Scb Debit Card Does Not Work For Online Transactions

I have an SCB debit card. I wanted to use it to pay a tax back in the USA. To pay the tax, you do so online via a website. But I was not able to do so.

Is this some problem with Thai banks? The SCB manager told me, "yes, you can use it to make online transactions." But, no, you can't!

Is there any possible way for me to get a debit card from a Thai bank that I can use "internationally?"

Thanks.

Per this SCB link says it should work, buy hey, doing a lot of things in Thailand ain't as easy or work as advertised.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/pnb/pnb_dps_bc_debit.shtml

Anyway, I have a Bangkok Bank account with Be1st Debit/ATM card and I paid for things online with it...even have it linked to my US PayPal account. Seen many other TV posts where members have used the Be1st debit/ATM card to buy things online, pay bills, withdraw money, etc. Also seen a few posts who had no luck in getting it to work online...personnally, I thing those folks just had an old card which didn't include the CVV code, using a small payment network the card didn't work on, there was some specific limitation on their account, etc. Good luck.

Per this SCB link says it should work, buy hey, doing a lot of things in Thailand ain't as easy or work as advertised.

http://www.scb.co.th..._bc_debit.shtml

Anyway, I have a Bangkok Bank account with Be1st Debit/ATM card and I paid for things online with it...even have it linked to my US PayPal account. Seen many other TV posts where members have used the Be1st debit/ATM card to buy things online, pay bills, withdraw money, etc. Also seen a few posts who had no luck in getting it to work online...personnally, I thing those folks just had an old card which didn't include the CVV code, using a small payment network the card didn't work on, there was some specific limitation on their account, etc. Good luck.

Thanks Pib and LiteBeer! I also have an account at Bangkok Bank.........so I am going to check on their card. Thanks again.

Check for 3 digit number on the back of the card - for a while it seemed that some of the cards they issued didn't carry that value. Also, depending on the website you may need to do the Visa 3D secure enrollment which gives an additional password when transacting online (enrolment is via the voice response system at the call center 1333). Finally, some cards/cardholders set their spending limits at zero - this can also be re-set at the call center.

Some cards have written on them "For electronic use only" so they cannot be used online.

That means they "can" be used online, in Point of Sale (POS) cashier checkout devices, and ATMs which are all electronic actions, but "cannot" be used in those old style card impression machines that put an impression of the card on the old style receipt you sign. For electronic use only cards they do not have the raised letters and numbers, therefore, the card information cannot be impressed on the receipt you sign...plus many of these debit/ATM cards for electronic use only don't have the person's name on it. My Bangkok Bank Be1st debit/ATM says for electronic use only and does not have my name on it, but it sure works fine to make online purchases, POS purchases, ATM withdrawals, PayPal source of payment, etc....all of which are electronic actions.

Some cards have written on them "For electronic use only" so they cannot be used online.

That means they "can" be used online, in Point of Sale (POS) cashier checkout devices, and ATMs which are all electronic actions, but "cannot" be used in those old style card impression machines that put an impression of the card on the old style receipt you sign. For electronic use only cards they do not have the raised letters and numbers, therefore, the card information cannot be impressed on the receipt you sign...plus many of these debit/ATM cards for electronic use only don't have the person's name on it. My Bangkok Bank Be1st debit/ATM says for electronic use only and does not have my name on it, but it sure works fine to make online purchases, POS purchases, ATM withdrawals, PayPal source of payment, etc....all of which are electronic actions.

Update.......as stated, the Bangkok Bank Visa debit worked. The SCB Mastercard debit did not work.

This was an online transaction.

I really, really appreciate the advice here. You saved me time and money.

I assumed that because the SCB card did not work, no other card would.......wrong: Bangkok Bank Visa works for online transactions.

My old Kasikorn card wouldn't work online but now maybe I'll try with my TMB card and save on exchange rate and CC transfers.

My old Kasikorn card wouldn't work online but now maybe I'll try with my TMB card and save on exchange rate and CC transfers.

Be sure to check out what fees "may apply if doing a foreign" buy/payment/withdrawal, whether online or in-person. Most banks/credit/debit/ATM cards charge a foreign transaction type fee for foreign buys/payments/withdrawals. For example, check out this Bangkok Bank webpage for their Be1st debit/ATM card when it talks a fee of up to 2.5% will be applied to foreign transactions...and I don't know if that includes the 1% fee Visa applies since the Be1st card uses the Visa logo. I only used my Be1st card one time for an online foreign payment and that was doing a US Ebay buy with the Be1st card being the source of payment via PayPal. I did the buy about a year ago just to confirm the Be1st and Paypal link worked and it did...and I remember I ended up paying approx 3% more due to the associated foreign transaction fees. All my other uses of my Be 1st card are paying for things at checkout in Thai stores and withdrawing money from ATM...no charges for these uses.

Take a look at this Bangkok Bank webpage on its Be1st debit/ATM card...it talks about a fee up to 2.5% for foreign tranactions...don't know if that includes the 1% Visa slice/fee or not (some banks each the 1% fee that Visa and Mastercard charge for foreign transactions). But for in-Thailand buys there is no fee. http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Be1st%20and%20ATM%20Cards/Be1st%20Card/Pages/default.aspx I expect the TMB cards have foreign transaction fees also....all banks just love their fees....and the fees are different from bank to bank.

Yea, as mentioned, most credit/debit cards regardless of the issuing bank, just love to charge foreign transaction fees. Now if you are buying your plane ticket from a Thai travel company or airline in Thailand using your TMB debit/ATM card that should be a domestic transaction and you wouldn't get charged a foreign transaction fee. No different than if you were using your home country credit/debit card for a buy in your home country. Now if you are booking your hotels in the home country, there will be a foreign transaction fee since you are paying with a foreign card (the TMB card)...but if you are booking the hotel through a local Thai travel company, paying them with the TMB card, and the company is suppose to pay the hotel, then there shouldn't be a foreign transaction fee. It's all going to depend on where the company is located that you accomplish the purchase/charge with...domestic/in-Thailand or outside Thailand. Good luck.

What makes your kasikorn card an 'old' one?!

I have what is a new kasikorn card, and am wondering if anyone knows if it can be used for online payments? I know i can just go to the bank, but often there's a language problem, and also sometimes they just give you the answer they think you want to hear.

It's got visa on it, it's called a k debit card, it's got three digits to the right of the signature strip, and it says i'm a privileged member whatever that means. When they're issued do they automatically let you shop online, or do you have to activate it specially?

I have what is a new kasikorn card, and am wondering if anyone knows if it can be used for online payments? I know i can just go to the bank, but often there's a language problem, and also sometimes they just give you the answer they think you want to hear.

It's got visa on it, it's called a k debit card, it's got three digits to the right of the signature strip, and it says i'm a privileged member whatever that means. When they're issued do they automatically let you shop online, or do you have to activate it specially?

Expect it would work just fine for online payments, especially since its got the CVV digits. Go to this K-Bank weblink (in English) for more info: http://www.kasikornb...s/KMyDebit.aspx

There still seems to be a misunderstanding by many expats in Thailand that the card they got from their Thai bank is an ATM only card. Well, it could be as there are cards like that, but if it says debit or check card on the card and has the Visa/Mastercard logo, the card can generally be used as an ATM to withdraw money or just like a credit card for online or at cashier checkout purchase (BUT, you must have enough money in your bank account to immediately cover the purchase or the purchase will reject at checkout...it's not like a credit card where you can pay when the monthly bill comes).

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

I closed my account 5 years ago and had it for 10 years prior to that (when they were Thai Farmers Bank).

Update.......as stated, the Bangkok Bank Visa debit worked. The SCB Mastercard debit did not work.

This was an online transaction.

I really, really appreciate the advice here. You saved me time and money.

I assumed that because the SCB card did not work, no other card would.......wrong: Bangkok Bank Visa works for online transactions.

May be worth bearing in mind that these cards have daily transaction limits (number of transactions and amounts) so maybe, just a maybe your SCB card has alower limit than your BBL card. Worth checking in any event, these limits can normally be changed by calling the telephone bankingcentre of the bank (with BBL its an automated service).