Yellow Shirts Stage New Thailand Protest

webfact

Yellow Shirts stage new Thailand protest

BANGKOK, January 25, 2011 (AFP) - Around 2,000 nationalist Thai "Yellow Shirts" rallied in Bangkok on Tuesday to demonstrate against the government's handling of a border territory dispute with neigbouring Cambodia.

The latest round of the kingdom's street protests came two days after a large rally by the rival "Red Shirts", and a day after the arrest of five men with explosives, following a tip-off to police about potential bomb attacks.

A 3,000-strong security force was on hand at Tuesday's gathering near Government House, where the Yellows accused Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva of failing to defend long-disputed territory from Cambodia.

"We have made our suggestions to the government but they have failed to act, so we have no other choice," a leading Yellow protester, Chamlong Srimuang, told reporters at the rally site.

The border issue has heated up since seven Thais were arrested in Cambodia in December for illegal entry and trespassing in the disputed zone, including a Yellow activist who remains in jail in Cambodia, also facing spying charges.

The Yellows, officially known as the People's Alliance for Democracy, used to be closely linked to Abhisit, who came to power in 2008 after their protests helped to bring down former governments, but relations have since soured.

Those 2008 rallies by the movement culminated with the seizure of two Bangkok airports, stranding more than 300,000 travellers and causing crippling economic damage.

The PAD are powerful players in Thailand's colour-coded politics, backed by the Bangkok-based elite and arch-rivals of the Red Shirts, who held their most recent protest on Sunday attracting around 27,000 supporters.

More than 90 people were left dead after clashes between Red Shirts and troops in Bangkok in April and May last year, during protests by the Reds demanding snap elections.

Police believe the five men who were arrested with various explosive devices on Monday night "wanted to create troubles", although it was not clear if they were linked to either the Red or Yellow group.

Thai authorities denied accusations of a set-up to prevent people attending rallies.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-01-25

Yellow-shirt rally draws some 2,500 so far

As of 4:30 pm, Tuesday, the rally of the People's Alliance for Democracy near the Government House has attached some 2,500 supporters, police said.

Their leaders used a six-wheel truck a temporary stage to address the demonstrators.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-25

PAD's Demands Branded Harmful to Country

The acting chief of the Provincial Police Bureau 1 affirms that the arrests of suspects with explosives was not staged to scare the public from joining the People's Alliance for Democracy rally.

Meanwhile, the deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs says the group's three conditions are harmful to the country.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said that the three conditions put forward by the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, on the Thai-Cambodian border disputes are harmful to the nation and it is impossible for the prime minister to comply with their demands.

The PAD is calling on the government to withdraw Thailand's membership of the World Heritage Committee, cancel the 2000 memorandum of understanding with Cambodia and push out Cambodian settlements on Thai territory.

When asked about a possibility for talks with the PAD's leaders to seek a solution, Suthep said it depends on the premier's decision.

Suthep said his responsibility is to maintain peace and order and stressed that it is still unnecessary to impose the Emergency Decree because the police are able to keep the situation under control.

The deputy premier denied speculations about a possible military coup following the rallies by the PAD and the red-shirt group at the same time.

He said he has been working closely with the armed forces commanders for more than a year and is confident that plans for another coup are not on their mind since they are all believers of democratic principles and are working for the interest of the country.

In the meantime, Senior Police Adviser Police General Asawin Kwanmuan, also acting commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 1, and Metropolitan Police Commissioner Police Lieutenant General Chakthip Chaichinda this morning met the deputy prime minister to report the current situation and the arrests of five suspects in possession of weapons and ammunition last night.

Suthep said he is concerned that some people may exploit the situation to stir up chaos, so he has assigned Asawin to closely monitor any unusual activity.

Asawin affirmed that the arrests of the suspects were not plotted to discourage the public from joining the PADs' rally, but said that police had mobilized forces to monitor the movement of a suspicious group for more than three months.

As for the investigation, the suspects confessed to having been involved in the blasts at the Big C superstore in Ratchaprasong area and Soi Rang Nam.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-25

footer_n.gif

Isn't this rather good for Abhisit and his party to be further distanced from PAD, which definitely represents many fewer Thais than either the democrats or the red shirts?

Ummm I don't know how many Thai people are in favor of the PAD's position on Cambodia, do you?

No, but my strong impression over the years has been that PAD has a smaller hard core base of supporters than the red shirts.

the more the money, the more the support...

I don't think there is a way to measure the support base for the PAD. If, however, jingthing means willing to do violence by his use of hard-core, then I would agree.

The support base for the PAD in the past nay well be different than that of any of the split yellow-shirts now. They may have come to the realization that Thaksin as the bogeyman will only work while Thaksin is in the news, and for them to stay relevant they needed something more.... live those pesky land-grabbing Cambodians.

The support base for the PAD in the past may well be different than that of any of the split yellow-shirts now.

Unquestionably. In their heyday, PAD drew 50,000 and more routinely.

I wasn't meaning who showed up (I wouldn't say there are only 30k reds either) ---- I mean people who think/feel mostly in synch with the PAD. In the earlier rallies I think they appealed to more of the middleclass/educated parts of society. This rally though may bring them more far-reaching support --- even into some that think of themselves as "red"

PAD to stay put at Makkawan Bridge unless demands are heard

BANGKOK, 25 January 2011 (NNT) – Core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Chamlong Srimuang has declared that the protest at Makkawan Rangsan Bridge will be prolonged if the group’s demands are left unheard.

Maj Gen Chamlong stated that the PAD demonstration today at Makkawan Rangsan Bridge is aimed to call for the government to take into consideration the three recommendations presented earlier. The yellow-clad protesters suggested that Thailand be withdrawn from the World Heritage Committee, the 2000 Thai-Cambodian MOU on border demarcation be canceled and the Cambodian soldiers be dispelled from the disputed area.

The PAD core leader believed that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his administration had full capability to do as requested but chose to remain indifferent. According to him, the protesters had no other choice but to stage a gathering; however, if the government comes up with a better alternative without causing the country to lose its land, the group would be willing to give it a thought.

As for the current demonstration, Maj Gen Chamlong confirmed that the group would not move an inch from Makkawan Rangsan Bridge during the next 1-2 days unless the Prime Minister agrees to follow the given demands, in which case the group would disperse immediately.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-25 footer_n.gif

PAD activists start fresh rally, block traffic on Ratchadamnoen Avenue

BANGKOK, Jan 25 -- The 'Yellow Shirt' People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) kicked off their fresh demonstration on Tuesday afternoon at Makkhawan Bridge on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue to press the government to accept their demands over the Thai-Cambodian border disputes.

Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue between Misakawan intersection and Makkhawan Bridge was totally closed for vehicles as a stage, tents and facilities for encampment were set up.

Key PAD leader Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang threatened to prolong the rally nearby Government House until Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva responds to their demands.

He said firstly the government must revoke the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed by Thailand and Cambodia concerning their border disputes. The ultra nationalist movement claimed that the 2000 MoU puts Thailand at a disadvantage in handling such disputes with the neighbouring country.

Second, the government must withdraw from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Committee and remove Cambodian people from disputed border areas near Preah Vihear Temple.

Gen Chamlong stressed that there would be no negotiation with the government on its request to end the demonstration.

The former Bangkok governor said that he was well aware that the rally would affect the traffic and student access to schools as there are many schools around the protest site, but he asked for understanding as the issue of territorial integrity was very important.

The PAD co-leader said that he is unworried about the security measures even though the seizure of home-made bombs and ammunition, and the arrest of five men claiming that they have targeted causing trouble at the demonstration.

Gen Chamlong said he believes the capability of the police and the cooperation on the security measures to ensure the safety of the protesters.

Security has been tightened around Government House where 24 companies of police -- some 4,000 personnel -- were deployed early Tuesday to ensure law and order. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-25

Chamlong is an interesting character.  I think he is much more dangerous than Khittiya ever was.  Seh Daeng was boisterous and violent.  Chamlong is intelligent and cunning--a much more dangerous combination.  

We could be in for some very interesting times.  

Chamlong is an interesting character. I think he is much more dangerous than Khittiya ever was. Seh Daeng was boisterous and violent. Chamlong is intelligent and cunning--a much more dangerous combination.

The question is dangerous for whom? Chamlong is an ascetic that can sacrifice anything including his comfort and not hesitate to do so. He is also a leader (like Seh Daeng was -- but not crazy and stupid) that leads from the front. People respect that. If it weren't for Santi-Asoke Chamlong would be an even more powerful player in Thai society than he currently is. He would know this too. Which means that his long-term goals are what matters to him and nothing else. You are right, he's scary! (because he actually is impressive). I believe his dedication to his beliefs would preclude him from killing, I do not believe they would preclude him from walking hundreds into martydom -- with him in the front. Then again, I could be wrong and he could just be one more conniving politician ;)

Chamlong is an interesting character.  I think he is much more dangerous than Khittiya ever was.  Seh Daeng was boisterous and violent.  Chamlong is intelligent and cunning--a much more dangerous combination.  

The question is dangerous for whom? Chamlong is an ascetic that can sacrifice anything including his comfort and not hesitate to do so. He is also a leader (like Seh Daeng was -- but not crazy and stupid) that leads from the front. People respect that. If it weren't for Santi-Asoke Chamlong would be an even more powerful player in Thai society than he currently is. He would know this too. Which means that his long-term goals are what matters to him and nothing else. You are right, he's scary! (because he actually is impressive). I believe his dedication to his beliefs would preclude him from killing, I do not believe they would preclude him from walking hundreds into martydom -- with him in the front. Then again, I could be wrong and he could just be one more conniving politician ;)

Chamlong is dangerous to his enemies and I certainly wouldn't want to be on the other side of this guy.  Your post sums up his ability and capability quite well.  I don't think he is a conniving politician, but he has been in politics and I don't think he is above creating a situation that could cause problems--like the martydom you referred to.

I don't agree with his political views but he has my admiration and he's one of the most interesting players in the game.  

Chamlong is dangerous to his enemies and I certainly wouldn't want to be on the other side of this guy. Your post sums up his ability and capability quite well. I don't think he is a conniving politician, but he has been in politics and I don't think he is above creating a situation that could cause problems--like the martydom you referred to.

I don't agree with his political views but he has my admiration and he's one of the most interesting players in the game.

I have met him twice in Nakhon Pathom (Pathom Asoke Community there). Like I said, he's scary because he's impressive. He was a very nice man and it was interesting to hear him speak.

Hammered pointed out that Newin is impressive (my word) because he's like a cat and always lands on his feet. Chamlong possibly doesn't care how or if he lands as long as he accomplishes his goals.

CPH --- I wouldn't assume that this will affect the Baht. The strengthening of the USD is shifting things a little right now but it likely won't be much.