New Pcx Price - Chiang Mai

Darkman

I'm looking to buy a new Honda PCX next month. I had heard prices were around 69,000 Baht which seemed reasonable. On Saturday I popped into the Honda dealer near Central and they quoted me 77,800 Baht. I told them I am willing to pay cash for a lower price. They didn't flinch, 77,800 or forget it.

Any thoughts out there. It seems like a big difference in price between 69 and 77.8 ??? Is this inflation??

I looked at the Honda PCX bikes in Loei and the best price I found there 75,000 baht. I did ride one that belongs to a friend of mine and I liked the way it drives and handles.

I decided not to buy one because I don't like the dual braking system and the start and stop feature at intersections is a total waste for me. I was also disappointed that there is no where to hook the handy bungee cords. I didn't like that bump on the seat either.

I bought a Yamaha Elegance and am quite happy with it. It has a handle on the back of the seat and several places near the back foot rests to hook bungee cords. It also has a hook under the handle bars. The only thing better about the PCX is the bigger fuel tank. The Elegance is also a bit faster than the PCX. I also saved 19,000 baht. The box under the seat between the two are about the same size. I'd rather have a smaller box and a bigger fuel tank on the Elegance.

I looked at the Honda PCX bikes in Loei and the best price I found there 75,000 baht. I did ride one that belongs to a friend of mine and I liked the way it drives and handles.

I decided not to buy one because I don't like the dual braking system and the start and stop feature at intersections is a total waste for me. I was also disappointed that there is no where to hook the handy bungee cords. I didn't like that bump on the seat either.

I bought a Yamaha Elegance and am quite happy with it. It has a handle on the back of the seat and several places near the back foot rests to hook bungee cords. It also has a hook under the handle bars. The only thing better about the PCX is the bigger fuel tank. The Elegance is also a bit faster than the PCX. I also saved 19,000 baht. The box under the seat between the two are about the same size. I'd rather have a smaller box and a bigger fuel tank on the Elegance.

Thks for that Gary. I have a black Yamaha Mio which I've had for 4 years and its never given me any problems and still goes really well. I'd heard so much about the PCX I thought I'd give one ago, but the price is really putting me off. I've seen a Yamaha Mio 125 which looks beefier than my 110 but the new PCX cherry red is a nice looking bike. But I hear what you say and at this point unless I can get the price down I too will be looking at Yamaha again.

I've looked to TV forums for lots of info, but this is first post so hope it helps.

I have also been looking for a bike and was looking at the PCX and Nouvo Elegance. Had stopped by the same dealer a few weeks back and was quoted the same price as you. Two weeks ago went to the Honda dealer on Kaew Nawarat across from Prince Royal College and quoted a price of 75500 which included registration, jacket and helmet included, but not sure about insurance. The lady that I talked to spoke some English, and said that she was expecting a red one soon. I decided to go back the next Monday with our Thai neighbor who speaks a little more English than the sales lady, to make sure I understood, and thought that I might go ahead and put a deposit on it. She quoted the same price to my neighbor, but wasn't sure if/when the bike might arrive, and the way my neighbor explained I could not put a deposit on it to reserve it, but I could come back and order one this month. I forgot to ask about the insurance at that point.

Left there and went to the Honda shop just up from Airport Plaza where my neighbor bought their bike. They quoted 77,900 and refused to budge on price saying that the bikes were in big demand. When the neighbor told the guy that we had just been quoted 75500 he was literally surprised and asked where, but still wouldn't come down.

Though I was ready to pay the 75500, I'm not really in a hurry, and since would have to wait if I ordered, I might wait to see if Kymco breaks into the Thai market. Kymco seems to have some nice scooters with good reviews, but other than seeing that they are looking for partners for their 2 wheel products don't know if/when they will be available in Thailand. Also looked at SYM, and though they are in Thailand, can't seem to find any info of anyone riding one. Saw the Radar 125 at the Kawasaki dealer but wasn't really impressed. Tried to ask about other models but best I could understand was "only one". Have to admit that I am also battling the thought that I might want something a little bigger like in the 250cc range.

And for what it's worth as it may have been salesman talk, but was told by a Yamaha salesman that the PCX is fetching a premium price in neighboring countries resulting in less inventory here. I'm sure that there are much more knowledgeable posters here that can shed light as to fact or fiction to that claim.

I entirely agree with you that the only weakness of the Yamaha 135 c.c. Elegance is the fact that fuel storage is limited to 4.8 liters versus 6.2 for the Honda PCX. Fuel injection might be nice but if I were to change just one thing it would be to have additional gasoline storage. And like you I'd even be willing to give up a little under the seat storage space for a larger fuel tank. Now if Yamaha could only do a slight redesign to give us a larger fuel tank. I'd be in hog heaven with a 7 liter tank in my Elegance. I don't mind the carburetor. And I really find the hook in front of me to be very convenient for carrying two or three grocery bags. The rail behind the seat along with several anchoring points in the vicinity of the passenger footpegs are terrific for bungee cords which I use to strap all kinds of things behind me.....eg....a desktop computer going in for repair. Just try that with the PCX. And 135's is better than 125 cc's. And although the PCX is not bad when it comes to maneuverability and parking ease the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance is going to be better. When a PCX is going for 75,000 baht I'd take the Yamaha any day as a far better machine (for the money) and laugh all the way to the bank.

Edited by jackcorbett

To tell the truth, I really enjoy a transmission and hand clutch. I still hunt for foot pegs when starting off and look for the shift lever when slowing down. After a lifetime of manual transmissions and hand clutches, I'm having a difficult time getting used to the twist and go. I'm getting more used to it and in time, I'll adapt.

Why a scooter for me? I see a lot of Thais with legs and feet missing. I had a farang friend die from a crushed leg when he got T boned by a baht bus. I'm 65 years old and my reflexes are not what they once were. I have no desire to have my foot/leg trapped between the bike frame and whatever hits me. The last time I laid down a motorcycle, my leg was caught under the bike and I got a pretty bad burn on my foot from the exhaust pipe.

I tried to give up riding but that is VERY difficult. At least with a scooter, my feet are in front of me and the newer scooters have surprising power. I don't understand how they get that much power from these tiny engines. I'll ride as long as I can and try to keep as safe as I can. Maybe I look silly with my helmet and leather jacket riding a scooter but I don't care. I don't heal up near as fast as I used to.

To tell the truth, I really enjoy a transmission and hand clutch. I still hunt for foot pegs when starting off and look for the shift lever when slowing down. After a lifetime of manual transmissions and hand clutches, I'm having a difficult time getting used to the twist and go. I'm getting more used to it and in time, I'll adapt.

Why a scooter for me? I see a lot of Thais with legs and feet missing. I had a farang friend die from a crushed leg when he got T boned by a baht bus. I'm 65 years old and my reflexes are not what they once were. I have no desire to have my foot/leg trapped between the bike frame and whatever hits me. The last time I laid down a motorcycle, my leg was caught under the bike and I got a pretty bad burn on my foot from the exhaust pipe.

I tried to give up riding but that is VERY difficult. At least with a scooter, my feet are in front of me and the newer scooters have surprising power. I don't understand how they get that much power from these tiny engines. I'll ride as long as I can and try to keep as safe as I can. Maybe I look silly with my helmet and leather jacket riding a scooter but I don't care. I don't heal up near as fast as I used to.

The "list" price for a new PCX in Pattaya is B72,000, but fairly easy negotiation can get the price down to B69,000 (as of 2 weeks ago). The final line I suspect, if you really press, is B68,500. That includes all colors, including the popular candy apple red. I have one (not red, unfortunately), and it is an absolutely superb little bike. If you're a "bag man" with no other transportation, it may not be for you (gotta have those hooks ya know....). But for anyone that appreciates a smooth, agile and classy ride, it is as good as you can get.

I can sell you mine for 55k, I will even lower the price if you get down here to pick it up...

Yep, my PCX is for sale... Have not been used since I bought the CBR...

If you want a new PCX- My dealer said 77k as well, and we are down here in NST!

The "list" price for a new PCX in Pattaya is B72,000, but fairly easy negotiation can get the price down to B69,000 (as of 2 weeks ago). The final line I suspect, if you really press, is B68,500. That includes all colors, including the popular candy apple red. I have one (not red, unfortunately), and it is an absolutely superb little bike. If you're a "bag man" with no other transportation, it may not be for you (gotta have those hooks ya know....). But for anyone that appreciates a smooth, agile and classy ride, it is as good as you can get.

I've made no secret of the fact that I really like the PCX, that it is a great looking bike, with its big tires and relatively heavy weight (for a scooter) it offers a great ride, good stability and a higher margin of safety, offers extremely good fuel economy, etc, but I think you've said it yourself......"if you're a "bag man" with no other transportation it may not be for you (gota have those hooks ya know)" You seem to imply here that a person might need to have a car and a bike because the PCX cannot compete with a bike that has all the books that can be used to transport large amounts of stuff. So on that note, I'd have to say that at 52,000 baht or so the Nouvo Elegance has to be the deal of the century as in many situations it can substitute for a car whereas its competition can't.

I've made no secret of the fact that I really like the PCX, that it is a great looking bike, with its big tires and relatively heavy weight (for a scooter) it offers a great ride, good stability and a higher margin of safety, offers extremely good fuel economy, etc, but I think you've said it yourself......"if you're a "bag man" with no other transportation it may not be for you (gota have those hooks ya know)" You seem to imply here that a person might need to have a car and a bike because the PCX cannot compete with a bike that has all the books that can be used to transport large amounts of stuff. So on that note, I'd have to say that at 52,000 baht or so the Nouvo Elegance has to be the deal of the century as in many situations it can substitute for a car whereas its competition can't.

On that theory, a motorbike with a Thai built sidecar "has to be the deal of the century" because it can substitute for a car (or truck even) in many more situations than a motorbike with hooks -- can you carry four people on your bike? -- I don't think so. Is that any reason to own one??? (God, I hope that your answer is "no"). Many people that want to carry a lot on their bikes have a Givi box put on the back -- B2,500 and you can carry a pretty good load. I have a box on the back of my Phantom, but I have chosen to leave the PCX "naked" for appearance sake. Horses for courses, I think. If I didn't have a car (which I do) and only had the PCX, I'd put a box on the back. Then, I could carry safely and securely (it locks) everything that can be carried on a hook or two, and more. It is hard to believe that anyone would base their decsion on which motorbike to buy (or think that it is the "deal of the century") on whether it has carry hooks, especially when other cheap better alternatives exist.

On that theory, a motorbike with a Thai built sidecar "has to be the deal of the century" because it can substitute for a car (or truck even) in many more situations than a motorbike with hooks -- can you carry four people on your bike? -- I don't think so. Is that any reason to own one??? (God, I hope that your answer is "no"). Many people that want to carry a lot on their bikes have a Givi box put on the back -- B2,500 and you can carry a pretty good load. I have a box on the back of my Phantom, but I have chosen to leave the PCX "naked" for appearance sake. Horses for courses, I think. If I didn't have a car (which I do) and only had the PCX, I'd put a box on the back. Then, I could carry safely and securely (it locks) everything that can be carried on a hook or two, and more. It is hard to believe that anyone would base their decsion on which motorbike to buy (or think that it is the "deal of the century") on whether it has carry hooks, especially when other cheap better alternatives exist.

I think you are getting way into left field by concluding that "my theory" would mean a bike with a sidecar has to be the deal of the century." The hooks and rail at the back of its seat are transparent on the Nouvo Elegance. They are built in features of the bike. For example the spots you can anchor bungee cords on the lower part of a Nouvo are near the passenger footpegs and cannot easily be seen unless you are looking for them. The guard rail behind the seat is unobtrusive and yet it provides an excellent upper anchor point. And the hook on the lower part of the fairing in front of the driver's knees is pretty unobtrusive as well. You can put up to four grocery bags across the hook. I've studied the PCX. You could have a hook installed there but the slope is wrong on the bodywork you'd be installing the hook to so the bags will tend to fall off the hook once you are in motion. On other bikes and certainly so with the Nouvo Elegance this bodywork is more perpendicular. Your comparing the installation of a sidecar to what I've been mentioning here is simply ridiculous as it is not transparent, and it adversely affects the performance of the bike in about every meaningful way. And as to your argument that one can install a box on the back, that's about like saying a motorcycle that is designed for racing is just as practical as a scooter because one can hang a box on its rear end. Face the facts.......the PCX is long on looks (although some here hate its looks I like its appearance), it's good for hauling people around who are rather large, and it's got a lot of other nice attributes but in terms of everyday practicality and value it comes way short of the Nouvo Elegance. Let's see....at 75,000 baht plus 10,000 baht for a box that's 85,000 baht which is double the price of a Nouvo Elegance and once you put the box on the back you are definitely not going to have a spot on which you can strap your desktop computer when you take it in for repair.

Edited by jackcorbett

Hi,

Which Honda dealer in Pattaya actually sells it to "listprice"?

Was at the big one on Threprasit but they were asking 77,000, no extras and besides not very interested in doing business...

Christian

I think you are getting way into left field by concluding that "my theory" would mean a bike with a sidecar has to be the deal of the century." The hooks and rail at the back of its seat are transparent on the Nouvo Elegance. They are built in features of the bike. For example the spots you can anchor bungee cords on the lower part of a Nouvo are near the passenger footpegs and cannot easily be seen unless you are looking for them. The guard rail behind the seat is unobtrusive and yet it provides an excellent upper anchor point. And the hook on the lower part of the fairing in front of the driver's knees is pretty unobtrusive as well. You can put up to four grocery bags across the hook. I've studied the PCX. You could have a hook installed there but the slope is wrong on the bodywork you'd be installing the hook to so the bags will tend to fall off the hook once you are in motion. On other bikes and certainly so with the Nouvo Elegance this bodywork is more perpendicular. Your comparing the installation of a sidecar to what I've been mentioning here is simply ridiculous as it is not transparent, and it adversely affects the performance of the bike in about every meaningful way. And as to your argument that one can install a box on the back, that's about like saying a motorcycle that is designed for racing is just as practical as a scooter because one can hang a box on its rear end. Face the facts.......the PCX is long on looks (although some here hate its looks I like its appearance), it's good for hauling people around who are rather large, and it's got a lot of other nice attributes but in terms of everyday practicality and value it comes way short of the Nouvo Elegance. Let's see....at 75,000 baht plus 10,000 baht for a box that's 85,000 baht which is double the price of a Nouvo Elegance and once you put the box on the back you are definitely not going to have a spot on which you can strap your desktop computer when you take it in for repair.

Your figures are way off. As I said, I checked with the Honda dealer about 2 weeks ago, and the price quoted for the PCX was B72,000, but he came down to B69,000 in a heartbeat. I think more discount was possible, but I'll stop there. The Givi Honda box is B4,000, and the one with the Givi name is B2,500. The Honda box has been styled for the PCX, so I'll use that. Forget insurance and registration, since it will be an equal adder to both bikes. PCX with box is B73,000. A Nuovo Elegance with alloy wheels is B56,000, which make the PCX 30.357% more expensive, no way near "double" -- more to the point, its a difference of about $566 spread over a few years of use -- a very small price to pay for a far FAR superior motorbike/box combination. And, if you didn't notice, the box slides off (with the key), leaving a flat rack (about 6 inches wide) on the back, with metal tubes to anchor the cords, which would be a far more stable surface to anchor a desktop computer. Or better still, you could move into the 21st century ands buy a laptop. And motorbikes by their very size and design are good for carrying around 1 or 2 people for fairly short distances, and not much more. People try to expand that use out of necessity, and some ways are certainly better than others. A box on the back is far better than hooks to dangle bags. I have seen people riding with 3 or 4 bags dangling from the mirrors, which works but I woundn't do it. As I said, I see the Thai side cars all of the time, and they are cheap ways to move a lot of stuff around -- I would not rate them or the Elegance as more practical or better "value" than the PCX. If you want 10 year old technology in a rather unappealing package (but 10cc more) and with hooks, the Yamaha Elegance will give you that for less money -- if you consider that "value" then you, as you said, have found the "deal of the century".

Hi,

Which Honda dealer in Pattaya actually sells it to "listprice"?

Was at the big one on Threprasit but they were asking 77,000, no extras and besides not very interested in doing business...

Christian

Almost all of the motorcycle shops in Pattaya are Mityon. The sales guy I spoke to was from Mityon but was setting up a display for Honda and Yamaha on the first floor of Tesco/Lotus on Pattaya Nua. I am not sure which shop he was from. He agreed to B69,000 quickly. My experience has been that the shop on Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road has the best sales staff and will "deal" more seriously than the others. The one across from Carrefour was closed for a long time and has recently opened, and they may be interested in sales -- I would try them. I bought my PCX in Sri Ratcha about 4 months ago. We stopped in to the same shop to look at the new red one, and their price was B72,000 -- no discount. If you can't find a better deal in Pattaya, I can give you the name and phone number for that shop in Sri Ratcha -- it is not Mityon.

Your figures are way off. As I said, I checked with the Honda dealer about 2 weeks ago, and the price quoted for the PCX was B72,000, but he came down to B69,000 in a heartbeat. I think more discount was possible, but I'll stop there. The Givi Honda box is B4,000, and the one with the Givi name is B2,500. The Honda box has been styled for the PCX, so I'll use that. Forget insurance and registration, since it will be an equal adder to both bikes. PCX with box is B73,000. A Nuovo Elegance with alloy wheels is B56,000, which make the PCX 30.357% more expensive, no way near "double" -- more to the point, its a difference of about $566 spread over a few years of use -- a very small price to pay for a far FAR superior motorbike/box combination. And, if you didn't notice, the box slides off (with the key), leaving a flat rack (about 6 inches wide) on the back, with metal tubes to anchor the cords, which would be a far more stable surface to anchor a desktop computer. Or better still, you could move into the 21st century ands buy a laptop. And motorbikes by their very size and design are good for carrying around 1 or 2 people for fairly short distances, and not much more. People try to expand that use out of necessity, and some ways are certainly better than others. A box on the back is far better than hooks to dangle bags. I have seen people riding with 3 or 4 bags dangling from the mirrors, which works but I woundn't do it. As I said, I see the Thai side cars all of the time, and they are cheap ways to move a lot of stuff around -- I would not rate them or the Elegance as more practical or better "value" than the PCX. If you want 10 year old technology in a rather unappealing package (but 10cc more) and with hooks, the Yamaha Elegance will give you that for less money -- if you consider that "value" then you, as you said, have found the "deal of the century".

Figures way off? I'm getting them from the guys here plus what was given to me just last week at a local dealer. As to the box in the back, I suppose its costs is related to its quality. And from what I've seen of bike luggage I can't see a lot of long lasting quality coming from a box that is 2500 baht. I smell a lot of profiteering here by Honda dealers both for the 250 CBR and now the PCX. Now as to my moving into the 21st century and buying a laptop I'm into something like my sixth laptop now but find the need for several computers at my place due to how much and what I use them for. Now, you mention using the flat rack on the back as a far superior place to anchor cords? Where do you anchor them to on the bottom? The passenger foot pegs? And who cares if they are superior or not even if you had a place to anchor the bungee cords to on the opposite end if the rail on the back of the Nouvo Elegance's seat does the job every time? Your argument of this being superior setup for bungee cords makes about as much sense to me as your inviting people to hang bags on mirrors even if you wouldn't do it yourself. Once again you are not being logical. Your calling Yamaha's technology in the Nouvo Elegance 10 year old technology is complete rubbish by the way. Once again I see both the PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance as presently being the top bikes of their kind with advantages going to each one. But, even if the PCX has an overall edge over the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, which I'm not going to concede, I hardly think it's worth paying 69,000 baht for it, let alone 75000 baht. Hey....even though a scooter is much more in tune with my needs I'd much rather pay an equivalent amount of money for the new 150 CBR and use external luggage and its mirrors for carrying my grocery bags than paying 75,000 baht for a PCX that probably won't even break 60 miles an hour.

Edited by jackcorbett

I've been wondering about these price differences. It is hard not to believe that some communities are holding out for high prices, and others not. Does not have to be us - we've seen posted here a number of reports of significantly higher prices than those apparently is being charged in Pattaya.

There has been speculation that Honda's new three, Pcx to cbrs 150 & 250, are being sold out-of-country by local dealers in order to realize a better profit. I don't know, but it's clear that here in the North Honda dealers are charging more than elsewhere.

Their fooling around up here in CM decided me on another brand - forget the

I've been wondering about these price differences. It is hard not to believe that some communities are holding out for high prices, and others not. Does not have to be us - we've seen posted here a number of reports of significantly higher prices than those apparently is being charged in Pattaya.

There has been speculation that Honda's new three, Pcx to cbrs 150 & 250, are being sold out-of-country by local dealers in order to realize a better profit. I don't know, but it's clear that here in the North Honda dealers are charging more than elsewhere.

You could be right. I've noticed that the PCX is now on the Honda U.S. web site. The Honda 150 SHi is still being made in Italy. Not sure on those PCX's for the American market which could be manufactured in Thailand. Suggested retail is around $3400 in the U.S. whereas the 150 SHi is $1100 more. Yamaha seems not to be making much of an effort in this market segment as you either go all the way to a 400 c.c. Majesty at over $6000 or the even higher priced T Max or you opt for the Vino or primo or zumas which it has been selling for some time in the 125 c.c. class and which seem a little prehistoric with their 12 inch little wheels, outdated looks and so forth. Perhaps Yamaha is presently gearing its Nouvos for an Asian market only whereas Honda sees its PCX as a world standard at European..American level prices whereas the Nouvo's are meant to sell at a lower price level. For now, that is.

We could be back to square on in the 1970's when Honda was offering very affordable well balanced all around bikes around 350 c.c's. in size but decided it would go for the big bucks by convincing potential buyers that you weren't really a man unless you had at least 100 horsepower and 1000 c'c's between your legs and for many years neglected the end of the market it had once served so well. Only this time around Honda will be trying the same tricks with scooters.

I am guessing that Honda is allocating the "hot" bikes to dealers on the basis of a dealer's total sales -- the more you sell in total, the more PCXs and CBRs you can get from Honda. This is a very common practice in the automobile market. That coupled with more bikes being shipped out of Thailand due to a higher profit margin (I doubt that this is being done at the dealer level), means that dealers in lower volume areas cannot get very many of the hot bikes, where sellers in areas where sales volumes are quite high can get a lot. Pattaya is a very high volume sales area for small bikes. I am guessing that Chiang Mai is less so. So, the dealers in CM get few of the PCXs and probably cannot meet the demand at "list price", so they raise the price and still sell their full quota. In Pattaya, Mityon (the main seller in Pattaya) sells tons of bikes and gets a lot of PCXs and to move that many bikes it needs to and does offer some discounts off the list price. The differential in price should sort itself out in a few months.

Ok- stop arguing- buy my pcx with a honda givi box- special price 50k- the bikes are designed differently and you can not compare the pcx with the nouvo...

What is the mileage and what color? .... And of course you can compare a PCX and a Nouvo -- people in the market for a scooter do it all the time -- in this case, it like comparing a young race horse with an old plow mule. If you want something designed for hauling around your broken crap -- toaster oven, desktop computer, washing machine (ah, maybe not) -- or you're just plain cheap, the Nouvo may be right for you. If you want a bike that looks good and is really fun to ride (albeit at 30% more money), well.... I think you know the right answer.... (hint, for those with weak or non-existent skills of evaluation/comparison, it is not the Nouvo).

Ok- stop arguing- buy my pcx with a honda givi box- special price 50k- the bikes are designed differently and you can not compare the pcx with the nouvo...

What is the mileage and what color? .... And of course you can compare a PCX and a Nouvo -- people in the market for a scooter do it all the time -- in this case, it like comparing a young race horse with an old plow mule. If you want something designed for hauling around your broken crap -- toaster oven, desktop computer, washing machine (ah, maybe not) -- or you're just plain cheap, the Nouvo may be right for you. If you want a bike that looks good and is really fun to ride (albeit at 30% more money), well.... I think you know the right answer.... (hint, for those with weak or non-existent skills of evaluation/comparison, it is not the Nouvo).

Priceless :cheesy: but true !!

I'd also confirm you're comments re pricing, I was quoted 69,000 for any colour including the new red 2 days ago from the dealer I bought mine from 14 months ago. However, if my experience is anything to go by you may need to shop around the dealers as there are plenty that try to extort a premium on the list price.

I find it totally practical and very rarely have the need to hang any bags off the bars or anywhere else, the underseat storage takes a surprising amount of groceries. I'd rate it one of my best buys here in Thailand.

I guess you have to put me in the plain cheap category. That and my old plow mule will easily outrun the young race horse. I really can't feel any difference in riding comfort other than that stupid bump and downward facing seat on the PCX gets my knickers in a twist. If you put a new seat on the Honda, it would then be the equal of the Elegance as far as ride comfort. Why would I want to pay a 19,000 baht premium for features that I really don't like. I much prefer to control the front brake myself. The start stop feature is another waste of money. I really don't care if I save a teaspoon full of benzine at an intersection.

I guess you have to put me in the plain cheap category.

Yup :lol:

Why would I want to pay a 19,000 baht premium for features that I really don't like. I much prefer to control the front brake myself. The start stop feature is another waste of money. I really don't care if I save a teaspoon full of benzine at an intersection.

You've really answered that for yourself, simply the PCX is not for you

BUT 69,000 (PCX) - 56,000 (NE with alloys) = 13,000

(i.e. NOT 19,000)

You saved yourself 13,000 .............be happy with that.

Others here think that's a small premium for a far better, more advanced & stylish bike.

Asked again at a local Honda dealer, any colour with brown = 70,000 baht

Red/Black or White/Black = 72,000 baht...... both with all paperwork insurance and road tax.

I was waiting for the cheaper model without the stop/start etc, but the demand for the top model is so high could well be many more months...

As for the Elegance v PCX

From what I can see...... Fi so much more up-to-date engine management, Stop/start feature, wind-shield, auto foot stand, bigger tyres. remote start + alarm and immobilizer + bigger size then the Elegance.

Sure I do not want that hump in the seat and no traffic lights anywhere I will ride so the stop/start is a waste, but put both bikes side by side and it is clear why you would have to pay extra for the PCX

Edit: Really the Elegance and the Hayate are the same size... the Suzuki has the Fi so much more up-to-date engine management + is cheaper....... Why then is the Yamaha so expensive ?

Edited by ignis

. . . And motorbikes by their very size and design are good for carrying around 1 or 2 people for fairly short distances, and not much more. People try to expand that use out of necessity, and some ways are certainly better than others. A box on the back is far better than hooks to dangle bags. I have seen people riding with 3 or 4 bags dangling from the mirrors, which works but I woundn't do it. As I said, I see the Thai side cars all of the time, and they are cheap ways to move a lot of stuff around -- I would not rate them or the Elegance as more practical or better "value" than the PCX. If you want 10 year old technology in a rather unappealing package (but 10cc more) and with hooks, the Yamaha Elegance will give you that for less money -- if you consider that "value" then you, as you said, have found the "deal of the century".

. . . Your argument of this being superior setup for bungee cords makes about as much sense to me as your inviting people to hang bags on mirrors even if you wouldn't do it yourself. Once again you are not being logical.

You seem to have some problem with the English language. Perhaps English is not your first/primary language, which could make the problem understandable. What I said was that "I have seen people . . .", which is of course true. I expect that everyone has seen this -- just walk through Foodland's parking lot on a Saturday afternoon and you will see dozens of people leaving with shopping bags hanging from their bikes' mirrors. I don't condone, "invite" or recommend such behavior, because I do not think it is safe -- "I wouldn't do it" (actually, I did do it once when all that I had bought would not fit in the box on the back -- live (hopefully) and learn . I am not sure that riding with 4 shopping bags hanging from a hook between your legs is safe either, but to each his own. What people choose to do is their business, and they do not ask for my approval or for my invitation. If I was going to transport a large object, I certainlty wouldn't do it on a motorbike. In those very rare occasions I would get help from a friend with a car, take a Baht bus or rent a taxi (all of B100, max). And I certainly wouldnt use the ability to "strap" an overly large object on a motorbike in a way that it was never intended to be used (transparent or not) and is probably not safe, in the same way that I would never bolt a side car on a motorbike, regarless of the "practicality" it offers, as a factor in deciding which bike to buy -- utter foolishness (I also didn't choose a car on which one would allow me to transport a 6 foot sofa to the reupholsterer strapped to the roof using bungee cords -- perhaps you would). I hope that I have been clear enough for you, whether it makes sense to you or not. Cheers,

Edited by Thailaw

I guess you have to put me in the plain cheap category. That and my old plow mule will easily outrun the young race horse. I really can't feel any difference in riding comfort other than that stupid bump and downward facing seat on the PCX gets my knickers in a twist. If you put a new seat on the Honda, it would then be the equal of the Elegance as far as ride comfort. Why would I want to pay a 19,000 baht premium for features that I really don't like. I much prefer to control the front brake myself. The start stop feature is another waste of money. I really don't care if I save a teaspoon full of benzine at an intersection.

Gary.....I'd rather put you in the category of having more financial acumen.

A lot of Thais simply laugh at the PCX. The same ones will not laugh at the CBR by the way. Example in point....the young guy who we often use for our taxi driver to get to the airport, Korat to visit my gf's family, etc. He mentions how fat and unnecessarily heavy the PCX is and how fast the Nouvo Elegance is by comparison, stating it will do 120 kph. Now I personally don't think the Elegance will hit 120 kph but I do think it's good for another 10 kph over the PCX. The true beauty of the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance is it's designed for doing some rather serious business. Compared to smaller model motorbikes such as the Fino, Mio, and Click, it's got a long wheel base and substantially larger tires which translates into greater stability. It's got a lot more storage space. And it's got more grunt with its superb 135 c.c. engine. From what i understand a manual transmission Yamaha Spark is a pretty fast bike for its class and a good bike. However, it doesn't have the under the seat storage space the Nouvo Elegance has. The Elegance simply gets it all done while delivering good handling, a smooth ride great storage ability and it will even get over some pretty tall curbs due to its large diameter tires that an Air Blade for example will flounder trying to get over and I think the same would be true for the PCX.

Now, the PCX is not a bad bike. But comparing it to the Nouvo Elegance would be about like comparing a Mazda Miata sports car to a Honda Accord. The Accord is a great car for what it is and so it the Miata. And here I'm talking about relativity because a scooter cannot be compared to a high performance sport bike by any stretch of the imagination. The Miata is simply the finest sports car in its price range while the Accord is usually in the front ranks as the finest family sedan in its price range. Neither will compare to say a top of the line BMW passenger car or Porsche 911 but both are dam_n good for $30,000 or less. But the Accord is meant for families. It is does not even begin to match the Miata's sizzling handling or its sports car credentials. The Elegance is more like the Miata, slim, elegant, all business, great handling, easy to park, and quick and surprisingly quite comfortable. The PCX is more like the Accord...bulky by comparison and no match for the Miata on the road when it comes to speed and handling. But now.......when we start putting price in the equation it's like Honda all of a sudden raised the price of its Accord from $30,000 to $45,000.

Edited by jackcorbett

(hint, for those with weak or non-existent skills of evaluation/comparison, it is not the Nouvo).

You mean such as your inability to find the lower anchor points for bungee cords on a PCX to go with the wonderful top anchor point provided by the bracket of an extra cost top box? Or claiming that hanging bags on mirrors is a reasonable way to carry bags but you of course wouldn't do it? Do you find a consistent lack of logic in just about everything you've said so far?

. . . And motorbikes by their very size and design are good for carrying around 1 or 2 people for fairly short distances, and not much more. People try to expand that use out of necessity, and some ways are certainly better than others. A box on the back is far better than hooks to dangle bags. I have seen people riding with 3 or 4 bags dangling from the mirrors, which works but I woundn't do it. As I said, I see the Thai side cars all of the time, and they are cheap ways to move a lot of stuff around -- I would not rate them or the Elegance as more practical or better "value" than the PCX. If you want 10 year old technology in a rather unappealing package (but 10cc more) and with hooks, the Yamaha Elegance will give you that for less money -- if you consider that "value" then you, as you said, have found the "deal of the century".

. . . Your argument of this being superior setup for bungee cords makes about as much sense to me as your inviting people to hang bags on mirrors even if you wouldn't do it yourself. Once again you are not being logical.

You seem to have some problem with the English language. Perhaps English is not your first/primary language, which could make the problem understandable. What I said was that "I have seen people . . .", which is of course true. I expect that everyone has seen this -- just walk through Foodland's parking lot on a Saturday afternoon and you will see dozens of people leaving with shopping bags hanging from their bikes' mirrors. I don't condone, "invite" or recommend such behavior, because I do not think it is safe -- "I wouldn't do it" (actually, I did do it once when all that I had bought would not fit in the box on the back -- live (hopefully) and learn . I am not sure that riding with 4 shopping bags hanging from a hook between your legs is safe either, but to each his own. What people choose to do is their business, and they do not ask for my approval or for my invitation. If I was going to transport a large object, I certainlty wouldn't do it on a motorbike. In those very rare occasions I would get help from a friend with a car, take a Baht bus or rent a taxi (all of B100, max). And I certainly wouldnt use the ability to "strap" an overly large object on a motorbike in a way that it was never intended to be used (transparent or not) and is probably not safe, in the same way that I would never bolt a side car on a motorbike, regarless of the "practicality" it offers, as a factor in deciding which bike to buy -- utter foolishness (I also didn't choose a car on which one would allow me to transport a 6 foot sofa to the reupholsterer strapped to the roof using bungee cords -- perhaps you would). I hope that I have been clear enough for you, whether it makes sense to you or not. Cheers,

Here Here, totally agree, why would you base a decision on this type of bike based on it's lack of bungee hooks ? If I wanted to ship a larger item there are better & safer ways to do it.

Gary.....I'd rather put you in the category of having more financial acumen.

A lot of Thais simply laugh at the PCX. The same ones will not laugh at the CBR by the way. Example in point....the young guy who we often use for our taxi driver to get to the airport, Korat to visit my gf's family, etc. He mentions how fat and unnecessarily heavy the PCX is and how fast the Nouvo Elegance is by comparison, stating it will do 120 kph. Now I personally don't think the Elegance will hit 120 kph but I do think it's good for another 10 kph over the PCX. The true beauty of the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance is it's designed for doing some rather serious business. Compared to smaller model motorbikes such as the Fino, Mio, and Click, it's got a long wheel base and substantially larger tires which translates into greater stability. It's got a lot more storage space. And it's got more grunt with its superb 135 c.c. engine. From what i understand a manual transmission Yamaha Spark is a pretty fast bike for its class and a good bike. However, it doesn't have the under the seat storage space the Nouvo Elegance has. The Elegance simply gets it all done while delivering good handling, a smooth ride great storage ability and it will even get over some pretty tall curbs due to its large diameter tires that an Air Blade for example will flounder trying to get over and I think the same would be true for the PCX.

Now, the PCX is not a bad bike. But comparing it to the Nouvo Elegance would be about like comparing a Mazda Miata sports car to a Honda Accord. The Accord is a great car for what it is and so it the Miata. And here I'm talking about relativity because a scooter cannot be compared to a high performance sport bike by any stretch of the imagination. The Miata is simply the finest sports car in its price range while the Accord is usually in the front ranks as the finest family sedan in its price range. Neither will compare to say a top of the line BMW passenger car or Porsche 911 but both are dam_n good for $30,000 or less. But the Accord is meant for families. It is does not even begin to match the Miata's sizzling handling or its sports car like credentials. The Elegance is more like the Miata, slim, elegant, all business, great handling, easy to park, and quick and surprisingly quite comfortable. The PCX is more like the Accord...bulky by comparison and no match for the Miata on the road when it comes to speed and handling. But now.......when we start putting price in the equation it's like Honda all of a sudden raised the price of its Accord from $30,000 to $45,000.

Oh please not that old chestnut about the Miata......... best sports car in the world de da de da de da.

It's a bona fide HAIRDRESSERS sportscar :rolleyes:

However, you're (in your inimitable manner) taking this somewhat off-topic.

The original poster was asking whether 69,000 was a price he would find for the PCX. The answer to that question is yes

Edited by b19bry

If I was going to transport a large object, I certainlty wouldn't do it on a motorbike.

Maybe another Topic but yesterday afternoon was 2 guys on a scooter, the one driving was stood leaning against a large TV the other guy hanging over the back was typing to hold the TV on the bike.

Go to Vietnam it is truly amazing what people can load on a motorbike or scooter