Obama calls for immediate and "orderly transition" in Egypt

News_Editor

Obama calls for immediate and "orderly transition" in Egypt

2011-02-02 08:00:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday spoke on the situation in Egypt, describing it as a "moment of transformation" in which he urged an immediate and "orderly transition."

Obama commended the Egyptian military for thus far allowing peaceful protests while protecting the Egyptian people, noting that military tanks have been covered with banners, while soldiers and protesters embrace in the streets. The President continued by urging the military to continue its efforts to help ensure that this time of change is peaceful.

The U.S. stands for "universal values," Obama said, referring to the freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, and the freedom to access information.

President Obama also restated that the U.S. has "spoken out on behalf of the need for change," adding that he spoke directly with President Mubarak after his speech, who recognized that the "status quo is not sustainable" and that a change must take place.

"Through thousands of years, Egypt has known many moments of transformation. The voices of the Egyptian people tell us that this is one of those moments; this is one of those times," the President stated.

However, Obama emphasized that only the Egyptian people can determine their leaders and called for an immediate transition.

"What is clear -- and what I indicated tonight to President Mubarak -- is my belief that an orderly transition must be meaningful, it must be peaceful, and it must begin now."

"The process must include a broad spectrum of Egyptian voices and opposition parties," Obama underlined. "It should lead to elections that are free and fair. And it should result in a government that’s not only grounded in democratic principles, but is also responsive to the aspirations of the Egyptian people."

Furthermore, President Obama said the U.S. would continue to extend its partnership and friendship to Egypt, as the nation stands ready to provide any assistance that is necessary to help the Egyptian people as they manage the aftermath of these protests.

"Over the last few days, the passion and the dignity that has been demonstrated by the people of Egypt has been an inspiration to people around the world, including here in the United States, and to all those who believe in the inevitability of human freedom," Obama said.

"We hear your voices," Obama said, regarding the young people of Egypt. "I have an unyielding belief that you will determine your own destiny and seize the promise of a better future for your children and your grandchildren."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-02

The Americans should be keeping their noses out of the matter.

Enough damage has been done in this world by American imperial policies. The balance of power is slowly changing and will change whether we in the western world like it or not.

I noted a post elsewhere ( in the U.K. Independent newspaper as recall) where the poster equated our ( the U.K) actions in my younger days vis a vis , " The Suez Crisis 1954 ish (Incidentally the Americans backed the Egyptians at that time ) and our subsequent demise as a world power.

His theory was that American policy was going to undermine American power much as it did in the U.K. at that time in the 1950s.

I am inclined to agree with that hypothesis regarding the eventual demise of America's policies.

Edited by siampolee

"The U.S. stands for "universal values," Obama said, referring to the freedom of assembly, freedom of speech,

and the freedom to access information".

:cheesy: :cheesy:

What a hypocrite. I guess now he is going to stop persuing Julian Assange.

"The U.S. stands for "universal values," Obama said, referring to the freedom of assembly, freedom of speech,

Please provide everyone here your user name and passwords to all of your private email accounts. Or get back in the long line of hypocfites.

Obama is just damaging the image of the US more and more in the eyes of the Arab peoples. They want Mubarak out now together with his VP while Obama supports them to oversee transition. Still the old facist Netanyahu will be happy.

The egyptian people should have the right to select their own government and the rest of the world including the hypocritacal west should learn to deal with it instead of continuing the policies of interference that have made many western countries the target of hate and anger. Change sghould be overseen by figures acceptable to the people and not a facisitic junta that has already murdered hundreds and represents nobody but their own and foreign intersts.

Yopu either believe in democracy and freedom or you dont. Not demanding Mubarak leaves office immediately and is held responsible for his crimes is to show no belief in democracy.

Please provide everyone here your user name and passwords to all of your private email accounts. Or get back in the long line of hypocfites.

Your'e having a laugh aren't you ?

If these two faced, hypocritical, back stabbing, lying politicians told the truth a little more often then they would not be so worried by leaks such as those by Wikileaks.

That said just who is Obama to be demanding anything from either the Egyptian Government or its people ?

All this talk of freedom etc from a man that is abolishing freedoms daily in the land of the free ? :blink:

The Egyptians should be allowed to elect a fanatical terrorist group if they wish to. :whistling:

Although Mr. mubarak will not stand for elections in September, protesters insist on him stepping down Friday at the latest. Rumour has it on Friday we may have a phone-in from k. Thaksin to offer moral support ;)

i can see that i am not the only one to think that this is a low point in Obamas presidency

the US has supported Egypt and Mubarak for years

he is now the loudest turncoat in Mubarak's hour of need

he should be ashamed

if i was one of Egypt's new leaders i would be looking to renegotiate our financial arrangements with the USA based on their recent ''loyal support''