Internet Deals

richardpwills

Your not going to get high speed off a usb stick. The sticks are only good for checking email and looking at web pages, streaming audio is okay but video forget it. I pay 100 bhat for 30 hours of internet each month but what I discovered recently was that you don't have to wait each month for the next 30 hours. All you have to do is ring up the operator cancel the contract and pay to start a new 30 hours, which cost 1 bhat.

CAT has a CDMA 3G offering, 3.1 mps, at approx. THB 850 per month (this includes 7% VAT). You need to purchase the USB dongle from them. They have a range of products and prices; I believe the cheapest is around THB 7,000. You can find more information at http://www.catteleco...=588&subcat=756 (English language but not much info) or their current CDMA products at http://www.catcdma.c...uct/product.htm (Thai language only).

Firstly, you'll need to find out who has coverage in the area in which you intend to roam.

AIS has 3G in Chiang Mai as has TRUE. Problem is that they are using non standard frequencies, 850MHz and 900MHz respectively.

So you'll need a modem that covers at least one of those frequencies via UMTS.

Your not going to get high speed off a usb stick. The sticks are only good for checking email and looking at web pages, streaming audio is okay but video forget it. I pay 100 bhat for 30 hours of internet each month but what I discovered recently was that you don't have to wait each month for the next 30 hours. All you have to do is ring up the operator cancel the contract and pay to start a new 30 hours, which cost 1 bhat.

I think you were referring to an EDGE/GPRS stick?

CAT has a CDMA 3G offering, 3.1 mps, at approx. THB 850 per month (this includes 7% VAT). You need to purchase the USB dongle from them. They have a range of products and prices; I believe the cheapest is around THB 7,000. You can find more information at http://www.catteleco...=588&subcat=756 (English language but not much info) or their current CDMA products at http://www.catcdma.c...uct/product.htm (Thai language only).

+1. Cat is going to be your best bet. You can get a usb for 3000 baht. The EC150 may be discontinued, but was one of the few that used a SIM card. So theoretically, you could switch out the CAT sim and put in a HUTCH sim as needed. Not sure if that worked in practice; just what the CAT office told me. But more importantly, if you take the modem to another country that supports the same network frequency, you should be able to use it there.

Most of the other USB sticks have the software already flashed to the respective company's hardware. it kind of locks you into that company, which is very prevelant in the U.S.A.

CAT offers a MIFI modem. I recommend that one highly. 5900 + 850/month and you can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.

Jiu is correct also. You would need to determine where you spend the majority of your time. If you insist on having high speed everywhere, you'll have to buy 2 or 3 separate accounts e.g. one hutch account for bangkok/pattaya and CAT cdma for Chang Mai/Southern Thailand phuket chumphon etc. If you travel often, you can do a temporary suspension of your account in one provider and re-activate with another. Then reactivate in another provence. Maybe if its not so often, you may have to do a permanent cancellation of service. But it's no cost to activate again. It would take a little longer for the paperwork. There is no one-stop nationwide coverage for high speed mobile internet. Companies like TOT and 3BB have tried to fill this gap with wifi hotspots. But then I think they limit it to certain provences or hours of use.

Thanks for all the info, Im planning to stay in Chiang Mai. I like the sound of the MIFI as then i can connect my phone to it as The only deal i have looked at was from AIS and that was 4000 for the stick and 950 a month with a limit of 5gb. I like to download and watch a few youtube videos from time to time so it would have to be unlimited or a high gb usage.

well. Where can i get the CAT from? would they sell them in most plazas or would it be a on line job?

Thanks for all the info, Im planning to stay in Chiang Mai. I like the sound of the MIFI as then i can connect my phone to it as The only deal i have looked at was from AIS and that was 4000 for the stick and 950 a month with a limit of 5gb. I like to download and watch a few youtube videos from time to time so it would have to be unlimited or a high gb usage.

well. Where can i get the CAT from? would they sell them in most plazas or would it be a on line job?

My girlfriend said that it is the first one on this list:

http://www.catcdma.com/catshop/north.htm is the one in chang mai. Only one store unfortunately, whereas phuket had at least 3. They may speak english, 9/10 it is better to have a thai person do the asking for directions to their storefront. bring your passport and work permit with you. If no work permit, either a long-stay visa may do the trick or they may insist on having a thai person to do the billing. I would push gently first to have it in your own name. But if that doesn't work, your thai friend is the backup. I still prepay anyway to make sure there are no interruptions.

Bring your laptop with you and do not leave until the internet is working 100%. on the EVDO (high speed).

My girlfriend said that it is the first one on this list:

http://www.catcdma.c...tshop/north.htm is the one in chang mai. Only one store unfortunately, whereas phuket had at least 3. They may speak english, 9/10 it is better to have a thai person do the asking for directions to their storefront. bring your passport and work permit with you. If no work permit, either a long-stay visa may do the trick or they may insist on having a thai person to do the billing. I would push gently first to have it in your own name. But if that doesn't work, your thai friend is the backup. I still prepay anyway to make sure there are no interruptions.

Bring your laptop with you and do not leave until the internet is working 100%. on the EVDO (high speed).

Catcom in Surin sent a technician to my house to ensure the signal would work where I would be using the net the most prior to me purchasing the modem.

I live approx. 15 kms out of the city.

I would suggest you ask them to do this if you are living outside the city. You may get a good signal on your laptop in their office but it may not work or only work at slow speed where you are living. You can buy an aerial from them if you need one.

Hope this helps.

Catcom in Surin sent a technician to my house to ensure the signal would work where I would be using the net the most prior to me purchasing the modem.

I live approx. 15 kms out of the city.

I would suggest you ask them to do this if you are living outside the city. You may get a good signal on your laptop in their office but it may not work or only work at slow speed where you are living. You can buy an aerial from them if you need one.

Hope this helps.

Is this free service that CAT provides to potential customers?

I think you were referring to an EDGE/GPRS stick?

+1. Cat is going to be your best bet. You can get a usb for 3000 baht. The EC150 may be discontinued, but was one of the few that used a SIM card. So theoretically, you could switch out the CAT sim and put in a HUTCH sim as needed. Not sure if that worked in practice; just what the CAT office told me. But more importantly, if you take the modem to another country that supports the same network frequency, you should be able to use it there.

Most of the other USB sticks have the software already flashed to the respective company's hardware. it kind of locks you into that company, which is very prevelant in the U.S.A.

CAT offers a MIFI modem. I recommend that one highly. 5900 + 850/month and you can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.

Jiu is correct also. You would need to determine where you spend the majority of your time. If you insist on having high speed everywhere, you'll have to buy 2 or 3 separate accounts e.g. one hutch account for bangkok/pattaya and CAT cdma for Chang Mai/Southern Thailand phuket chumphon etc. If you travel often, you can do a temporary suspension of your account in one provider and re-activate with another. Then reactivate in another provence. Maybe if its not so often, you may have to do a permanent cancellation of service. But it's no cost to activate again. It would take a little longer for the paperwork. There is no one-stop nationwide coverage for high speed mobile internet. Companies like TOT and 3BB have tried to fill this gap with wifi hotspots. But then I think they limit it to certain provences or hours of use.

A little bit jumbled. Personally I wouldn't go for CAT CDMA if I had the choice. I'm certainly not aware that CDMA uses SIM cards.

If you can receive the AIS 3G or TRUEMOVE 3G signal, stick with that. No contracts and no need to buy almost useless, expensive and incompatible pieces of equipment.

Also you can use the same HSPDA modem to access 3G in Bangkok via TOT 3G. There is no Hutch 3G as such.

A suitable modem will cost under 2000 baht and will be of use all over the world. No need for complicated accounts. You can use the relevant PAYG SIMs.

You don't need to spend 4000 baht on a modem. You can buy your own for half the price. For example: 1289136439_131490065_1-Air-Card-IFOX-3G-910-1---1289136439.jpg for around 1800 baht or less.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

A little bit jumbled. Personally I wouldn't go for CAT CDMA if I had the choice. I'm certainly not aware that CDMA uses SIM cards.

If you can receive the AIS 3G or TRUEMOVE 3G signal, stick with that. No contracts and no need to buy almost useless, expensive and incompatible pieces of equipment.

Also you can use the same HSPDA modem to access 3G in Bangkok via TOT 3G. There is no Hutch 3G as such.

A suitable modem will cost under 2000 baht and will be of use all over the world. No need for complicated accounts. You can use the relevant PAYG SIMs.

Most of their devices the sim information is built in, but a few of the devices have CDMA sim, such as EC150 usb stick. They could use CDMA sim cards the whole time, but the simless models help to lock the people into a particular carrier.

The device isn't useless if it does its intended job, mainly keep you connected to the internet on demand. The CAT usb sticks come with at least Windows XP/7 and Mac drivers on the usb stick. Linux in some cases also. You can get a used device for probably 1/2 the price. Not every store does this, but the one in Patong Beach kept a list of people selling theirs and you had to contact each person directly. When I bought the mifi, I gave mine to a friend as a thank you for inviting me to Thailand. I didn't need 2 accounts.

CAT has NO contracts that lock you into service. You can suspend or cancel at any time and get refunded for unused portion. I would agree with you that the 3G would be a better deal if the infrastructure of the network was readily accessable where you will be. Better in the sense that you can take your modem with you and use it anywhere. You can get less expensive new 3G GSM usb sticks from welcomm/imobile shop or jay mart. Just verify that it has the correct frequency for what you want to do.

I download torrents, view vps, and leave my computer and modem on for days and weeks at a time with virtually no connection issues with CAT. I would have to say at least 200GB+ combined download and upload over the last 6 months or so. I guess it just boils down to the requirements of the OP.

Edited by 4evermaat

I was interested in the MIFI by CAT. I went and purchased it for 5900 baht and the unlimited internet for 790 a month.

When i got home i was shocked to see that the internet speed was 16kbs when it is supposed to be 3.1mbs. It was also getting very hot so i mad another journey to CAT

and after explaining the problem they gave me a new MIFI 2200. I have just set this one up and it is exactly the same. 16kbs download speed. (using www.speedtest.com) and the MIFI card is so hot it feels like its going to melt.

I attempted to call the call center but i could not get my contract number over to them as every number i said they did not understand an then eventually my credit went.

I will be going back to CAT tomorrow for a refund or for them to prove to me that you can get close to 3.1 download speed.

I don't it is a coincidence that both get red hot.

Does anyone know of a similar problem with it? are these teething problems which take time? Or is it a load of crap altogether???

Im in the city center on a top floor of a apartment block. the signal is very good but the internet is very ****

Most of their devices the sim information is built in, but a few of the devices have CDMA sim, such as EC150 usb stick. They could use CDMA sim cards the whole time, but the simless models help to lock the people into a particular carrier.

The device isn't useless if it does its intended job, mainly keep you connected to the internet on demand. The CAT usb sticks come with at least Windows XP/7 and Mac drivers on the usb stick. Linux in some cases also. You can get a used device for probably 1/2 the price. Not every store does this, but the one in Patong Beach kept a list of people selling theirs and you had to contact each person directly. When I bought the mifi, I gave mine to a friend as a thank you for inviting me to Thailand. I didn't need 2 accounts.

CAT has NO contracts that lock you into service. You can suspend or cancel at any time and get refunded for unused portion. I would agree with you that the 3G would be a better deal if the infrastructure of the network was readily accessable where you will be. Better in the sense that you can take your modem with you and use it anywhere. You can get less expensive new 3G GSM usb sticks from welcomm/imobile shop or jay mart. Just verify that it has the correct frequency for what you want to do.

I download torrents, view vps, and leave my computer and modem on for days and weeks at a time with virtually no connection issues with CAT. I would have to say at least 200GB+ combined download and upload over the last 6 months or so. I guess it just boils down to the requirements of the OP.

That's a definite plus point.