Malaysian Arrested With 1.6 Kg Of ‘Ice’ At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Malaysian arrested with 1.6 kg of ‘ice’

BANGKOK, Feb 3 – An alleged Malaysian drug smuggler on Thursday was arrested in possession of 1.6 kilos of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as 'ice,’ at Suvarnabhumi Airport, according to Thai police.

Neoh Bee Geok, a Malaysian Chinese woman, was detained at Thailand’s main international airport with 1.6kg of the illicit drug hidden in a chocolate box while she was in transit at the airport after flying from Malaysia’s Penang state and waited for a flight operated by Philippine Airlines en route to Manila.

Apart from the box of drugs in her baggage, police also found 627 Malaysian ringgits (about Bt6,400 or US$200) and 50,000 Philippine pesos (Bt35,000 or $1,100).

The suspect said she was hired by a drug trafficking agent in Malaysia to deliver the crystal meth to a drug agent in the Philippines. Following an investigation, the authorities detained an ethnic Chinese Malaysian man, Lee Kean Soon, suspected of smuggling the drugs as they observed that the man behaved suspiciously, as had the woman suspect and had the same destination to the Philippine capital.

The police thought that both may be members of the same drug ring but traveling to their destination by different flights.

In other drug-related news, police in Lampang arrested two ethnic Hmong women, Pitsamai Tiwanan and Srinuan Wongchareonchok, with three kilogrammes of ‘ice.’ Both said that they were paid Bt30,000 (around $1,000) to deliver the drug to agents in the north, saying that it was the first time they had carried drugs.

Meanwhile, two Myanmar nationals, Sai Sun Teng and Kaeng Tunkam, were apprehended in Mae Rim of Chiang Mai province smuggling 100,000 methamphetamine 'speed' pills from bordering Pang Mapha district of mountainous Mae Hong Son. They intended to deliver the drugs to customers in metropolitan Bangkok. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-02-03

Uh, no, it isn't always 1.6kg...not even twice in this news-article.

you will find that previous arrests at the airport, including Iranians just before xmas were in fact around 1.6 kg.

1st here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/407265-thai-customs-arrest-iranian-at-suvarnabhumi-with-15kg-liquid-ice-worth-us180000/page__st__25__p__3960289__hl__ice+iranian__fromsearch__1#entry3960289

and here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/408506-three-iranians-arrested-at-suvarnabhumi-with-12-kg-of-ice-worth-us134000/page__st__25__p__3969460__hl__ice+iranian__fromsearch__1#entry3969460

always around the same weight

so yes it is always around the same weight

you will find that previous arrests at the airport, including Iranians just before xmas were in fact around 1.6 kg.

1st here http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3960289

and here

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3969460

Wow!!!! "The new Sherlock Holmes"

1st here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/407265-thai-customs-arrest-iranian-at-suvarnabhumi-with-15kg-liquid-ice-worth-us180000/page__st__25__p__3960289__hl__ice+iranian__fromsearch__1#entry3960289

and here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/408506-three-iranians-arrested-at-suvarnabhumi-with-12-kg-of-ice-worth-us134000/page__st__25__p__3969460__hl__ice+iranian__fromsearch__1#entry3969460

You are a typical conspiracy nut, only referencing the cases that support your belief. Now, please, list the arrests in the last 30 days and note what OTHER weights they where carrying...

Another airport arrest? What the hell is going on this week?

Yer right. Me thinks Bangkok airport has recently taken delivery of some new toys...

http://www.as-e.com/

These 'toys' are pretty revolutionary and can detect everything suspicious (drugs/explosives/etc) hidden in baggage and, er, even bodily orifices.

So it would now appear that the profession of international 'drugs mule' has just got very risky indeed.

Oh, and BTW, one should not confuse these new toys with the usual trashy 'film-eating' x-ray baggage scanners that have been around for donkeys years, or them impolite 'whole body scanners' that have got a lot of publicity in recent times...

A hint at the level of technology involved in this new gear, is that the inventor won a Nobel Prize;

http://www.as-e.com/ (Though don't click this link unless you have an I.Q. over 150 else your brain will explode trying to make sense of the techno-blurb)

So then... 'good old Professor Compton'!

It may not always be 1.6 kg involved but it mostly is 'arrested'.

Trust me.

I've followed these cases, all of them for more than the last 30 days and in none of them have they ever declared 'allowed to catch connecting flight'. That so they can meet up with the drug cartel and deliver the load safely for distribution on the streets of Manilla.

I'm also confident I didn't miss any head line alluding to 'Nigerian allowed to fly on to Vietnam with 'x' kg of ice, in goodwill gesture'. But I do recall something similar around Xmas time; the season of goodwill.

Neither have I read anywhere that any drug mules were upgraded, allowed extra baggage or a look at the flight controls.

I'm pretty sure then that the 'arrested' part holds good as does the supply of drugs coming in from the north, south and central plains.

It’s funny how the mundane these continual “drugs” stories are.

The media and governments just won’t let up in their efforts to try and pin all the world’s ills on things like “drugs”. It becomes one of these big fear issues, that can be endlessly presented in the public eye, one of those things that we can all be scared of together…regardless of whether we have any direct negative experience to draw on concerning the evil contraband.

The politicians and uniformed types are happy because they have a perfect jack in the soap box issue that they can trot out all the time and tell the public how they are saving them…and there’s also the issue of baksheesh on the side. The media is happy because they can fluff out their boring news with it. It’s also great for justifying police budgets and generally a good excuse to get in people’s faces.

The security business is happy because they know their bread and butter is guaranteed as long as they can keep convincing people it’s all incredibly necessary.

If we went back to the days of witch hunts in the Middle Ages a comparable topic might read…

“Toothless Old Crone Apprehended at County Fair with Eye of Newt, Hedgehog Entrails and A Bag of Magic Potion”.

Later in the week they can all burn the witch, slay the dragon and feel glad it wasn’t them. Saved from a fate worse than a fate worse than death by the gallant sheriff and his men.

It's pretty lame really.

1st here http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3960289

and here

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3969460

You are a typical conspiracy nut, only referencing the cases that support your belief. Now, please, list the arrests in the last 30 days and note what OTHER weights they where carrying...

and I am a conspiracy nut because???????????? Just pointing something out.. Don't get your panties in a twist there

It's funny how the mundane these continual "drugs" stories are.

The media and governments just won't let up in their efforts to try and pin all the world's ills on things like "drugs". It becomes one of these big fear issues, that can be endlessly presented in the public eye, one of those things that we can all be scared of together…regardless of whether we have any direct negative experience to draw on concerning the evil contraband.

The politicians and uniformed types are happy because they have a perfect jack in the soap box issue that they can trot out all the time and tell the public how they are saving them…and there's also the issue of baksheesh on the side. The media is happy because they can fluff out their boring news with it. It's also great for justifying police budgets and generally a good excuse to get in people's faces.

The security business is happy because they know their bread and butter is guaranteed as long as they can keep convincing people it's all incredibly necessary.

If we went back to the days of witch hunts in the Middle Ages a comparable topic might read…

"Toothless Old Crone Apprehended at County Fair with Eye of Newt, Hedgehog Entrails and A Bag of Magic Potion".

Later in the week they can all burn the witch, slay the dragon and feel glad it wasn't them. Saved from a fate worse than a fate worse than death by the gallant sheriff and his men.

It's pretty lame really.

uh, except for the minor detail that crystal is speed - which can kill users or those around them. Ever wonder exactly what those crazed van drivers are on as they tailgate you at 120 Kph, then pull a dumba$$ NASCAR pass within inches of your front bumper just to gain five meters and the upper hand since you wouldnt get out of the way in a long line of gridlocked traffic?! Get real, some of this stuff is dangerous to more than just the idiot taking it.

and I am a conspiracy nut because???????????? Just pointing something out.. Don't get your panties in a twist there

Because you say that most catches supposedly are of the same size, which isn't true, and then link to catches that in themselves doesn't even replicate the number in question, just being 'close'. But we have catches closer in time than those linked that was 6kg, 8kg etc.

O-well...

I wish the press would follow up on these endless drug seizure stories with some reports on the actual trials, convictions and sentencing of these individuals.

Thailand makes heavy threats of capital punishment but I wonder what the reality is. I suspect many are quietly repatriated to their home countries...not that I'm suggesting that any legal tender changes hands.

• 3 months later...

Seems that Thailand is a transit point for all sorts of illegal trade. Must be the superb connecting flights at Suvarnabumi airport. Anyway, have heard of many stories of naive women who got caught in this smuggling trade after accepting a 'free' holiday trip to somewhere exotic like Africa or south America. Also of old ladies who ask passengers for help to carry their luggage or people having left their luggage bags unattended and later finding drugs inside (after being caught by the police, of course!). Just the other day, prior to boarding a flight to Penang, a lady asked me if aI could help bring 1 box of duty free cigarette so she would not pay taxes in Malaysia. I noticed she'd bought 4 boxes with her. I refused - who knows what lies in there! It's also a crazy idea of saving a few dollars for a box of cigarette.