Screwed Up My O-A Ret Visa

I had to depart LOS to handle a family emergency in the states in August 2010. In my haste to renew my "O-A Ret Visa" before I left, which by the way was approved until Sept 19, 2011, I did not get my re-entry permit renewed. My fault! I thought I did pay for but it wasn't stamped in my passport. Saw that the current one was good until Sept 19, 2010 and just didn't give it any more thought. Could have sworn I paid for it when I got my new extension but it's not in my passport. So when I return Feb 3, 2011, I got stamped only a 30 day Visa. Surprised me!

The question is: What is my best course of action in fixing this problem?

I gave up the house I rented in Phuket not knowing when I was to return and was just getting ready to lease a place here in Bangkok upon return when I realized the stupidity of my mistake. So basically I don't have a base of operations anymore other than a hotel room. Funds can become a problem soon so I can't drag this out very long.

Another question: If I go to a neighboring country with a Thai Embassy and get a Non Immigrant for the purpose of retirement as has been previously discussed else where, how long does the process take? Does the fact that my Visa had already been approved help? What paper work do I need if this plan is possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to visit a Thai Consulate and get a single entry Non Imm O Visa.

You can then visit Thai Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement. 800,000 Baht in the bank. OR 65,000 Baht monthly income. OR a combination of the two.

You probably know the procedure.

If you can meet the financial requirements for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement now, immediately go to immigration and apply for a change of status to a non-immigrant "O" visa and retirement extension of stay. Immigration can convert/change your 30 day visa exempt entry into a 90 day non-immigrant visa and thereafter a retirement extension of stay, if you qualify.

You need to visit a Thai Consulate and get a single entry Non Imm O Visa.

You can then visit Thai Immigration and apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement. 800,000 Baht in the bank. OR 65,000 Baht monthly income. OR a combination of the two.

You probably know the procedure.

Thanks. Yep, been here over 4 years so yes I know that procedure. I just screwed up one minor detail! Do you or anyone else know which Thai Consulate would be the best to go to?

If you can meet the financial requirements for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement now, immediately go to immigration and apply for a change of status to a non-immigrant "O" visa and retirement extension of stay. Immigration can convert/change your 30 day visa exempt entry into a 90 day non-immigrant visa and thereafter a retirement extension of stay, if you qualify.

Yep. An option if you nip down to Immigration pretty quick.

It used to be with 21 days left on your permision to stay but there seems to be a loosening of the rules.

Did not notice your entry date. Must be getting late. :(

Yep. An option if you nip down to Immigration pretty quick.

It used to be with 21 days left on your permision to stay but there seems to be a loosening of the rules.

Did not notice your entry date. Must be getting late. :(

Got it! Got it! Duh...It's late and this thing just really screwed me up more. Been a really bad trip altogether. Re-read what was said and I must have been sleeping!

Thanks. Yep, been here over 4 years so yes I know that procedure. I just screwed up one minor detail! Do you or anyone else know which Thai Consulate would be the best to go to?

Re-entry permits are not minor details, they are of major importance. This cannot be stressed enough. Perhaps you should get a multiple re-entry permit for your next visa to save you any problems next time you need to leave in a hurry.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: :D

I said once got it resolved I would post a follow up report. Some of the information was posted recently in another post but here it is:

Recapping: Forgot to obtain a re-entry upon departure last year. Meant to but forgot. My bad...

Arrived Feb 3, 2011 issued a "30 day Tourist VISA".

Went to Immigration Chaengwattana on Feb 8th in a panic. Explained my "panic" issue and was surprised to learn how common this actually is and routine it is. No need to panic if it happens to you. There is a simple solution and procedure they follow provided you have the supporting documents they need. What is needed is a TM 86 (request to change a visa), 2,000 baht fee, Embassy Letter of Income, 2 photo's (4X6), Passport, and copies of the passport pages main data, last VISA/entry stamp, and Entry card. Also you have up to 15 days from the time of entry to report to Immigration. After which you need to leave and re-enter LOS according to the Officer I spoke to and start the process over. This is because they have you return up to 15 days later. They tell you your return date when you file.

Your dates will start on the date you submit the paperwork. My dates are based on my reporting time of the Feb 9th. I actually had until the 18th to report but I decided not to chance it. So off to the Embassy, got the letter and back to Immigration on Feb 9th with all the documents and fee they requested (as stated above).

Did not take a very long time once there. After a short wait met with a very friendly and helpful female Officer. Took my passport, TM-86, photo, fee, and Embassy Letter. She did ask if I showed the Embassy proof of Income and what, I said yes, SS Statement, did I have it, I said no, and she said she believed me. Gave me passport back and receipt. Said come back the 23rd with receipt (don't loose it). Done.

Feb the 23rd: I returned to Chaengwattana and met same Officer. Handed my passport and receipt to her, passed it to another Officer which was promptly stamped 90 Day Non-O, expiring on May 9th. I then specifically asked her what did I need next time I came in to change to an 1 year Retirement Non-O.

Fee 1,900 Baht

Passport

TM-7 with photo attached

Letter from Embassy affirming monthly salary

Bank letter showing current funds

Copies of Passport of all pages including attachments (I stapled and had every page signed or Initialed)

I was told to return 60 days or 30 days "before" it expires on May 9th. Wrote this all down so I wouldn't forget.

I recently returned the other day Apr 8th with all the documents listed above and received my 1 year Non-O Retirement Stamp. All good until May 2012. ( Not to be redundant, part of this report was posted in a reply elsewhere)

So I hope this helps clarify how easy the process is. As long as you have the documentation and supporting documents there should not be a problem.:D

Edited by Mrjlh

Are you sure that a TM.86 was used? A 30 day entry is visa exempt and (not a tourist visa) and that should require a TM.87 to obtain a visa entry from my understanding. The TM.86 would be used if arrival was on a real tourist visa (not visa exempt).

The 15 days would be before expiration of permitted to stay stamp so if you had a normal tourist visa entry of 60 days you could wait up to 45 days before making the application. Gets much tighter with a visa exempt entry.

Thanks for the report - it is not the end of the world but it does pay to have a re-entry permit just in case as insurance for most people.

Are you sure that a TM.86 was used? A 30 day entry is visa exempt and (not a tourist visa) and that should require a TM.87 to obtain a visa entry from my understanding. The TM.86 would be used if arrival was on a real tourist visa (not visa exempt).

The 15 days would be before expiration of permitted to stay stamp so if you had a normal tourist visa entry of 60 days you could wait up to 45 days before making the application. Gets much tighter with a visa exempt entry.

Thanks for the report - it is not the end of the world but it does pay to have a re-entry permit just in case as insurance for most people.

Yes it was the TM-86. I filled out both and that's the one he took. In fact if you look at the forms the 86 says to "application for change". 87 says "application for VISA" I changed a Tourist Visa to a 90 day Non-O.

I'll scan the stamp when I came in and post it. Visa/Type is written in Thai, maybe you interpret.

post-26396-0-77852800-1302335566_thumb.j

Edited by Mrjlh

They write in English and that appears to be is a visa exempt 30 day entry. It is not a tourist visa which would be for 60 days for an American (you say States so believe that is your nationality) and they would normally have TR or Tourist written. For visa exempt is is often a squiggle like shown above.

So, to see if I understand the O/P's posts I’ll re-cap it for my own benefit. :whistling:

The O/P neglected to get a re-entry permit when he flew out, and his yearly extension of stay was canceled by that oversight.

He returned to Thailand and was given a 30 day "visa-exempt" stamp at Suvarnabhumi.

He then went to Changwattana applied for and received a single entry Non-O 90 day visa.

When visa was down to about a month left, he went back out to Changwattana and got a yearly extension of stay based on retirement.

His ONLY proof of meeting the financial requirements was the US Embassy letter.

Is that close to what other people got from reading these posts? :)

FWIW: I hope when the O/P was at Changwattana getting his "yearly extension of stay", also purchased at least single re-entry permit for 1000baht. Those things are worth their weight in gold when you need to leave on an emergency.

I do see reports now that Suvarnabhumi will sell re-entry permits from 6AM until midnite for people needing one before they fly out.

Good report, (especially so if I got the re-cap right!) :D

While off-topic: This would somewhat lend credence to my assertions that NOT every American is being compelled TO SUPPLY additional proof of income. (Another thread on here)

The O/P was asked by the Immigrations officer if he had additional proof but replied he did not and he was still approved!

So, to see if I understand the O/P's posts I'll re-cap it for my own benefit. :whistling:

The O/P neglected to get a re-entry permit when he flew out, and his yearly extension of stay was canceled by that oversight.

He returned to Thailand and was given a 30 day "visa-exempt" stamp at Suvarnabhumi.

He then went to Changwattana applied for and received a single entry Non-O 90 day visa.

When visa was down to about a month left, he went back out to Changwattana and got a yearly extension of stay based on retirement.

His ONLY proof of meeting the financial requirements was the US Embassy letter.

Is that close to what other people got from reading these posts? :)

FWIW: I hope when the O/P was at Changwattana getting his "yearly extension of stay", also purchased at least single re-entry permit for 1000baht. Those things are worth their weight in gold when you need to leave on an emergency.

I do see reports now that Suvarnabhumi will sell re-entry permits from 6AM until midnite for people needing one before they fly out.

Good report, (especially so if I got the re-cap right!) :D

While off-topic: This would somewhat lend credence to my assertions that NOT every American is being compelled TO SUPPLY additional proof of income. (Another thread on here)

The O/P was asked by the Immigrations officer if he had additional proof but replied he did not and he was still approved!

You got it all correct except one item:

Fee 1,900 Baht

Passport

TM-7 with photo attached

Letter from Embassy affirming monthly salary

Bank letter showing current funds

Copies of Passport of all pages including attachments (I stapled and had every page signed or Initialed)

And yes I got a re-entry!

I changed a Tourist Visa to a 90 day Non-O.

Entry stamp says "W30," which is a 'visa exempt' entry. Now, if you failed to put your Tourist Visa number on your entry card, that might explain why they stamped you in as a W30...

(and, if next time you re-enter Thailand, don't forget to enter your "re-entry permit" number where they ask for visa number -- or you might get another "W30" entry....).

So when I return Feb 3, 2011, I got stamped only a 30 day Visa. Surprised me!

Sounds, tho', that you actually didn't get a Tourist Visa -- otherwise, why would you have been surprised on Feb 3?

She did ask if I showed the Embassy proof of Income and what, I said yes, SS Statement

And the Embassy said or did what when you handed them your SS statement?

Edited by JimGant