What Language Is Thaivisa.Com Written In?

james24

Yeah most forum software is written in PHP and stuff like Wordpress etc. It easy to get started with, easy to find web hosting, easy to get help, but its crap way to learn to program (and a poor language - by the language designer's own omission before anyone flames me).

Yeah most forum software is written in PHP and stuff like Wordpress etc. It easy to get started with, easy to find web hosting, easy to get help, but its crap way to learn to program (and a poor language - by the language designer's own omission before anyone flames me).

so what is an alternative to php that is worth learning....?

Is it asp.net or php ini I think its called.

Python is very nice. Google uses it a lot internally (as well as many other languages) and there a plenty of resources that will be show you algorithm design using Python too (rather than pluck this out of mysql database php examples). Python has its issues too (all languages do - but this will be more beneficial than working you way the global namespace mess in php)

http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/index.html

You could also look at Ruby/ROR - a lot of companies are using this stack as it removes a lot of friction.

Before I get flamed (pre-empt), admitteldy some big companies do use PHP in parts for various reasons on their frontend interfaces but you'll find most of their engineers already polyglots with years of experience, using PHP more as front-end aggregation or templator.

Once familiar with some core concepts try/experiment with some other languages, have a tool box and not just one tool. Until you radically change paradigms then switch a different language its mainly syntax.

Edited by devdrinker

Python is very nice. Google uses it a lot internally (as well as many other languages) and there a plenty of resources that will be show you algorithm design using Python too (rather than pluck this out of mysql database php examples). Python has its issues too (all languages do - but this will be more beneficial than working you way the global namespace mess in php)

http://code.google.c...lass/index.html

You could also look at Ruby/ROR - a lot of companies are using this stack as it removes a lot of friction.

Before I get flamed (pre-empt), admitteldy some big companies do use PHP in parts for various reasons on their frontend interfaces but you'll find most of their engineers already polyglots with years of experience, using PHP more as front-end aggregation or templator.

Once familiar with some core concepts try/experiment with some other languages, have a tool box and not just one tool. Until you radically change paradigms then switch a different language its mainly syntax.

Thanks man thats really helpful.

I have no idea how ror or python work but do they connect with mysql, are they languages that change the site to dynamic rather than static...?

Yes you can create dynamic sites with Python (usually with help of Django), Ruby/ROR and of course PHP. Yes all can connect to a mysql database to drive dynamic output.

Thanks man I think Ruby will be the next one as I have heard alot about it.

Once again cheers :-)

PHP is interpreted and is therefore vulnerable to anyone who accesses the server its on (its just a text document) - as are Phython, Perl, Javascript, Asp (not .Net) etc (although there are compiled forms of some of these- web code is inmterpreted - some binaries can be called on the server etc). Most hosting servers shared environments,

ASP.Net is compiled and only the compiled code (plus the javascript and HTML) is put on the server. Although there are tools to reverse engineer it. Asp.Net servers (IIS) tend to be more expensive and less abundant than Apache (CGI). Apache and IIS are not the only web server software either - but between the two they have most of it.

As to what to learn, with the approach of HTML 5/CSS3 and the predicted/pending replacement (at some point - so it is rumoured, and if Mr "nose out of joint" Jobs gets his way) of Flash and possible Silverlight (at least from WWW - if not Intranets) then the best to start with now would probably be XAML and C# - tools like expression blend, Visual Studio 10 web builder etc can be got as free downloads (not sure if expression blend is still avaiable in a free version - I got version 4 legit free direct from M$ website).

Javascript, HTML4 (and 5 later - but you need to understand 4 first I think), CSS, AJAX, JSON, IQuery, JQuery, XML, are all useful too - at least to have the basics.

//

Edit: all serverside scripts/compiled code can connect to MySQL via one adapter or another - as far as I am aware - certainly ROR/PHP/Python/Perl/ASP.Net all can. MySql is a free Database, and NOT a programming language (it is good, but has some annoying and ongoing omissions and issues).

If you want to stay away from M$ for some reason, then I would go for ROR is nice, easy and works pretty much out of the box (a lot of old demos on the web do not work though as they use old devices such as Scaffold that have been removed now).

Also all languages (server side) can make the site dynamic (or not - up to you) - including JavaScript!

//

Edited by wolf5370

If someone has access to your server then theft of your code base is not your biggest concern. Don't choose a language based on how it is deployed, compiled form or not.

Eh skip Silverlight and learn XAML? Are you confused about how XAML fit into the .Net ecosystem? XAML is just the markup language that is used in Silverlight and WPF. (<snip> pointless info). HTML5/CSS3 and rich Javascript (with abstraction libraries such as YUI and jQuery) are the way forward for client side logic on both frontend and intranet sites, and even arguable in the mobile space. Everything is debatable, just make sure you validated your reasons for choosing the various parts of your stack (your javascript framework, your service side framework, your deployment platform, your datbase), ask questions, join stackoverflow.com etc.. . To get started though, all this is irrelevant, and now off topic, experiment, have fun and dont tie yourself too close any one tool (or listen to any one person..).

Edited by devdrinker

Front page of Thaivisa.com uses "Joomla! - Copyright © 2005 - 2007 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved." Its an Open Source CMS (Content management System, that uses Numerous Modules, components and plugins) including .css style sheets and php files. If you want to verifiy this, go to the top of your browser and Select view, and Page Source. This will show you the structure or layout of ThaiVisa. Many community boards using Joomla or Durpla.

If you want to know more about Joomla then check out About Joolma link, it will give you an idea of what it is: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html