Rom Mon Or An Average?

Hog Head

Hi

Usually LPG octane rating is shown as MON and should be at least 92, giving a RON of 100 and therefore an AKI of 96........

AKI=(RON+MON)/2......

Sorry don't know what a ROM or an AFI is.

Sanuk

PS Assuming LPG ie "rot gas" is the same as "pump gas" and not CNG. If CNG you can google it yourself! :)

Edited by sanuk21

I refuse to run LPG in my S6.

Oh how I wish it was possible to get RON98 here...

What would it take to convince BangChak to sell this? :whistling:

Did I understand correctly that octane boosters are illegal?

If so, why?

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

98 RON has never been available in TH, and given the fairly rapid decline on Benzene 95 (and Benzene 91 for that matter) I'd have to say that there's extremely little likelihood of ever seeing 98 here.

Still, if you want to lobby I'd suggest petitioning Shell or Caltex over Lemon Green (Bangchak), as these are brands trying to position themselves as having a higher quality product, and in the case of Shell, the only brand to offer a premium diesel product.

Nothing illegal about octane boosters here, just difficult to find. www.autobacs.co.th has a small range in stock.

98 RON has never been available in TH, and given the fairly rapid decline on Benzene 95 (and Benzene 91 for that matter) I'd have to say that there's extremely little likelihood of ever seeing 98 here.

Still, if you want to lobby I'd suggest petitioning Shell or Caltex over Lemon Green (Bangchak), as these are brands trying to position themselves as having a higher quality product, and in the case of Shell, the only brand to offer a premium diesel product.

Nothing illegal about octane boosters here, just difficult to find. www.autobacs.co.th has a small range in stock.

Yeah, its a pity Shell stopped selling the V-Power Benzene95. I was under the mistaken impression it was similar to European 98.

I thought Bangchak owns all refineries in Thailand and that all the other petrol stations buy from them.

Is there any hi-octane fuel supply to the motor sports community? Are there any "small" refineries in Thailand?

One "crazy farang" petitioning an oil giant for some hi-octane... :lol:

I'd be willing to pay B50 a liter and buy 200liters a month.

Any link to the specific octane booster product? I cannot find it on the site.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Yeah, its a pity Shell stopped selling the V-Power Benzene95. I was under the mistaken impression it was similar to European 98.

I thought Bangchak owns all refineries in Thailand and that all the other petrol stations buy from them.

Is there any hi-octane fuel supply to the motor sports community? Are there any "small" refineries in Thailand?

One "crazy farang" petitioning an oil giant for some hi-octane... :lol:

I'd be willing to pay B50 a liter and buy 200liters a month.

Any link to the specific octane booster product? I cannot find it on the site.

Might look into buying a 55gal drum of high octane aircraft fuel then at the local airport, don't know what if any special requirements or permission you'd need to purchase if at all possible there but it might be worth a look.. And then tell me :)

By "pump gas" I meant gasoline or petrol served up at the local pump

AKI (Anti Knock Index) was a typo

In any case the answer to my question is Thai petrol is RON rated

Thanks

One of my buddies races buggies and I see 45 gal drums of 100 Octane Av gas in his shop

How is Av gas rated as one would think it must be a worldwide standard?

Shell's proprietary additives (e.g. GTL's) come from Malaysia. But yes, most refining happens in TH because almost all fuel contains local bio product.

As for Autobacs, dont' count on their website having even 50% of what they actually stock - you'll def. find your octane booster in-store.

Might look into buying a 55gal drum of high octane aircraft fuel then at the local airport, don't know what if any special requirements or permission you'd need to purchase if at all possible there but it might be worth a look.. And then tell me :)

One of my buddies races buggies and I see 45 gal drums of 100 Octane Av gas in his shop

How is Av gas rated as one would think it must be a worldwide standard?

Avgas is normally MON rated (100 MON is ~110 RON), but a lot of it is still leaded so not suitable for cars with catalytic converters. You could of course rip all that emmissions kit out, but that would make the car illegal/unroadworthy. There are some unleaded forms of avgas, but apparently most planes that need unleaded get around on normal benzene gasoline instead.

>>I'd be willing to pay B50 a liter and buy 200liters a month.

A friend of mine imports very high octane race gas ( IIRC over 110 ) and it's a bit more than 50 baht/litre :). Here in Phuket I heard you can buy high octane petrol out at the airport. There's an old thread in the Phuket forum about it if you wanted to do a search.

Octane boosters, several brand names, available at True Value, in Phuket located in Home Works center opposit Central.

Cal Tex Techron Gold is 95 Benzine - like the old Shell V Power. The Techron Gold is selling today at close to 45 baht a liter. Not all CalTex stock this product. Look at the signboard facing the exit.

Thanks, I know.

Hi-octane available at airports ey? Hmmm. Would I have to buy a drum/barrel or is there a bowser?

If I can bring a jerry can or 2, that would be fantastic.

ULG RON110 would be great for mixing up a batch of 98. Straight 110 is way too high for the S6.

Not sure if the wife would appreciate a petrol mixing operation at the house. :whistling:

Warp, I will look into this and let you know.

Bringing hi-octane from Phuket to BKK is out, but 50 baht a liter is a good price.

So, just for fun, if I have Benzene95 and 110, what is the mix ratio to make 98?

Is it just 20% 110 and 80% 95?

So to fill a tank, say 60 liters, that comes to 12ltrs of RON110 and 48ltrs RON95.

Assuming B50p/l for the 110 and B45p/l for the 95, that is 46 baht a liter.

Hey, I could sell this to gear heads...on the down low of course... B)

A foreigner with a backyard gas station. :lol:

PTT will send assassins for sure :ph34r:

Cal Tex Techron Gold is 95 Benzine - like the old Shell V Power. The Techron Gold is selling today at close to 45 baht a liter. Not all CalTex stock this product. Look at the signboard facing the exit.

Thanks, I know.

Hi-octane available at airports ey? Hmmm. Would I have to buy a drum/barrel or is there a bowser?

ULG RON110 would be great for mixing up a batch of 98. Straight 110 is way too high for the S6.

Not sure if the wife would appreciate a petrol mixing operation at the house. :whistling:

Bringing hi-octane from Phuket to BKK is out, but 50 baht a liter is a good price.

So, just for fun, if I have Benzene95 and 110, what is the mix ratio to make 98?

So to fill a tank, say 60 liters, that comes to 12ltrs of RON110 and 48ltrs RON95.

Hi-octane thing of the past at airports :D, Spitfires are not go now. BUT l used to buy 115 octane in drums in UK. :)

A friend of mine imports very high octane race gas ( IIRC over 110 ) and it's a bit more than 50 baht/litre :). Here in Phuket I heard you can buy high octane petrol out at the airport. There's an old thread in the Phuket forum about it if you wanted to do a search.

You mean this thread?:

Not sure if they still do this, but it says RON100 leaded in 44gal barrels at B65p/l.

I would prefer to find ULG RON 110 at B50.

Whatever, its a pipedream... :rolleyes:

Thanks, I know.

Hi-octane thing of the past at airports :D, Spitfires are not go now. BUT l used to buy 115 octane in drums in UK. :)

Don't quite understand your code talk, is that Navajo :blink::huh: ? But assuming it argues that high octane is no longer at airports all small engined airplanes such as Cessna's for example still use high octane pump gas.

JFYI the Thai Airforce still uses Vietnam era single engined trainers.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thanks, I know.

Don't quite understand your code talk, is that Navajo :blink::huh: ? But assuming it argues that high octane is no longer at airports all small engined airplanes such as Cessna's for example still use high octane pump gas.

JFYI the Thai Airforce still uses Vietnam era single engined trainers.

Yes you are right, :), my mind was at Swampy. :D

With all honesty l forgot about all the wee prop jobs floating around up there. Oooooops, and big ones.

Edited by transam

• 1 month later...

Ok, found out that the hi octane stuff sold at Thai airports is 100LL. Not sure if that is RON or MON.

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkavgas.html

Leaded anyway. Not that I have cats anymore, but hey others do.

Steele, I would guess your friend imports C16. That is very expensive stuff. Could you PM me his email or phone number?