Pretty Green Snake, Id?

TrippRitter

I know this isn't much to work with but I figured I would see if anybody had any ideas. I was on my motorbike up by the little waterfall in Chang Kien village and this 3 foot long snake scurried across the road. It was BRIGHT green, really really thin, almost disproportionately thin for its length. Didn't have any noticeable head features like glands or any type of shape. Probably just a tree snake of sorts, figured I would ask. It was a really pretty snake.

The whip snake looks identical to the one I saw from the head down, same exact color really thin and long body. I didn't get a good enough look at it to confirm the features of its head, it was moving along pretty fast and I didn't have a good perspective of the head. I bet it was a whip snake.

The vine snake doesn't look skinny enough.

Probably this little fella the green vine snake.

This species of snake is mildly poisonous. They visit us quite often, beautiful creatures.

Better make sure you don't eat too many then if they're poisonous!

David

Petty, but funny nonetheless. :lol:

This species of snake is mildly poisonous. They visit us quite often, beautiful creatures.

David

Petty, but funny nonetheless. :lol:

Petty??? Moi???? :)

David

No problem, I alway make the girlfriend taste my food first.

Anything resembling Dendroaspis viridis "green mamba" around here?

I have seen some specie very close to the african one, short "fat" body, striking green, underbelly from green top to yellowish, white.

diamond shaped head and clearly distinct though a much thinner "neck" portion from the body....locals response was: "like cobra!"

I have seen some specie very close to the african one, short "fat" body, striking green, underbelly from green top to yellowish, white.

diamond shaped head and clearly distinct though a much thinner "neck" portion from the body....locals response was: "like cobra!"

sounds like Waglers Pit Viper

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/4038263357_33551c927c.jpg

or this

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2127/2203951776_6ca1d7434d.jpg

sounds like Waglers Pit Viper

http://farm4.static...._33551c927c.jpg

or this

http://farm3.static...._6ca1d7434d.jpg

Yes sounds like a Pit Viper - Pit Vipers are very common here - had one hanging over my head on a tree at Huay Kheo Waterfall some time ago - bright green like the leaves of the tree did not even notice it until a Thai pointed it out to me - nuff said I moved away in quite a hurry!

There are vipers that would match that description and are highly venomous so would be warned against by locals.

Used to get quite a lot of encounters with various snakes at my last home. One day my wife encountered a python large enough to be on both sides of the small road at once !! I had thought an animal of that size would need large prey items but it seems as cold blooded animals thats not the case.

Given where we're located in all likelihood it was a green vine snake, however fast it was moving. If it was a whip snake (I assume there's a difference but didn't read that closely), emphasis is on the "docile". Obviously if you have kids around you don't want it as a pet. Had one in a tree in the front and freaked myself until the gardener said the Thai equivalent of, "Oh yeah," and kept mowing. I realize I won't change any minds and have chopped a few North American copperheads in my time, but I do think the vine snake is pretty to look at as long as it's not attached to one of my personal limbs.