Do They Sell Percolators (Coffeemakers) In Cm ?

bangkokcitylimits

Hillkoff Coffee sells them but I vaguely remember the price to be way above 500baht. Can't be sure. Rimping also.

http://maps.google.c...=18.810037,99.0

Thanks.

Where is Hillkoff Coffee ?

Hillkoff has the best prices I've seen. the smallest one may not be much over 500 baht.

66 Chang Puak Rd, tel 053.213.078

Go north on Chang Puak Rd from Chang Puak Gate. Go to the first big intersection on the right. Hillkoff is about 30 meters down the right of that first big street. if you are driving, note that the street is one way the wrong way. Make a left instead. Park there and walk.

Hillkoff Coffee sells them but I vaguely remember the price to be way above 500baht. Can't be sure. Rimping also.

Thanks.

Hillkoff has the best prices I've seen. the smallest one may not be much over 500 baht.

66 Chang Puak Rd, tel 053.213.078

Go north on Chang Puak Rd from Chang Puak Gate. Go to the first big intersection on the right. Hillkoff is about 30 meters down the right of that first big street. if you are driving, note that the street is one way the wrong way. Make a left instead. Park there and walk.

Interesting, thanks.

Will go have a look there tomorrow. In my country the normal ones are not over 300-400b, so I wonder what they cost here.

Thanks.

I thought you might ask ; that's why I included in my first reply Greenside's Map. If you play around with it, you will find Hillkoff Coffee pinpointed. Scroll down the list of names at the left side-about 20 down- and click on Hillkoff Coffee.

They are in Rimping meechock too.. Good idea to grab a spare gasket when you get one too.

Tho the pedant in me would point out thats a macchinetta or moka pot not a percolator. A Perc cycles the water, a macchinetta uses the boiling action to pass pressurized water through the grounds once like an espresso machine.

/Pedant mode ;) Sorry..

I bought one in the bakery/cookery supplier Yok, I'm sure it was about 300-400 THB.

It's on the super highway, between the train station and the bus station.

If you are heading from the train station towards the bus station, it's on the left-hand side.

Winnie, apart from being more aesthetically pleasing, what benefits do you think the pricier stainless pots bring?

A good aluminium pot is also okay, I was saying don't get the ultra cheap ones. The rubber gasket thingies inside them are weird and smelly, a smell that doesn't go away. But a Bialetti aluminium one is likely fine. Another benefit of stainless steel is that it works on an induction stove plate.

WTK

I bought one in the bakery/cookery supplier Yok, I'm sure it was about 300-400 THB.

If you are heading from the train station towards the bus station, it's on the left-hand side.

Winnie, apart from being more aesthetically pleasing, what benefits do you think the pricier stainless pots bring?

Saw a basic coffe maker (not perculator) today at Hang Dong BigC - it was just over 1600 B - only seemd to be one though. I was looking for one as my water heater/kettle thingamie's pump has given up the ghost - as I only used it for cofffee, thought I'd get a cheap coffee maker instead - no such luck, so another cheap water heater/kettle thingamie came home instead (last one lasted a year, and it cost me 300 Baht - I bought a 600 Baht one this time, so hopefully it will last 2 years :D)

Saw a basic coffe maker (not perculator) today at Hang Dong BigC - it was just over 1600 B - only seemd to be one though. I was looking for one as my water heater/kettle thingamie's pump has given up the ghost - as I only used it for cofffee, thought I'd get a cheap coffee maker instead - no such luck, so another cheap water heater/kettle thingamie came home instead (last one lasted a year, and it cost me 300 Baht - I bought a 600 Baht one this time, so hopefully it will last 2 years :D)

All this erudite fuss about percolators,macchinettas (heavens above!), moka pots and rubber thingies ; why not just spoon the coffee into the pan of hot water, bring to the boil,allow to rise three times then pour though a fine sieve into the jug. No fiddling about ; just basic beverage cuisine.

All this erudite fuss about percolators,macchinettas (heavens above!), moka pots and rubber thingies ; why not just spoon the coffee into the pan of hot water, bring to the boil,allow to rise three times then pour though a fine sieve into the jug. No fiddling about ; just basic beverage cuisine.

Perhaps you can organize a masterclass for Thaivisa members ?

Because pressurized steam and water extracts caffeine, the oils, and the coffee flavor in a superior way for my tastes. Nice layer of creama on the top when you go by the above method ??

The moka pot makes a decent cup, superior to a french press or drip systems IMO but I do like coffee made that way, everyone has a preference if they are coffee fans. If you like the boil and strain style then good for you.

The expensive (3000 THB) ones in Rimping have a rubber seal in them too. I think that might be the Bialetti brand. I've never noticed any rubbery taste or smell from mine. The coffee tastes fine to me!

A good aluminium pot is also okay, I was saying don't get the ultra cheap ones. The rubber gasket thingies inside them are weird and smelly, a smell that doesn't go away. But a Bialetti aluminium one is likely fine. Another benefit of stainless steel is that it works on an induction stove plate.

WTK

The expensive (3000 THB) ones in Rimping have a rubber seal in them too. I think that might be the Bialetti brand. I've never noticed any rubbery taste or smell from mine. The coffee tastes fine to me!

WTK

3.000b ? No thanks ! Rimping... emoa.gif

For 6,500baht you can buy a very good DeLonghi espresso machine.

Yeah, Rimping pricing is nuts. But as stated above, Hillkoff have good quality moka pots that are much cheaper.

Where can you buy that DeLonghi machine (in Thailand) ?

In Doi Saket there's a shop where they sell them, know few other people who got one there.

They are opposite the Bangkok bank, it's the small shop at the corner under the big tree. Ask the lady there.

Verasu have the buono 15 bar machine for 3800.. Down from 7k.

Its as simple an espresso maker as you can get but it works.. I am using it currently sa my bean to cup blew the boiler and I have a delonghi coming over from the uk next month.

Edited by LivinLOS

I was in YOK today and upstairs they have 3 sizes on display from 200TB

438/2 Chaingmai-Lampang RdNhongpakrung District Mueang

PH 053 248248

Plus they have another outlet in Sriphoom

Ph 053225546

Good luck

I was in YOK today and upstairs they have 3 sizes on display from 200TB

438/2 Chaingmai-Lampang RdNhongpakrung District Mueang

PH 053 248248

Plus they have another outlet in Sriphoom

Ph 053225546

Good luck

Interesting, thanks !

WTK

3.000b ? No thanks ! Rimping... emoa.gif

For 6,500baht you can buy a very good DeLonghi espresso machine.

Seem to everyone loves to overstate rimpings prices..

They had bialetti one cup ones for <1500 and a 10z and 16oz large size ones of a different brand, the 16oz was IIRC 1600 and was a high quality looking import item.

Many of the machines mentioned do an adequate job for home use. But what about the grinder?

I am curious as to what grinders people use and how they view the importance of it compared to the machine...

Anyone who claims to know anything about coffee (so not me) says that the grinder is even more important than the espresso machine (or other coffee maker), to the point of spending more money on the grinder than on the coffee maker.

I got this one, just bought it abroad. Nothing related to coffee is cheap in Thailand.

Nemox-Caffe-Lux-Electric-Coffee-Bean-Grinder.jpg

These cost about 180-200 US$. One of the cheapest conical burr grinders out there. Works very well so far. Blade grinders are absolutely awful in comparison.

Many of the machines mentioned do an adequate job for home use. But what about the grinder?

I am curious as to what grinders people use and how they view the importance of it compared to the machine...

Anyone who claims to know anything about coffee (so not me) says that the grinder is even more important than the espresso machine (or other coffee maker), to the point of spending more money on the grinder than on the coffee maker.

I got this one, just bought it abroad. Nothing related to coffee is cheap in Thailand.

Nemox-Caffe-Lux-Electric-Coffee-Bean-Grinder.jpg

These cost about 180-200 US$. One of the cheapest conical burr grinders out there. Works very well so far. Blade grinders are absolutely awful in comparison.

I'm keen (well, desperate) to get one of these. Hillkoff has a nice new, counter friendly model for 2900 and a rather retro looking job for 4000 if you opt for a warranty - I'm saving up.