International community strongly condemns Moscow terror attack

News_Editor

International community strongly condemns Moscow terror attack

2011-01-25 13:02:17 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) -- The international community on Monday strongly condemned the suicide bombing which killed at least 34 people at Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport, calling it inhumane and unacceptable.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen was among the first international leaders to condemn the attack, which happened in the international arrivals hall at 4.32 p.m. local time in a general area where persons who are not passengers have free access. "I strongly condemn this horrific act," Rasmussen said.

"I express my condolences to the families of those killed and injured and to the Russian people. We are in this fight together. This is why in the NATO-Russia Council we have to strengthen our cooperation in the fight against terrorism," the NATO leader said, adding that terrorism is a 'common threat' that 'we have to face united.'

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also condemned the attack, saying he was appalled by it. "The Secretary-General condemns this deplorable and unjustifiable act of violence against innocents. He conveys his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and his solidarity with the Government and people of the Russian Federation," his personal spokesman said.

European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek said terrorism and violence can never be justified. "I am sympathetic to the people of Russia who have repeatedly suffered from similar inhumane acts in the recent past," he said.

In the United States, the Deputy National Security Advisor for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, John Brennan, personally informed President Obama about the events in Russia. "I strongly condemn this outrageous act of terrorism against the Russian people at the Domodedovo Airport," Obama said in a statement read by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

"Michelle and I offer our deepest condolences to the Russian people, who have suffered greatly at the hands of terrorism. We share your sorrow and a resolve to stand with you in our common fight against those who use terrorism for their political goals," Obama added, while Gibbs said the United States would offer any assistance to Russia if requested.

Also in the United States, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joined Obama in condemning the terrorist attack. "The United States condemns terrorism and all forms of violence against the innocent, wherever it occurs. We stand with the victims of these crimes and we will continue to work with the international community to combat violent extremism that threatens peace-loving people everywhere," Clinton added.

In Australia, Minister for Defence Stephen Smith called terrorism and extreme acts of violence a 'regrettably terrible factor of modern life.' "That's why the Australian Government and the international community do everything they can to minimize the chance that these terrible events occur," he said, adding that he was not aware of any Australian casualties.

Also Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke about the attack, saying the Canadian government strongly condemned the attack. "The use of violence against innocent people must never be tolerated and we condemn those responsible for this horrible act," Harper said. "The international community faces an ongoing threat of terrorism and must remain vigilant as we work together with our allies to prevent future attacks."

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister David Cameron spoke to Russian President Medvedev to make 'clear that the people of Britain stand with the people of Russia at this tragic time,' according to the UK Foreign Office.

"I condemn the mindless act of terrorism that took place this afternoon at Moscow's Domodedovo airport," said British Foreign Secretary William Hague. "Such acts can have no justification and serve no purpose. My deepest sympathies go out to the families, relatives and friends of those have tragically lost their lives and to all that have been affected by these attacks."

Further, the Kremlin said Medvedev had also spoken to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Spanish King Juan Carlos I and Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-25