a woman, also can be called cross dressers. NO surgery of any kind, no hormones) Gay man, Drag, Cross dressers.

2. transsexuals(have had some surgery and are on hormones)Ladyboys

The difference ONCE AGAIN between transvestites and transsexuals is the extent to which their transgender activities pervade their lifestyle. Usually, those who have undergone reassignment surgery will live openly and constantly as their chosen sex. Transvestites will often confine their transgender activities to specific portions of their lives, remaining in traditional gender roles much of the time

Thai's call everyone in the category ladyboy, just try to get Thai to pronounce transvestites or transsexualbiggrin.gif

Edited by kuffki

There are only 2 terms

1. transvestites(Gay or straight men who like to dress as a woman, also can be called cross dressers. NO surgery of any kind, no hormones) Gay man, Drag, Cross dressers.

The difference ONCE AGAIN between transvestites and transsexuals is the extent to which their transgender activities pervade their lifestyle. Usually, those who have undergone reassignment surgery will live openly and constantly as their chosen sex. Transvestites will often confine their transgender activities to specific portions of their lives, remaining in traditional gender roles much of the time

Thai's call everyone in the category ladyboy, just try to get Thai to pronounce transvestites or transsexualbiggrin.gif

A man who is attracted to other men and who dresses as a woman 24/7 and has dressed as a woman 24/7 since he was 5 years old but has had no surgery is called a what?

There are only 2 terms

A man who is attracted to other men and who dresses as a woman 24/7 and has dressed as a woman 24/7 since he was 5 years old but has had no surgery is called a what?

transvestite is the correct term or gay man cross dresser if you like, unless that man has had some kind of surgery or is on hormones. If this man has not had either, then he is just a man who dresses as a woman and has a full, normal body of a male.

Edited by kuffki

There are only 2 terms

Is this a trick question? UMM ok I will take a shot at it my answer is Homosexual? Is that right. I love these quiz nights :D

There are only 2 terms

You are talking at cross purposes here -- there is a large cultural difference between Thai and farang on this.

The transvestite/transexual definitions work fine in westen countries, but they do not fit Thai differences at all. These terms classify people based upon their most frequent sexual orientation ( or in other terms, their inner sexual orientation.)

The Thai definition of ladyboy is based primarily on sexual attraction. Therefore, if your ID says male and you prefer sex with men, you are a ladyboy whether you live/dress as a woman or not.. In Thailand gay is lady boy also.

There are no equivalnt categories in Thailand for homosexuals, transvestites and transexuals -- they are only farang concepts.

Edited by tigermonkey

There are only 2 terms

transvestite is the correct term or gay man cross dresser if you like, unless that man has had some kind of surgery or is on hormones. If this man has not had either, then he is just a man who dresses as a woman and has a full, normal body of a male.

Sorry but if you did a standard psychological profile of this person in a western country, the classificaton would be transexual . In Thailand, you dont need any profile -- simply katoey will do !

Edited by tigermonkey

Sorry but if you did a standard psychological profile of this person in a western country, the classificaton would be transexual . In Thailnd, you dont need anty profile -- simply katoey !

Not to argue but transexual is a man who has had some kind of sex change surgery so this would be transvestite since no surgery

Transexual is a human being whose gender identity differs from her/his geneticsex...male to female (M2F) or female to male (F2M)...s/he may have gone through gender/sex reassignment surgery (post-op) or not yet (pre-op) or never (non-op)...

not to be confused with: intersexed - one born with mixed or ambiguous genetics; crossdresser or transvestite - one who dresses in the attire of the opposite sex, for males anything from panties or stockings to dresses and makeup; drag queen or drag/king - one who performs in attire of the opposite sex, usually a gay male or female entertainer...

transgender is simply an umbrella term for all of the above...the vast majority are crossdressers...NOT transexuals...wearing a dress, however pretty, does NOT mean that a guy is a transexual...and transexuals can be straight, gay or bi...

Edited by kuffki

There are only 2 terms

It wasn't a trick question. I know a lot of lady boys because my boss for three years was a lady boy. None of them had any surgery and they all lived as women, and had lived as women since childhood, most had husbands. Thailand had a whole lot of lady boys who married men way before there was plastic surgery.

I would go out on a limb here and say 90% of the lady boys living as women in Thailand have had no surgery at all.

For the sake of discussion I could call them transvestite but it seems a bit silly since everyone in Thailand and we are in Thailand calls them lady boys.

See what I mean? I am sure on Thai Visa one can't refer to a lady boy as a gay man cross dresser.

Edited by mark45y

There are only 2 terms

You are talking at cross purposes here -- there is a large cultural difference between Thai and farang on this.

The transvestite/transexual definitions work fine in westen countries, but they do not fit Thai differences at all. These terms classify people based upon their most frequent sexual orientation ( or in other terms, their inner sexual orientation.)

The Thai definition of ladyboy is based primarily on sexual attraction. Therefore, if your ID says male and you prefer sex with men, you are a ladyboy whether you live/dress as a woman or not.. In Thailand gay is lady boy also.

They don't fit here or in the west unless we just want to make up definitions. I suggest you guys do a little bit more research.

Transsexual is somebody who simply sees themselves as another gender. No need for surgery involved, they simply have what is termed a "gender identity disorder"

Transvestite is somebody who likes to dress as the opposite sex and doesn't indicate a sexual preference. They may be a heterosexual.

Ladyboy is any man who outwardly acts female. This can be a feminent gay to a man who had surgery to become a women.

Also, you cannot change your sex on your ID in Thailand regardless of how much you physically change through surgery. So, whatever a Thai citizen is born as they will always remain that sex on their ID and Passport as long as they are a Thai citizen.

Edit: Girlie Men are any men that disagree with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Edited by Nisa

It wasn't a trick question. I know a lot of lady boys because my boss for three years was a lady boy. None of them had any surgery and they all lived as women, and had lived as women since childhood, most had husbands. Thailand had a whole lot of lady boys who married men way before there was plastic surgery.

I would go out on a limb here and say 90% of the lady boys living as women in Thailand have had no surgery at all.

For the sake of discussion I could call them transvestite but it seems a bit silly since everyone in Thailand and we are in Thailand calls them lady boys.

See what I mean? I am sure on Thai Visa one can't refer to a lady boy as a gay man cross dresser.

LOL, i think we have gone very far from my original post.

The point i was making in the original post was why is there so many MEN in Thailand who undergo the surgery and a large number chose to be prostitute?

Does Thailand have the largest number of men in the world who want to be women? or feel or identify as women?

And hence airline wants to be so open minded, then why do they require for candidates to undergo the surgery?

A male actor in a Broadway musical? laugh.gif

Back at DM airport, years ago, I was stuck in a transit space with other passengers - waiting for hours for a delayed take-off. On the intercom, there were loud (very loud, as it has to be in Thailand) announcements every minute or so. The voice was obviously a trans-sexual (I hesitate to say the 'k' word on T.Visa, for fear of being bounced). There was muted giggling adjoining each announcement. For some people, that may seem fine, but others of us don't particularly like being loudly spoken at, with a feminine man's overly-effeminate voice accompanied by giggling - periodically for hours on end.

What's so bad about it, na ha?

A fagged? :jap:

A fagged? :jap:

The end of the family name? whistling.gif

Back at DM airport, years ago, I was stuck in a transit space with other passengers - waiting for hours for a delayed take-off. On the intercom, there were loud (very loud, as it has to be in Thailand) announcements every minute or so. The voice was obviously a trans-sexual (I hesitate to say the 'k' word on T.Visa, for fear of being bounced). There was muted giggling adjoining each announcement. For some people, that may seem fine, but others of us don't particularly like being loudly spoken at, with a feminine man's overly-effeminate voice accompanied by giggling - periodically for hours on end.

What's so bad about it, na ha?

Yes, I am wondering if any of the things separately would have been okay or was it just the combination of the loudness, overly-effeminate voice and giggling that traumatized him to the point of not letting this go after all these years wink.gif

All of you who don't want to be served by transsexual air hostesses- quit whining? Why do you care what's under the clothes of the person who serves you drinks, delivers safety information and helps manage the plane in an emergency situation? How is it remotely relevant to you personally?

All of you who don't want to be served by transsexual air hostesses- quit whining? Why do you care what's under the clothes of the person who serves you drinks, delivers safety information and helps manage the plane in an emergency situation? How is it remotely relevant to you personally?

So perhaps you can explain why airline requires all candidates to undergo full surgery??? Since none of it is important as you stated

630l.jpg

Pic from today's Thairath showing some of the ladies, both real and transgender, along with Peter Chan, (orange tie), applying for air hostess positions with PC Air at Esplanade Shopping Mall yesterday in BKK's Ratchadapisek area.

Apparently Peter Chan's previous occupation was as a fortune teller and horoscope writer.

According to the article, PC Air has two Airbus 310222 aeroplanes with 228 seats per plane, and plans to begin flying at the end of February 2011, initially in Asia and later further afield.

http://www.thairath.co.th/today/view/143906