Renewed Fighting At Thai-Cambodian Border: Military Source

webfact

Thai soldier dies in fresh fighting at Cambodia border

by Suy Se

PHNOM PENH, February 5, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai soldier was killed in clashes with Cambodian troops at the two countries' border early Saturday, bringing the toll to three in the deadliest fighting between the neighbours in almost two years.

Renewed gunfights broke out briefly near a disputed 11th-century temple, officials on both sides said, just hours after earlier skirmishes left a Cambodian soldier and a Thai civilian dead.

"One Thai soldier was killed by shrapnel and four were injured in a clash lasting about 30 minutes early this morning," said Thai army spokesman Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd.

In a statement, the Cambodian government accused Thai troops of "firing mortar rounds into Cambodia's Preah Vihear province".

A Cambodian military commander who did not wish to be named said that one Thai soldier had been captured in the morning skirmishes.

Clashes between the neighbours erupted for the first time in more than a year on Friday as simmering border tensions boiled over.

Six Thai and at least four Cambodian soldiers were also injured in the first bout of fighting, and four Thai troops were captured.

Cambodia has called the fighting an "invasion", while Thailand has branded it an "act of aggression" by its neighbour as both countries accused the other of starting the violence.

"The United States urges both sides to exercise maximum restraint and take all necessary steps to reduce tensions and avoid further conflict," said a a US State Department spokeswoman in response to Friday's clashes.

The Thai foreign ministry issued a statement early Saturday accusing Cambodia of attacking first, calling it a "clear violation" of Thai "territorial integrity".

Thailand claimed Cambodia fired mortars, rocket propelled grenades and artillery shells into Thai territory, and said three thousand civilians living along the border had to be evacuated.

The Cambodian foreign ministry released a similar statement about Friday's clashes, saying "300 Thai troops entered Cambodian territory and attacked Cambodian troops".

"This aggression by Thai armed forces was also followed by the firings of many 130mm and 155mm artillery shells which reached as far as about 20 kilometres (12 miles) inside Cambodian territory," it said.

The area around the temple is claimed by both sides, and Cambodian foreign ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said Phnom Penh planned to complain to the United Nations on Saturday.

Ties between the two countries have been strained since July 2008 by a series of deadly border clashes over land surrounding the temple after it was granted UN World Heritage status.

Thailand and Cambodia have both been talking tough on the border issue, which some observers say serves nationalist goals at home on both sides.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that Preah Vihear itself belonged to Cambodia, although its main entrance lies in Thailand. The exact boundary through the surrounding grounds remains in dispute.

The Thai-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

Another border spat has focused on the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda, which is built in the disputed area. Thailand on Monday demanded that Cambodia remove its flag from the pagoda, which it said was "situated on Thai territory" -- a claim Cambodia vehemently rejects.

Tensions between the two countries have flared in recent weeks in the wake of the arrest of seven Thai nationals for illegal entry into Cambodia in late December.

Five of the group were given suspended sentences and have since returned to Thailand. The other two, high-profile nationalist activist Veera Somkwamkid and his secretary, were sentenced to lengthy jail terms for spying, in a case that has caused outrage among Thailand's influential "Yellow Shirts".

Hundreds of Yellow Shirt protesters have camped out around Government House in Bangkok since last week, demonstrating against its handling of the border dispute, and the group plans a larger rally on Saturday.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-05

100's of different versions of events in the area. Who really knows what is happening. The last report I heard was that Elvis was captured by Cambodian forces whilst running naked between the lines. He is now being deported back to the US on terrorism charges.

100's of different versions of events in the area. Who really knows what is happening. The last report I heard was that Elvis was captured by Cambodian forces whilst running naked between the lines. He is now being deported back to the US on terrorism charges.

Have they captured his spaceship too or is the just a conspiracy theory. :lol:

Have they captured his spaceship too or is the just a conspiracy theory. :lol:

Nothing confirmed on that yet, we will just have to wait for the updates comming out of the area.

"Well, he started it..."

"No, he started it..."

If no-one started it why is it happening?

My mother used to send my sister and I to our bedrooms for 'time out' until we could behave in a civil manner.

Situation would be laughable if not for 2 families having lost a loved one over this 'spat'.

Just grow up kids and stop it!

Edited by andrew55

What ever happened to living in harmony? An old ruin that was certainly inside Thailand and then when Thailand moved back its borders through the centuries, Cambodia ended up with a lot more land including Angkor Wat which was once part of Thailand. In the thousands of yeas of Thai history the borders have always moved and even in the last major spat (1767) after the Burmese wrecked Ayutthaya, King Thaksin 1st (Rama 1 in the Chakri dynasty) - who was army prior to his induction to royalty, sought the help of the Khmer to oust the Burmese 4 years after they sacked Ayutthaya. The payback was more land and the border receded. It would seem that compromise was fine way back but modern day greed and sensibilities have not the same ideals. Perhaps the present Govt and Thai populace should take a lesson from the past. We hope this all gets resolved with logic, compassion and compromise and without further loss of life.

Thai soldier dies in fresh fighting at Cambodia border

by Michelle Fitzpatrick

PHNOM PENH, February 5, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai soldier was killed in clashes with Cambodian troops at the two countries' border early Saturday, bringing the toll to three in the deadliest fighting between the neighbours in almost two years.

Renewed gunfights broke out briefly early in the morning near a disputed 11th-century temple, officials on both sides said, just hours after skirmishes left a Cambodian soldier and a Thai civilian dead.

Cambodia's Foreign Minister Hor Namhong wrote to the United Nations to draw its attention to the "explosive situation at the border".

Blaming the fighting on "flagrant aggression" by Thai troops, he said "Cambodian troops had no option but to retaliate in self-defence", in a letter addressed to UN Security Council president Maria Luiza Ribeiro Viotti.

He did not explicitly call for UN intervention.

Thailand, which was to convene an urgent security meeting on Saturday afternoon to assess the situation, said it was also considering filing a complaint to the UN.

Clashes between the neighbours erupted for the first time in more than a year on Friday as simmering border tensions boiled over. Both countries have accused the other of starting the latest violence.

Ties between the two countries have been strained since July 2008 by a series of deadly border clashes over land surrounding the temple after it was granted UN World Heritage status.

The 4.6-square-kilometre (1.8-square-mile) area around the ancient temple is claimed by both sides.

In April 2009, two Cambodian soldiers and one Thai trooper were killed in a heavy gunbattle on the border as tensions spiked.

Thai Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said the two countries "should concentrate on how to end the conflict, which I believe was triggered by tension on both sides".

The United States urged both sides to exercise "maximum restraint".

Around 10 Thai and eight Cambodian soldiers have been injured so far, and Cambodian military sources claimed a total of five Thai troops had been captured, though Thailand denies this.

The Thai foreign ministry issued a statement accusing Cambodia of shelling a village, while Cambodia said Thai armed forces had fired artillery shells about 20 kilometres (12 miles) inside Cambodian territory.

Cambodia said the fighting had caused "serious" damage to the ancient Preah Vihear temple.

Thailand and Cambodia have been talking tough on the border issue, which some observers say serves nationalist goals at home on both sides.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that Preah Vihear itself belonged to Cambodia, although its main entrance lies in Thailand. The exact boundary through the surrounding grounds remains in dispute.

The Thai-Cambodia border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from decades of war in Cambodia.

Another border spat has focused on the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda, which is built in the disputed area. Thailand on Monday demanded that Cambodia remove its flag from the pagoda, which it said was "situated on Thai territory" -- a claim Cambodia vehemently rejects.

Tensions between the two countries have flared in recent weeks in the wake of the arrest of seven Thai nationals for illegal entry into Cambodia in late December.

Five of the group were given suspended sentences and have since returned to Thailand. The other two, high-profile nationalist activist Veera Somkwamkid and his secretary, were sentenced to lengthy jail terms for spying, in a case that has caused outrage among Thailand's influential "Yellow Shirts".

Thai deputy premier Suthep said the Yellows, who were expected to step up a protest outside Government House in Bangkok on Saturday, had worsened the conflict.

Yellow Shirts are a force to be reckoned with in Thailand's colour-coded politics and have helped to claim the scalps of three governments in under five years, including that of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-05

Army: Clashes with Cambodia Continue

The army reveals 3 more clashes with Cambodian troops have happened this morning. Already, 1 Thai soldier has been killed while 4 have been injured. Locals have been asked not to return home yet.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-05

footer_n.gif

Thai Foreign Ministry Claims Cambodia Fired First

The Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry claimed Cambodian troops fired first so Thailand had the right to retaliate to protect its sovereignty. However, the ministry said Thailand is opened to negotiations to bring about peace at the border.

Cambodia has said it will submit a complaint to the United Nations while the United States is asking both countries to exercise restraint.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Yellows or Reds or Pinks or Blues Real ones :ph34r:

Thai Foreign Ministry Claims Cambodia Fired First

The Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry claimed Cambodian troops fired first so Thailand had the right to retaliate to protect its sovereignty. However, the ministry said Thailand is opened to negotiations to bring about peace at the border.

Cambodia has said it will submit a complaint to the United Nations while the United States is asking both countries to exercise restraint.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

I am visiting Phnom Phen and Siem Riep early March with my son who holds a Thai passport. While I know that I won't have any problem clearing Cambodian Immigrations, I am not so sure if there are visa restrictions to Thai Nationals. Does anybody know whether Thai tourists are allowed to Cambodia? Thank you.

I am visiting Phnom Phen and Siem Riep early March with my son who holds a Thai passport. While I know that I won't have any problem clearing Cambodian Immigrations, I am not so sure if there are visa restrictions to Thai Nationals. Does anybody know whether Thai tourists are allowed to Cambodia? Thank you.

I doubt very much that there would be restrictions. There is too much business between Cambodia and Thailand for them to stop citizens traveling between the two. Particularly over a little border skirmish.

I doubt very much that there would be restrictions. There is too much business between Cambodia and Thailand for them to stop citizens traveling between the two. Particularly over a little border skirmish.

There's no problem so far. When you'll come to visit Cambodia you won't cross the border where the problem can't obviously be solved. You can cross the border near Sisaket, or Surin. There's no problem right now. Trying to keep you up to date. Have a nice trip....:jap:

Cambodia's FM writes to UN Security Council

Cambodia's FM writes to UN Security Council, drawing its attention to explosive situation on border with Thailand, accusing Thailand of starting fighting, but does not explicitly ask for UN intervention

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-02-05

2ND DAY OF FIGHTING

1 troop killed, 4 injured in renewed skirmish

By The Nation

A Thai trooped was killed and four were wounded Saturday as Thai and Cambodian forces clashed for a second day along the Thai-Cambodian disputed border, Army Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnert said.

Sansern said clashed renewed at 6:15 am at the Tammaria Creek and two other spots west of the Preah Vihear temple in Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district.

Sansern said Cambodian troops approached the Thai border and started firing at the Thai side, prompting Thai troops to return fire. He said the Thai troops used rifles and RPG rockets without using artillery.

The spokesman said the crashed ended at 6:40 am.

He said the slain troop was Sgt Wutthicharin Chart Khamdee.

"We will not start firing but if we are fired at, we will retaliate," Sansern said.

He said the governments of the two countries, the defence ministers and Army chiefs of the two countries were in the process of negotiation to prevent more skirmishes.

He added that the 2nd Army region commander, Lieutenant Colonel Tawatchai Samutsakorn, who is in charge of Thai troops in the sensitive border area, rushed to the scene of Friday's clash and was meeting with Cambodian officers to try to prevent further clashes.

Sansern said some 3,120 villagers have been evacuated from Phumsarol village to take a refuge at the Kantharalak district office since Friday.

Artillery exchanges between Thailand and Cambodia On Friday in the disputed area near the Hindu Preah Vihear Temple killed at least six soldiers and civilians on both sides as well as damaged property in one of the worst border flare-ups in a decade.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-05