Qantas Plane Forced To Land In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several reasons for the good safety record for Qantas compared to some other airlines. Maintenance (or where it is carried out) is perhaps one aspect although I am not convinced it is a major factor. Some other reasons are;

• our relatively benign weather - we do not get freezing icey weather that plagues most of the northern hemisphere. Qantas planes are not exposed to this weather anywhere near as much as a European or north american / canadian airline. Similarly we do not get monsoonal downpours that Asian airlines in particular are exposed to. Although the incident in thailand where that qantas plane ended up running off the runway onto a golf course (and probably shoud have resulted in a 'hull loss') and which was the indirect result of management cost cutting was in these weather conditions.
  • the fact that we do not have a large number of aircraft operating many short distance flights (we do have the melbourne / syd and Brisbane / syd routes). American and european airlines have more short routes which exposes their aircraft frames to more fatigue and also their engines.
  • the relatively young fleet that Qantas had up until about 10- 15 years ago. I remember they used to publish the average age of their aircraft in their on board magazine (do they still do that?) last time I looked was about 10 years ago - the average had crept up to about 8.5 years - from around 5 years. and they had just converted two 747 freighters into passenger aircraft. One was 9 years old, the other 15 years old !

I believe that the last point may be one reason why there are more problems occuring now - especially with the 747 fleet which must be getting near the end of their life. This would be impacted by the delay of the A380 and the 787 as well as by general cost cutting.

I will only fly qantas to redeem my existing points (if i can ever get a booking) and even then will try and get a code share airline. I have flown many other airlines that have always been cheaper than qantas (who seem to be only about the 4th or 5th cheapest), and the other airlines offer better service - thai, singapore, even Emirates who are much more price competitive. Qantas has been in decline for a while and I suspect that manifest itself in the attitudes of the air crew (low morale). the constant costs cutting are one cause.

Interesting topic. Despite the anti Qantas bashing their safety record is still peerless. I believe many airlines give their maintenance to others. Some because the other airline does it better. I spoke to a Swiss German who spent night shifts maintaining foreign airlines. It could just be bad luck for Qantas or perhaps they are more cautious. The 747 that turned back; would every airline do that? Safe flying to all.

Would you rather fly with an Airline that gives a hoot about theyr passengers, at least Qantas is doing the right thing and land the Aircraft that experiences some problems and therefore makes sure that the passengers are save. I fly anytime with them

Qantas aircraft have been suffering too many mishaps since 4 years ago.

Initially it was their 737, which they blame malaysian airlines who did some maintenance on the aircraft. several weeks after, it was one of their wide bodied aircraft, which they maintain themselves. then there was the dive in the A330 which injured several

Now it seems, the frequency of their mishaps has gone up. I suspect somebody in their workforce could be up to no good. He has been doing this for many years now, and nobody can pin him down.

What you need to seriously doubt is the efficacy of those yellow dixie cups that drop in the back..

Be assured the pilots have something a bit more substantial than a yellow dixie cup, and who really cares if the passengers and the hosties pass out as long as the pilots are awake.......you will wake up when the pilots DESCEND to 10,000 ft again.

A few years ago there has been a plane crash (in Greece) because not only the passengers but also the pilots

got unconscious.

What a shame ! All those years to build a good reputation and a lot of effot to keep it during the 1970's up until he last few years and now reputation destroyed because of cost cutting :bah:

Someone said it was BA that changed the culture about safety first.

I am far from being a fan of QANTAS -- but because of their terrible standard of customer service -- not because of any safety concerns. The most recent fatality QANTAS has suffered was some 60 years ago!

All the headlines about the engine problems with the new A380 aircraft --- which has kicked off endless rants about overseas aircraft maintenance --- ignores the fact that these new engines are all currently maintained by the manufacturer ---- Rolls Royce. All maintenance on the QANTAS A380s is carried out in Germany. QANTAS does no maintenance in Indonesia to my knowledge.

Cost cutting ?? --- It seems not ..... with their immediate grounding of all QANTAS A380s --- at a cost to QANTAS of (so far) 1 Billion dollars. Singapore Airlines followed QANTAS' lead.

Measuring passenger/airmiles flown QANTAS is still the safest international airline in the world.

I try really hard not to fly them --- but only because of their rotten customer care & service.

" prompting the pilot to dive 8,000 metres (26,000 feet)".

I seriously doubt they dived 8k meters.Probably descended IMO.

Loss of cabin pressure means they have to, the passengers and crew be passing out otherwise.

Spot on. During pilot training (emergency procedures), it is standard to dive the aircraft down to 10,000ft in the of rapid depressurisation of the cabin. The pilots don oxygen masks. However this would not be possible whilst over a mountain range! I rehearsed this many times but never had to use it for real

Sad to see what was once recognized as "the world's safest airline" decline to the point of being just any other. It was their supreme competitive advantage that no other airline could touch... the world of flying and travelers all knew it.

They should have kept maintenance in their own hands and jealously safeguarded their reputation.

I am sure there are multiple factors and other pressures (such as rising fuel costs) for subcon'ing their maintenance, but chasing market share and trying to keep prices low is a common mistake. Sometimes CEO's forget that "market share" doesn't always pay the bills. Sometimes its better to be the "premium" brand with higher prices than to compete in the low-margin game.

If they are chasing market share by (still) providing the best safety record, I am market. Glad to hear they returned that flight to Bangkok before anything happened.

I have been a Star Alliance member since Thai Airways offered this in 1995, and have a Gold Member for a while. But that doesn't cover all destinations I need to travel to, so I recently (last year) became a OneWorld member on Qantas.

I flew JetStar once, no thanks. I'm not in the market for budget carriers, but that's another discussion.

Never had a problem with service or time schedule on Qantas. I feel quite safe on their aircraft.

What you need to seriously doubt is the efficacy of those yellow dixie cups that drop in the back..

Be assured the pilots have something a bit more substantial than a yellow dixie cup, and who really cares if the passengers and the hosties pass out as long as the pilots are awake.......you will wake up when the pilots DESCEND to 10,000 ft again.

A few years ago there has been a plane crash (in Greece) because not only the passengers but also the pilots

got unconscious.

Pilot was probly on his mobile.

An aircraft at 22,000 feet, passengers and crew would have 5 minutes of “useful consciousness” after rapid decompression. But at 43,000 feet, the time drops to a mere 5 seconds, hardly long enough to don an oxygen mask...

Without rapid re-compression (by reducing altitude) there is a possibly of anoxic brain damage. i.e. if the plane does not decent quickly enough to an altitude with sufficient oxygen levels after passing out the next stage is people would have permanent brain damage (I'm not sure of the duration it would take for this to occur - but guess approximately 5 minutes in an anoxic environment).

got unconscious.

Pilot was probly on his mobile.

Grow up

Interesting topic. Despite the anti Qantas bashing their safety record is still peerless. I believe many airlines give their maintenance to others. Some because the other airline does it better. I spoke to a Swiss German who spent night shifts maintaining foreign airlines. It could just be bad luck for Qantas or perhaps they are more cautious. The 747 that turned back; would every airline do that? Safe flying to all.

what you say may be true if you looked back 10-15 years, try looking back 12 months............there is a trend and it's not good

An aircraft at 22,000 feet, passengers and crew would have 5 minutes of “useful consciousness” after rapid decompression. But at 43,000 feet, the time drops to a mere 5 seconds, hardly long enough to don an oxygen mask...

Without rapid re-compression (by reducing altitude) there is a possibly of anoxic brain damage. i.e. if the plane does not decent quickly enough to an altitude with sufficient oxygen levels after passing out the next stage is people would have permanent brain damage (I'm not sure of the duration it would take for this to occur - but guess approximately 5 minutes in an anoxic environment).

First, commercial airlines commonly fly between 30 and 35,000 ft, although occasionally 39,000 ft, and very rarely above that. This depending on many factors including weight and winds.

Second, check your numbers. Here is a link that will explain this more clearly. Click here

Even a decent at 5000 ft per minute which is not excessive in a modern airliner will have you back below 20,000 ft in 3 minutes or so.

First, commercial airlines commonly fly between 30 and 35,000 ft, although occasionally 39,000 ft, and very rarely above that. This depending on many factors including weight and winds.

Second, check your numbers. Here is a link that will explain this more clearly. Click here

Even a decent at 5000 ft per minute which is not excessive in a modern airliner will have you back below 20,000 ft in 3 minutes or so.

Maximum operating altitude of a 747 is 41,000ft as certified by Boeing. It has to be pretty light to get up to 41,000ft though. CNDinKS is right on, the typical altitudes for a 747 with a good load is around 35,000. They do fly lower depending on winds, traffic, weather (turb, etc). Sometimes down in the high 20's.

True they have not killed a passenger yet..... but with the increasing levels of inflight defects, How long will it be before they loose a plane.

I have been flying with Thai air for a few years now but this year I decided to use Qantas for domestic travel in Australia. The first thing about Business class is that they use similar size seats as they do in Thai economy class, but much older and they even come with food stains on the backs of the seats. I sat in my seat and it rattled in its floor clamps and the seat folded back onto the person behind me with the smallest effort. I shook other seats and they all rattled in the mounting clips. The plane also showed other signs or poor matinence or cleaning with many of the smaller fittings not refitter correctly leavind a raised section on the corners, Even the escape door plastic cover for the handle was repaired with clear gaffa tape, I wish I had my camera.

Mabey I am used to using Thai airways for international travel and domestic in thailand...... mabey they really have reverted back to cattle class on everything.

I think in 10 years when I fly Quaint arse again it will be just a tube with hay on the floor for the passengers. Cost savings and they can fit more passengers if they make them all stand up.

..... I don't understand why people still fly on Qantas coffins.

The fact that Qantas has not had a fatal accident since 16th July 1951 may be a contributory factor.

If someone has an email address for Mr Joyce of Qantas, please send a link to this thread to him.

After that Qantas will never have another problem due to the advice given here.

So many here will then fly nothing else other than Qantas, that they will be the only airline left with enough passengers to fly outa BKK.

True they have not killed a passenger yet..... but with the increasing levels of inflight defects, How long will it be before they loose a plane.

I have been flying with Thai air for a few years now but this year I decided to use Qantas for domestic travel in Australia. The first thing about Business class is that they use similar size seats as they do in Thai economy class, but much older and they even come with food stains on the backs of the seats. I sat in my seat and it rattled in its floor clamps and the seat folded back onto the person behind me with the smallest effort. I shook other seats and they all rattled in the mounting clips. The plane also showed other signs or poor matinence or cleaning with many of the smaller fittings not refitter correctly leavind a raised section on the corners, Even the escape door plastic cover for the handle was repaired with clear gaffa tape, I wish I had my camera.

Mabey I am used to using Thai airways for international travel and domestic in thailand...... mabey they really have reverted back to cattle class on everything.

I think in 10 years when I fly Quaint arse again it will be just a tube with hay on the floor for the passengers. Cost savings and they can fit more passengers if they make them all stand up.

The fact that Qantas has not had a fatal accident since 16th July 1951 may be a contributory factor.

There will be question marks regarding travelling Qantas, recently the incidents have been quite a few, But their record still stands good,--Now David_dyer Thai flyer, you are sort of saying Qantas is a bit dodgy--Ha, look at the Thai record-and compare, compare the ages of the thai and qantas aeroplanes, Qantas are far ahead on updated -on board-and aircraft. If I had a brain-and I dont have--I would prefer Qantas-----------but I travel, Etihad-Emirates-Eva, think better chance of survival,in general.

I read where OZ unions were protesting about QANTAS farming out maintenance to Indonesia.

Anybody know if that is still the case?

Funny, I avoid Qantas, but still use Jetstar.

Yes, Pete, the Worlds Safest Airline is now just one of the rest.

Last tine I flew Quaintarse my seatmate was a total drunk and all the stewards did was give him more liquor BEFORE HE ASKED !

Then they lost my luggage in Shangahai.

iId rather fly Thai !

in the land of drinking and driving? ? ?

I was always wonder when the last time they had a drink!

• 1 month later...

True that Qantas Have better planes that drop, roll loose engines and other parts. True that thai air have crashed a plane or two, but on the aircraft I have flown with Thai, the seats are held firm to the floor, the seats are clean and without food splashed on the backs of the seatsin front and all the pannels fit smooth and of the same colour, there is no tape holding Escape door pannels in place and althought the seats might be the same size, they feel very firm and uncomfortable.

This is supposed to be the better Qantas planes???

There will be question marks regarding travelling Qantas, recently the incidents have been quite a few, But their record still stands good,--Now David_dyer Thai flyer, you are sort of saying Qantas is a bit dodgy--Ha, look at the Thai record-and compare, compare the ages of the thai and qantas aeroplanes, Qantas are far ahead on updated -on board-and aircraft. If I had a brain-and I dont have--I would prefer Qantas-----------but I travel, Etihad-Emirates-Eva, think better chance of survival,in general.

• 4 months later...

The Springbok rugby team's flight to Australia was forced to return shortly after departing from Johannesburg on Friday night due to engine failure.

"The Qantas flight on which the team was travelling was forced to return to OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg less than two hours after take-off," the SA Rugby Union said in a statement.

Saru said the third engine on the Boeing 747 overheated, but it returned and landed safely in Johannesburg.