Scooters In Chiang Mai

AjarnRC

Hey guys and gals!

Let me preface my information request with some personal info so you know where I am coming from and where I'd like to go (in so many words...)

I worked in Bangkok teaching pratom level ESL courses for a semester one year ago. I'm returning to Thailand in April, more specifically to Chiang Mai to live, work, and live my dream (round 2, go!)

Bangkok was too chaotic to buy a scooter, but with plans to live and work in Chiang Mai, I think I'll be more comfortable taking the plunge, as it were (2 week scooter trips in nor thai will hook anybody...)

My questions are pretty basic. First, does anyone have a relatable story about buying their first scooter in Chiang Mai specifically? Is it relatively easy to buy, own and operate a scooter in general (or specifically in Chiang Mai...)? I am basically replacing my good friend at his school, and he explained that buying and riding a scooter is the smart way to do it, if you live and work in Chiang Mai.

It's something I'm very excited about, but I always tread warily in new situations and want to hear from people who have experienced such things first hand.

Thanks so much guys. Feel free to supplement any other pertinent info at your discretion. I look forward to responses and future interaction with you guys.

RC

Waltz into any Honda with work permit/passport and say I'll have that one please. ;)

You could probably have it on finance, too. I'd advise getting a step-through (eg, Honda Wave 125) rather than fully automatic (eg, Honda Click) as the latter have more things to go wrong and more expensive parts, and aren't as good going up and down mountains.

Honda make the best small bikes, which can last donkey's years, and you can take it back to where you bought it and get a decent amount back. Don't be tempted in second hand - don't know what it's been through and wouldn't save that much anyway.

First year should have free servicing, after which take it in every few thousand clicks to dealer to have oil changed, check up. Change tyres, air filter, spark plug every year whatever mileage done and drive train (chain, sprockets) every 10,000k. Always take to dealer service centre to have work done, not chumps on road. ;)

It is the only way to travel.

My scooter is 9 years old, bought it 2 years old used. Those little Honda's are die hards and cost very little to maintain. Was originally terrified to take it out when I first got here but independence is a value, and I was constantly getting ripped off by songtaew drivers as I didn't know the language or my way around.

Bought a beat up pick up truck to get me through the rainy season though ,but use it so little that the battery just died. I hate being stuck in traffic - but that isn't much of an issue when you're on the scooter. And the amount of shortcuts you can take compared to a car/truck are immeasurable.

I don't think I could drive one if I lived in BKK though, traffic there is insane compared to here. Wear your helmet, drive defensively (as though every other vehicle is trying to kill you) and enjoy the ride!!

Waltz into any Honda with work permit/passport and say I'll have that one please. ;)

You could probably have it on finance, too. I'd advise getting a step-through (eg, Honda Wave 125) rather than fully automatic (eg, Honda Click) as the latter have more things to go wrong and more expensive parts, and aren't as good going up and down mountains.

I think that was a while ago now, that the reliability and service cost of full-automatics was in doubt. I'd say they're well proven now. You're probably right that a Honda Click wouldn't do as well in the mud going up mountains as a Honda Wave would. But the full automatics should drive better / more stable in town. (Not because they're full automatic per se but because they're much newer designs generally)

Yes, Automatic.

Selecting gears is just another distraction you don't need while you're trying to deal with the new and insane traffic scene. Someone in a previous thread said, "If you want to do something with your feet, dance!"

You will sometimes have to slow down or stop for people who are struggling to change gears or are in the wrong gear for the situation - although every anti-auto person I know says they have never been in the wrong gear. laugh.gif

Autos will use a bit more fuel but there is no chain or sprockets maintenance. Just change the belt around 25K. My 110 cc hauls my 100 kg body + cargo through the mountains just fine.

If you buy new, the 1st year registration and liability insurance should be included. Theft, accident, etc insurance is extra but not expensive.

Stay alert, wear a helmet. It's scary out there.

You're probably right that a Honda Click wouldn't do as well in the mud going up mountains as a Honda Wave would. But the full automatics should drive better / more stable in town. (Not because they're full automatic per se but because they're much newer designs generally)

Yes. I have rented a Honda Scoopy-i for a couple of months now. Last winter I rode a Yamaha Fino for three months, and I have a Vespa GTS 250 at home, yet I'm really impressed with the ride of the Scoopy. Of course it's not as nice as the Vespa, but impressive nonetheless. It's nimble but stable. I've had it around the Samoeng loop several times, up Doi Suthep several times, and up Doi Inthanon once.

I can't comment on reliability, but from what I hear the problems with automatics are pretty much gone nowadays.

Go on test rides as much as possible and find one that you like to ride.

I rented short term a Yamaha, long term a Honda Wave 125 and long term a Honda Wave 110. All semi automatic. The Honda is by far the superior motorcycle. I thought that 110 would not have enough muscle, but I was mistaken. Semi automatic is easy to handle and gives you a bit more power on the hills.

You need a certificate of residency to register a m/c as yours, 500bht from CM immigration. Then about another 300bht at the registration centre to change the book.

Plenty of m/c markets around CM

My Honda Airblade cost 30kbht when 2 years old from a market.

Only real running costs are new tyres every now and then.

Servicing and repairs are so cheap as to be almost nothing.

Tax 101bht, insurance 350bht.

Don't get a bike with manual gears, it's a total pain in heavy CM traffic.

Edited by pjclark1

Don't get a bike with manual gears, it's a total pain in heavy CM traffic.

.... unless it's a big bike... then it's not a pain, on the contrary, it's FUN :D

But for scooters, oh yeah, definitely go with an auto. I'd get a Scoopy-i, you'll never have any problems. Used prices are comparatively high so doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.

As for certificate of residency - if you go to CM immigration with your rental contract and passport it takes about 30 minutes to get. Fotos and copies can be made there as needed.

But the dealer will explain that to you - to ride off with a brand new motorbike you don't need this - all you need is your passport, address, and cash.

Dealer takes care of registering the bike, getting plates and so on. Wait for them to tell you to get the cert of residency as these are only good for 15 days - so if you show up with one on the day you buy, it will be expired by the time the registration office takes a look at it, and you'll have to do another one.

Can anyone recommend a dealer that knows how to sell a bike to farangs? From my friend Tobys experience recently the Huay Kai road Honda dealer isn't very good at this. He had to get 2 certificates of residency, for example.

I would recommend whoever you buy from that you negotiate that THEY will go and register and get your name on the Green Book (All you should have to give them is copy of passport, certificate of residency and fee)... This will save you and afternoon of hassle...

I will put my vote in for Yamaha Nouvo...

Great bike but not too popular - Thai's consider it HiSo... :D

There are a few downsides to the scooters. Many of us know someone who has died or who has been permanently injured while on a scooter. Like another poster mentioned, you must wear a helmet and drive defensively as if every other vehicle is out to get you. I drove a scooter around CM for several years but no longer feel perfectly safe on one. Having said that, you can't beat them for cost, convenience and gas mileage. I greatly prefer the Honda Wave to the Honda Dream, but to each his own. I personally don't like the automatics. They seem heavier to me, and in those rare situations where you need to accelerate quickly the automatics don't work well for me.

Edited by roger1999

A couple of comments above mentioned needing a certificate of residency - this is not required if you have a work permit (should be the 1st thing the school does, if they're any good).

I'd recommend a semi auto 100/125cc as a first bike. You sound like a young guy who would enjoy the mountains and an auto is just no where near as much fun. I took my Wave 100 on the Mae Hong Son loop, loved it so much I sold the car and vowed never to buy one in Thailand again. Also, the semi auto makes the shift to fully manual gears easier - about 2km of riding in my experience. Make sure when you buy it it is fully OK to use with gasohol - standard benzine will no longer be available in Thailand in the next couple of years.

Options for a semi-auto:

Honda Wave - 110 or 125cc, fuel injected and fully built for use with gasohol, has a basket on the front for easy transportation of shopping. 34,000B to 48,000B new, from 15,000B for a decent 3/4 year old version. Beware the 34,000B version, it has a drum break rather than disk brake on the front. get one with a disk.

Honda CZi - 110cc, as above but with no basket and a better (imho) look. 38,000B new.

Yamaha Spark 135i - again fully gasohol compliant, the i version is the largest semi auto step through available with a whopping 135cc (insert sarcy smily). 53,000B new. Yamaha do a few other scooters, but since the X-1 stopped being made, they seem to only have the Nano (I think) which doesn't look a good option.

Suzuki do a 'Smash', but whilst Wave and Spark seem to get away with pretty naff names, Smash says all you need to know about this bike. IMHO of course.

Kawasaki have stopped making scooters apart from the KSR and KLX 110s, which are quirky, jumped up toys for 14 year old boys. You might find an old Kaze around.

Then there are the smaller manufacturers, but I'd avoid these as a newbie, maybe later when you have a mechanic you know does a good job.

My recommendation for a 1st bike would be go boring, get a Wave like everybody else. It won't let you down, guaranteed. New bikes have about 50% depreciation over the 1st 2 years, but you may be willing to pay that for the initial servicing and knowledge that it'll be spot on.

Personal experience - rented a Dream MkII (about 20 years old) for 1200B/month for 3 months, then bought my Wave 100cc which I rode for 2 years and was very unhappy to part with. Upgraded to a Yamaha X-1 in October - purely because I thought it looked much better than anything else, and a Tiger Boxer 250cc for out of town driving. I've loved every bike I've had, and the Tiger is fantastic fun, whilst not being a stupidly fun death mobile for a comparative novice like me.

And with reference to living the dream here, I'm currently sat at home living the dream drinking copious amounts of water and dashing to the toilet to release said water into the septic tank through my rectum (twice whilst typing this reply). Living the dream. For sure!

It is laughable that many motorcycle stores say 'Farang NO can buy motorbike'- as I have owned maybe 8 in the last decade. So my girl and I cannot hold back our laugh to each other every single time we hear this.... same as cars- most thai's have no idea of the buy\sell rules for Farang- as we are rarely their customers. When we are often the Farang is putting in a Thai girls name- IMO a mistake unless it a generous gift. You must accept it is a GIFT and you can never have it back- same as car, house, etc. Yet that another story and sounds like you wish to purchase in your own name. many times I have heard a shop say this is the first time they hear of a farang put in their name.... except in the middle of CMai city of course. But i do not find the best deals in the centre. Often if you go in with a Thai girl then they will try persuade you to put in the Thai name to save hassles.

Work permit or Certificate of Residency needed in the motor office to get the book in your name. Of couse with a Non Immigrant or above Visa typically.... EXCEPT;

Now in saying all that i purchased one on a Tourist Visa several times as I pay the guys 1500-2000bt in the Motor Office for speedy service and no hassles--- 'Tea money'. They always very happy. Manager get 1000bt and Thai mate whom an officer get 500bt + 100 pipers. lol. Always far easier than doing all the paperwork and getting it all together. Plus saves a great deal of time for $50 or so. Worth it IMO. Also pay it when i have current Non Immigrant Visa B that i mostly get--- as it saves time and hassle. As no work permit and cannot be bothered arranging Residency Certificate.

Seem to save on other costs that others need to pay- so the Thai way is far easier in my experience. Last 2 cars and 2 bikes i have performed the Thai way and regret all the hassles with all previous bikes and cars. Others will say it a rip off- yet it more efficient for me thus cost effective and no waiting around forever. Or going back and forth forever getting all the documents required- which often depends on the officer you get. Often all this hassle in past years simply put me off purchasing a big bike or car. Now all is good.

Cheers Jay

I was scared to death when I first started driving a scooter in Chiang Mai . I was use to riding a big harley back in the USA . I bought a Honda Click and after a few weeks of driving the knuckle crenches went away . I was glad I bought an automatic .... As far as where I drive I ve had no power isues or problems other than a few flat tires and was always within pushing distance of a plce to have it repaired . I also learned quick if you cant carry what you need on a motor bike you really dont need it anyway ..............................

I have both auto and manual bikes and enjoy riding both.

My auto is a little 5 year old yamaha mio which i paid B15,000 for and it hauls my 100Kg+ around no problems and at an indicated 100kph on the highway when I'm feeling brave.

The manual is a 250 ninja and this is mainly used for longer journeys.

I would advise buying new if your not sure what to look for or mechanically minded and also your budget allows it.

There's always stuff for sale on the classifieds on here but you still need to check before buying!

The newer honda wave auto's are a very good buy in my opinion.

As stated previously, get a good helmet .... better still bring a good one with you!!

I would also suggest renting for a short while first and get a feel for the different models before taking the plunge and making your purchase.

If your comfortable with a manual the new CBR 150 or 250 are cheap enough for a new bike.

It is laughable that many motorcycle stores say 'Farang NO can buy motorbike'- as I have owned maybe 8 in the last decade. So my girl and I cannot hold back our laugh to each other every single time we hear this.... same as cars- most thai's have no idea of the buy\sell rules for Farang- as we are rarely their customers. When we are often the Farang is putting in a Thai girls name- IMO a mistake unless it a generous gift. You must accept it is a GIFT and you can never have it back- same as car, house, etc. Yet that another story and sounds like you wish to purchase in your own name. many times I have heard a shop say this is the first time they hear of a farang put in their name.... except in the middle of CMai city of course. But i do not find the best deals in the centre. Often if you go in with a Thai girl then they will try persuade you to put in the Thai name to save hassles.

Work permit or Certificate of Residency needed in the motor office to get the book in your name. Of couse with a Non Immigrant or above Visa typically.... EXCEPT;

Now in saying all that i purchased one on a Tourist Visa several times as I pay the guys 1500-2000bt in the Motor Office for speedy service and no hassles--- 'Tea money'. They always very happy. Manager get 1000bt and Thai mate whom an officer get 500bt + 100 pipers. lol. Always far easier than doing all the paperwork and getting it all together. Plus saves a great deal of time for $50 or so. Worth it IMO. Also pay it when i have current Non Immigrant Visa B that i mostly get--- as it saves time and hassle. As no work permit and cannot be bothered arranging Residency Certificate.

Seem to save on other costs that others need to pay- so the Thai way is far easier in my experience. Last 2 cars and 2 bikes i have performed the Thai way and regret all the hassles with all previous bikes and cars. Others will say it a rip off- yet it more efficient for me thus cost effective and no waiting around forever. Or going back and forth forever getting all the documents required- which often depends on the officer you get. Often all this hassle in past years simply put me off purchasing a big bike or car. Now all is good.

Cheers Jay

Absolute crap. Tea money etc are NOT required. I bought a scooter on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, all I needed was a residency certificate which took about 20 mins from CM immigration. That and my passport and I was able to buy a bike. All the above is not required. Sounds like you paid for something you didn't have to. Wasted your money really.

Niyom Panich near Robinson's Airport Plaza have had lots of satisfied foreigners as customers. They sell Hondas and Vespas.

All you need is a residence certificate, your passport, and of course money to pay for the bike...:D Don't forget to get a decent helmet (it goes on your head, not in the basket in front)...:lol:

The point about the semis over the autos with regard to mountain riding (they are all around in CM) is the former assists when coming down with some decent engine breaking (riders will know) and are thus much more nimble, while the autos are all brakes. Sure, a Click will eat the roads up no bother, but if you want to hit those corners (short of going for a real bike) and/or simply have more control, a Wave is the way to go. Around town, if you know what you're doing and have found the groove, selecting the right gear really is a non-issue and requires zero thought. You also have the ability to operate both brakes if, for some reason, you are without a left arm... though would struggle with indication, blowing horn, and flashing people. :whistling:

Tea money etc are NOT required. I bought a scooter on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, all I needed was a residency certificate which took about 20 mins from CM immigration. That and my passport and I was able to buy a bike. All the above is not required. Sounds like you paid for something you didn't have to. Wasted your money really.

The only restriction on buying is if you don't have the right Visa to get you a Certificate of Residency.

As Amras says, the m/c registration office don't care about anything except CoR (or work permit or Yellow house book)

Sometimes you need a bit of tea money for Immigration for the CoR as they are told not to Issue to people on holiday Visa or Visa on entry.

The poster who said the dealers don't know the rules is entirely correct although sometimes I have heard a Thai lady asking the dealer to tell 'white man' it can only be in her name.

good idea to rent a few bikes. There are anatomical fit issues for people of varying sizes.

Feeling how a bike works under you... If you can carry what you want. How it rev's and shifts etc. It's personal.

I prefer the larger wheels like the wave etc because they deal better with potholes and bad surfaces. Better angle of attack as the wheel goes over something.

Some people might like the smaller wheels and how they feel.

Give a few different bikes a few weeks each of rental to really decide what is best.

I would encourage you to select and wear a helmet that corresponds in quality to the value you place on your brains. This practice is followed even by the many people you will see riding with no helmet or a helmet whose efficacy is close to nil. The decision they make, however, is not necessarily the same as the one you should.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I'd like to thank everybody for the instructive responses. I plan to first shop for apartments in CM and live for a bit before I purchase a bike. I don't think I can afford to buy new so I will most likely be on the look out to meet some ex pats or other teachers who might be able to direct me, and hopefully avoid some bad deals on used bikes. I'd love to buy new if I could, but it may not be in the cards.

Cheers

RC

Hey Guys,

I'd like to thank everybody for the instructive responses. I plan to first shop for apartments in CM and live for a bit before I purchase a bike. I don't think I can afford to buy new so I will most likely be on the look out to meet some ex pats or other teachers who might be able to direct me, and hopefully avoid some bad deals on used bikes. I'd love to buy new if I could, but it may not be in the cards.

Cheers

RC

You want to see some of the 2nd hand prices...not far off new, unless you want an old banger! My pennies worth Honda Wave 125i....lasts forever, holds it value, good all rounder and you can get 4 people on it! smile.gif

If your over 200lbs you may want to consider getting a PCX or CBR 150/250. If your going to be here a long time, you'd probably want something that can go on trips and out of town with power left over.

There is no question that the semi-clutch models are more fuel efficient and better in mountain driving.

However, it appears that you have not yet had at least several months of experience of driving in Thailand. That means that I must add my voice to those urging an automatic transmission on you. They are absolutely reliable and cheap to maintain. No regular hassles as with chains, adjusting and lubricating.

However, the most urgent matter, coinciding with the purchase of an ECE or DOT approved helmet, is to learn Thai driving customs - which are greatly different from the west. Also, there irregularities, as mentioned above.

Only an automatic will allow you to concentrate entirely on driving, braking, avoiding, and staying alive, without wrestling with the gears meanwhile. There is no neutral with the clutchless models, so there's always drag to figure too. You cannot shift into first without a full stop. This is a learning task and is best learned in the West, where driving rules are usually known and observed.

Riding rental bikes in these categories is a prime idea, before buying. Paying several hundreds of baht is the likeliest way of finding your best first bike.

Edit: All those advising you to buy a clutch-free model with which to learn to drive in Thailand, if I may say so, are DEAD wrong.

Edited by CMX

And with reference to living the dream here, I'm currently sat at home living the dream drinking copious amounts of water and dashing to the toilet to release said water into the septic tank through my rectum (twice whilst typing this reply). Living the dream. For sure!

Geeez thanks a bunch for sharing that with us, now I can continue my day trying to shake that nasty visual from my mind.....blink.gif