Updating Windows Xp

briley

Those with the Pantip version of Windows XP might like to look at

http://www.autopatcher.com/

It seems to solve the problems that MS have lately thrown up over updating - provided you have ADSL as the lite version is nearly 80Meg.

As I'm only on Dial up can someone take a look and let us all know if it is an alternative to MS update?

This site:-

Windizupdate

allows users of Firefox, Opera, Firebird and K-Meleon to automatically update their Windows installation.

As a bonus, it bypasses the IE based authenticity check (and it's not an 80MB download). :o

NOTE: It does NOT work with Internet Explorer.

Edited by Crossy

hi'

I downloaded the full autopatcher ... a few minutes, but : and a big BUT

1022 files and 201 corrupted, 186 archives and 87 packed programs, including 3 mbr(master boot record)

suspicious and untrusted!

the other address is valid and works perfect with firefox :o

thanks crossy :D

francois

Thanks Crossy - windizupdate is better and finally gives a reason for FireFox. I happen to have a few niggles about firefox that has left me using IE.

But, downloaded my updates - and firefox collapsed! Still all the files are in C:\WUtemp so no problems installing them on both machines without having to bother downloading again.

Much better than the sound of downloader

Windizupdate told me that installation was coplete and restarted my computer, but there were still error messages. There's no easy way to find out if the installation is really complete, short of running the diagnosis again.

In the meantime I'm downloading full version (155Mb) from Autopatcher, see what happens next.

hi'

as cndvic said, for a few upfates you still need windozs genuine stuff and certif, if not you won't be able to install.

francois

ps: tip ... buy a true windows version with a mouse(harware needed for a com to work) and ask the shop to sell it as an oem, they can do it and they have a few oem licences in stock along with the cd's for install new com :D

this shouldn't exceed a few thousand baths :o

or use linux :D