Paying Overstay At Airport

I'm leaving Thailand on the 9th, but my visa runs out a few days before. Is it ok to pay the 600 bt fine or are they more strict at the airport?

They are less strict at the airport (i.e. they'll let you pay the overstay fine and leave Thailand). If for some reason the police should want to look at your passport beforehand and discover that you are an overstayer, you'll go straight to the Immigration Detention Center.

The airport is probably the best place to be with overstay. But be aware you are at risk until you leave as you will be illegal and any police stop could result in serious problems.

If a person is expecting to be into overstay it would be most wise to go to immigration before so and pay the 1,900 baht to extend a few days. If you can show outbound tickets within a few days I believe most places will try to provide you the required time.

I'm leaving Thailand on the 9th, but my visa runs out a few days before. Is it ok to pay the 600 bt fine or are they more strict at the airport?

Cheers!

I, personaly, have never had a problem with a few days overstay when going through Don Muang. You will be directed to the Immigration Overstay Office after passing through the Passport Control / Departures area. Do not be too concerned if your overstay fine is 200 bht more than you thought :o I was led to beleive that if your overstay was 3 days then the fine was 400 bht. (first 24 hrs not counting) On the 3 occasions that I have overstayed my fine was always 200 bht more than I expected. Mai Pen Rai. Pay it and go :D An Immigration employee friend of mine told me that an overstay stamp in your passport (the triangular one) is neither here or there, its just part of the proccess. I am not sure if the situation may be different dependant on the type of visa ??? Maybe someone else can help you out there.

My friend had no problem with 8 years overstay(20,000 + 500 for the officer), but of course he was very lucky that he wasn't caught during those 8 years. not a good idea.

That's an understatement. I cannot imagine living like that. I think I would be paranoid every time I saw I cop. :o

20k+departure tax maybe?
nah he paid an officer didn't he, sounds like he was caught out for the extra 500.
I was Two days over and had to pay 400baht but they take you into a little office and treat you as if you had commited a big crime

To be fair, you are illegaly staying in their country. :o

Paid OS at the airport before and at Immi in BKK, no hassle, all smiles.

I was led to beleive that if your overstay was 3 days then the fine was 400 bht. (first 24 hrs not counting) On the 3 occasions that I have overstayed my fine was always 200 bht more than I expected.

1 day overstay: no fine

2 or more days overstay: 200 Baht per day

I would find it quite normal for the official rule to state a fine of 200 Baht per day, including the first day, for an overstay of 2 or more days.

Who knows the official rule? Lopburi?

Cheers!

I once was in the hospital in Chiang Mai (some crazy fever from a pesky insect bite!) and overstayed my visa by a few weeks, paying the fine upon departure.

The problem I experienced is that when I applied for a new visa at the Thai embassy back home, one of the immigration officers saw the "overstayed visa" stamps in my passport and refused to issue me a visa, telling me that I was someone who "disregarded the rules in Thailand"!!! I had to write a letter with medical expense reports to get the immigration person to issue another visa!

Perhaps the guy was having a bad day, I don't know. Seemed a bit strange to me, but, based on that experience, I do not advocate a default strategy - "just pay the fine" at the airport. If you have time, go do a proper visa extension before your visa expires ...... you might run into an immigration officer like I did, and wish your passport did not have stamps stating you overstayed your visa in the Kingdom.

Cheers!

I notice those guys at the overstay office wear alot of gold and read high performance car magazines when not collecting overstay fines.

They love to see you coming.

.......where?

My friend had no problem with 8 years overstay(20,000 + 500 for the officer), but of course he was very lucky that he wasn't caught during those 8 years. not a good idea.

He got overcharged then, it should be 20 k flat.

:oAnd what, he should have complained? LOL.............DJM

The problem I experienced is that when I applied for a new visa at the Thai embassy back home, one of the immigration officers saw the "overstayed visa" stamps in my passport and refused to issue me a visa, telling me that I was someone who "disregarded the rules in Thailand"!!!

Just one more reason to use an Honorary Consulate. I used the Thai Embassy in DC for years, as it's within driving distance. But I've gotten some quixotic results for my two round trips over there. So last time it was an Honorary. Now I have a short drive to the post office; no lord-of-the-manor BS from MFA personnel; dealt with an 'aw shucks you all' Texan; and 4 days later the postman rang my bell with my visa.

Makes no sense to use an MFA facility -- even if you live right next door.

The problem I experienced is that when I applied for a new visa at the Thai embassy back home, one of the immigration officers saw the "overstayed visa" stamps in my passport and refused to issue me a visa, telling me that I was someone who "disregarded the rules in Thailand"!!!

Just one more reason to use an Honorary Consulate. I used the Thai Embassy in DC for years, as it's within driving distance. But I've gotten some quixotic results for my two round trips over there. So last time it was an Honorary. Now I have a short drive to the post office; no lord-of-the-manor BS from MFA personnel; dealt with an 'aw shucks you all' Texan; and 4 days later the postman rang my bell with my visa.

Makes no sense to use an MFA facility -- even if you live right next door.

Roger that Mr. Gant! Yes, my experience was in DC as well. Thanks for the excellent advice on using an Honorary Consulate. I've never done this, but will in the future. How do we find them, BTW? Google?

Here's the link to the Thai Embassy Washington, visa section:

Thai Consulates

Scroll to the bottom of the page, where there is a list of all the honorary consulates in the US.. Click on any one, and the entire list will be displayed. Email addresses and phone numbers are there. All the consulates, I believe, are good, although there is some variance as to what they might deliver (e.g., Denver apparently won't do an O-A, but most of the others will). You need to check ahead with your particular situation to see if it will fly. If you're married to a Thai and just want a multi entry "O," I think any one will do ( maybe not New Orleans for awhile :o ).

In my situation, I emailed the consulate, telling them I wanted an "O" visa and what documentation I planned to send. They email replied immediately, confirming my listed documentation was all that was needed -- and attached a copy of their application form (same as Embassy's, but with their particular Consulate stamp) plus some other instructions (who to make out the money order to, etc). They also provided a name and number, should I have further questions, and I used it to confirm desired form of postage (the lady I talked to was super helpful).

Bottom line: these consulates are strictly US staffed (in the US anyway) and are usually just a sideline to some other business where they're co-located. And unlike Thai MFA operations (Wash, LA, Chicago, New York), they use the discretion given them to be *very helpful* -- not empirically obstructionist, as apparently we both found out about the Embassy in Washington.

A lot more info on 'honorary consulates' on this forum. Searching around might provide some more data I forgot to mention. Oh, nothing geographical required, as far as I can tell. You can use any of the honoraries in the States, regardless of where you live in the States (but might be something to mention in your initial email inquiry).

Good luck.

Edited by JimGant

On the 19th July I left Don Muang paid 400bht for two days overstay, did get a bit of the silent naughty boy treatment, but maybe that is just paranoia, on 15th August applied for a 1 year non immigrant 'O' type multiple entry visa at Hull UK, by mail, visa returned

16th August, Yippee!