Laos visa for thai citizen

Whoops, it was the Provincial Office Building , the enormous one just on the W side of town. Definitely not the bridge office.

How long queueing, waiting was that? A quick stamp or several hours waiting?

There were a lot of Thais, around 60 odd getting day passes. There is a form to fill in, but for the 6 Thai in our group it took around 30 minutes.

Me, I got a visa previously from the Laos Consul in Khon Kaen, took around 30 minutes ,no problems. Then found I could have got one at the bridge.

Can't comment on the other borders.

• 3 months later...
When I make a Vientiane visa run with my Thai girl friend, we take a tuk tuk from the bus station to a travel agency near the immigration checkpoint where she gets her border pass using her ID card. I get my Laos visa on arrival at Laos immigration on the other side of the river. Very easy and no problems.

What  about the other 3 borders Cambodia,Malaysia and Burma..any idea?

I was up at Three Pagoda Pass with a Thai friend in April. They can definately cross into Burma there with only their ID.

And Mair Sot to Burma too. I think it costs the Thais 20 baht for the day pass and they can get them just by the immigration check point. Its up a soi on the right as you head towards the bridge to cross.

When I crossed into Laos from Nongkai in 1999, Thais with an id card issued no matter where in Thailand could go to Laos for maximally 3 days, after having obtained the border pass at the Provincial Administrative Office in Nongkai. I was told the 3 days permit could easily be extended once in Vientiane.

At the time Europeans and so on could get a Laotian 14 days visa at the border.