Is This A Good Time To Retire To Thailand

newbepat

But you didn't say where you were from so this may not apply to you? Do you live in a rich or poor European country?

of course he revealed where he is from. there's only one country in Europe which adopted the €UR and where pensions and house rents are in an archaic and anachronistic manner paid "weekly" and that is... Ireland.

B)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But you didn't say where you were from so this may not apply to you? Do you live in a rich or poor European country?

of course he revealed where he is from. there's only one country in Europe which adopted the €UR and where pensions and house rents are in an archaic and anachronistic manner paid "weekly" and that is... Ireland.

B)

He didn't say that his pension was paid weekly; he just quoted a weekly amount. The UK government also quotes weekly amounts for pensions, although I have no idea whether it is paid weekly or monthly. But if you asked me how much government pension I was due to get in the Uk I would quote teh weekly figure because that is what I have read about. I wouldn't bother converting it to a monthly figure. If you ask people how much they earn they will say something like £30k a year. That doesn't mean they get paid once a year.

To get back to the original question.

I'm hoping to make the move in 6 years. If I had the funds you have, I'd do it now.

The best piece I've ever heard is that from the second you step off of the plane, you're an expat, not a tourist. Bus from the airport, not limo, no top-end hotels, and don't get into "tourist mode" at all - you can blow money that should see you through months of retirement in mere days if you're not careful. As you've finished work for good, what you have then is as much as you'll have, ever, once spent you can never replace it.

To get back to the original question.

I'm hoping to make the move in 6 years. If I had the funds you have, I'd do it now.

The best piece I've ever heard is that from the second you step off of the plane, you're an expat, not a tourist. Bus from the airport, not limo, no top-end hotels, and don't get into "tourist mode" at all - you can blow money that should see you through months of retirement in mere days if you're not careful. As you've finished work for good, what you have then is as much as you'll have, ever, once spent you can never replace it.

No disrespect but that's not very good advice. If you're starting a new life in a new country there is nothing wrong with being a tourist for a few weeks. And if when on holiday you usually spend in a few days what you would normally spend in a few months then you are doing things wrong. Being on holiday isn't an excuse to get limos, top-end hotels and blow a few months money in a few days. Doesn't sound like a holiday to me. Sounds like someone out of control. And why do you have to finish work for good? If that's what you want, then fine, but there are lots of ways to make money, even part-time, and it also keeps you active. What you describe sounds like a nightmare - do everything on the cheap and don't expect any more money. That is no way to live.

I can't speak for others, and veryone's situation is different, but I retired to Thailand 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 52.... After investing about 1.5 millon baht on land and a modest but comfortable 3bedroom, 2 bath house, 650,000 on a new truck and possibly another possibly 150,000 on various items, I live very comfortably on about 40,000 to 50,000 baht per month...

I live in a smaller city in Isaan rather than subjecting myself to "Village Life", enjoy eating out (Farang / Western Food) several times a week, travel to various areas of Thailand as a tourist maybe 6 to 7 times a year, and generally enjoy a very nice, comfortable and relaxed life and lifestyle...

It's not hard to do the math, and with what you say that you have available in cash, and in possible pension income, I think that you will find that you have more than enough to be comfortable living such a life for many years beyond your life expectancy...

Only advice that I would offer is be very conservative about your spending, do not loan / lend money to anyone and do not try to start / setup any business to try and recapture lost incomes... I have seen far too many Farang's build Huge / Fancy houses out in the villages then find that "Village Life" is way too boring and walk away from those houses... I have seen many Farang's buy way more land / farms at wife / GF's insistance then realise that it was a waste of money... Likewise many try various business ventures to try and increase their wealth or replace lost money, only to end up adding to the lost wealth... It is very easy to feel "Rich" when living in Isaan with Western levels of wealth, just don't act like you are "Rich" and you should be fine...

Pianoman

very good advice

The best piece I've ever heard is that from the second you step off of the plane, you're an expat, not a tourist. Bus from the airport, not limo, no top-end hotels, and don't get into "tourist mode" at all

If you have such little funds, you better don't retire here.

First things first; sort out your divorce. She can certainly divorce you anyway even if you don't want to (especially if you left the country!) - and would you want Interpol/police/embassy messing up your nice retirement? :)

You make it sound like you can just leave, and they will never find you/collect from you - that is naive at best - criminal too probably. Pay the Euro 250k I presume/you indicate you owe her and sort out the divorce. Next is the taxes; same thing applies!

Yeah, Now you might be left with say Euro 200k or so - quite a different number, but at least you are not in jail :)

With Euro 200k invested in a well diversified portfolio - preferably somewhere with lower/no taxes (gold, high yield bonds, dividend paying stocks, AUD/EUR cash term/time deposits and other things mentioned here can ALL be part of that) you have a good foundation for moving to Thailand for an initial "test run". If market takes a dip, you will still get income from it - but those can often also drop when the general stock market drops - (dividends cut, high yield bonds defaulting Etc.). A rule of thumb (based on history only!) is that one can take out about 5% (some say 4%) a year without the initial nest egg/capital being reduced (in the long run). Thats about Euro 10.000/year.

I know people that came here with much smaller nest egg, and some with much more - no clear pattern as to whom was broke after a few years, and whom was getting richer - but leaving luck out of the equation; it most often was the ones that understood how to be flexible with their spending - reducing it when markets dip - and understood how to build a well diversified, both in asset classes, currencies and geographically, low cost portfolio.

You have Euro 800-900/mth coming too in a couple of years, and that combined with above should work out just fine for a moderate lifestyle. The 2-3 years in between you might spend a little down on your nest egg, but based on your posts, it sounds like you do not plan for an expensive lifestyle - so a little draw down will be made up for when pension kick in.

As for what you need monthly, nobody can really tell before they try for a bit longer than the typical tourist. You have been in Thailand before so presume you have a better idea than the average tourist about what you need? (forget the house buying/building and car purchases initially! Rent!).

Hope helps, Cheers!

And, that ICICI has a daughter in Singapore doesn't mean anything; too many examples of banks falling over with branches all over the world; Icesave is a nice example.

If ICICI falls over, which door do you knock to get your money back ?; I'm most interested....Singapore, Mumbai, ? you tell me.

LaoPo

Based on which facts do you assume ICICI falls over or is in danger to do so?

Still waiting for your answer which bigger bank in Singapore gives comparable rates in AUD?

If he has his money in EUR or USD instead of AUD, you certainly know the fall of exchange rates to THB during the last 12 months or so? Every currency bears some risks, but also chances.

It is easy to nag about everything, but that doesn't help the OP.

ICICI pays higher rates on savings than many of the other banks in Singapore. This naturally reflects the higher risks of putting your money there. Examples of factors: BBB- credit rating which is just about investment grade and is below many others there. Only got its full banking licence last year. Singapore was one of (if not its actual) first overseas location, so newer on the global stage. It's smaller deposit base and liquidity pose a higher risk than Parent country is not the easiest to wade thru in terms of bureaucracy if something did go wrong. Feel free to also wade thru its company accounts for a better feel of risk, as well as research papers by seucrities houses, etc.

As an idea it has a risk of default which is ball park around 10 times that of a AA rated bank. They're only probabilities when all is said and done, but worth thinking about is a little higher rate worth higher risk of losing your capital. For some yes for others no. FWIW and to give a rough idea, the probability of default is probably under 0.5% per credit rating agencies (check their figures for more accurate estimates)

You make it sound like you can just leave, and they will never find you/collect from you - that is naive at best - criminal too probably. Pay the Euro 250k I presume/you indicate you owe her and sort out the divorce.

Very bad idea.

Save your money from a greedy ex wife, it is not so difficult, but you may need some legal advice. Bring your assets abroad and contact men's rights groups.

And, that ICICI has a daughter in Singapore doesn't mean anything; too many examples of banks falling over with branches all over the world; Icesave is a nice example.

If ICICI falls over, which door do you knock to get your money back ?; I'm most interested....Singapore, Mumbai, ? you tell me.

LaoPo

Based on which facts do you assume ICICI falls over or is in danger to do so?

Still waiting for your answer which bigger bank in Singapore gives comparable rates in AUD?

If he has his money in EUR or USD instead of AUD, you certainly know the fall of exchange rates to THB during the last 12 months or so? Every currency bears some risks, but also chances.

It is easy to nag about everything, but that doesn't help the OP.

ICICI pays higher rates on savings than many of the other banks in Singapore. This naturally reflects the higher risks of putting your money there. Examples of factors: BBB- credit rating which is just about investment grade and is below many others there. Only got its full banking licence last year. Singapore was one of (if not its actual) first overseas location, so newer on the global stage. It's smaller deposit base and liquidity pose a higher risk than Parent country is not the easiest to wade thru in terms of bureaucracy if something did go wrong. Feel free to also wade thru its company accounts for a better feel of risk, as well as research papers by seucrities houses, etc.

As an idea it has a risk of default which is ball park around 10 times that of a AA rated bank. They're only probabilities when all is said and done, but worth thinking about is a little higher rate worth higher risk of losing your capital. For some yes for others no. FWIW and to give a rough idea, the probability of default is probably under 0.5% per credit rating agencies (check their figures for more accurate estimates)

ICICI Singapore requires Singapore residence to open an account. So un less Pat has residece in Singapore it's a moot poit.

Without your pension you could spend 200,000 to 300,000 setting yourself up with house car etc (you could do it for a lot less). The remaining say 200,000 if you live to 100 gives you 5,000 per month. Unless you like extreme luxury you won't run out of money without making any allowance for interest etc.

Gary are we talking Baht or euro now.

Glad you made that point -- I was going to until I saw you already have --

If you have legal problems in the UK (especially of the marital/child support type) but a fair bit of cash.

What you do is this

Bop over to Ecuador and buy yourself citizenship, about $25,000 invested locally (a house will do)

Then the UK can't touch you (the worst they can do is cancel your passport but by then you will also have an Ecuador passport )

Owing money in the UK is a civil problem, police and Interpol just aren't interested.

But the family kangaroo court can cancel your UK passport.

You can rent a decent house in Thailand for 5,000bt a month, furnish it for 30,000bht.

Double that if you want a luxury house and teak furniture.

Only fools try to buy houses here (ducks head while many fools speak out)

Edited by pjclark1

If you have legal problems in the UK (especially of the marital/child support type) but a fair bit of cash.

What you do is this

Bop over to Ecuador and buy yourself citizenship, about $25,000 invested locally (a house will do)

Then the UK can't touch you (the worst they can do is cancel your passport but by then you will also have an Ecuador passport )

Owing money in the UK is a civil problem, police and Interpol just aren't interested.

But the family kangaroo court can cancel your UK passport.

You can rent a decent house in Thailand for 5,000bt a month, furnish it for 30,000bht.

Double that if you want a luxury house and teak furniture.

Only fools try to buy houses here (ducks head while many fools speak out)

If you owe anyone money you should pay it. It's not morally right to rip people off. What goes around comes around. Take this advice and you will be running away all your life. The best solution is to sort all your problems out and then move.

His wife may actually be entitled to some money. We don't know the whole story. If she contribyted to his wealth then surely she deserves a cut.

But I have a feeling there's a lot more to this story than we are being told. The OP won't tell us where he's from and he wants to run away from the taxman and his wife. Something's not quite right.

Ok,

I want to chime in. I retired at the age of 31.

As far as finance goes, internet banking is a must. My pension goes directly into my bank accounts in the US.

Unless you have a disability pension or something which job allows you to retire at 31?

Military

Military on medical discharge (normally down to injury's sustained (leg blown off, arm crippled etc)

Or maybe a half-pension (after 12 years of service)

ICICI Singapore requires Singapore residence to open an account. So un less Pat has residece in Singapore it's a moot poit.

No, according to their website you can open an account as a non-resident.

Identity/Address proof documents

a) Proof of Identity:

. Singapore Citizens / Permanent Residents - Copy of pink / blue NRIC card

. Singapore Residents (Other than Permanent Residents) - Copy of documents issued by the relevant Government Agencies/ Ministries in Singapore (eg: Employment Pass) and Passport

. Singapore Non Residents - Copy of Passport

b ) Proof of Residential Address - E.g. latest copy of utility bills, bank statements etc - issued within last 3 months

Please carry the originals of the above mentioned documents with you so that our staff may verify the same.

Run from debt to wife/tax authorities!? Mens rights groups!? Buying house in Ecuador!? :) Losing EU passport for an Ecuadorian passport(takes 2 years btw!)!? :)

The advise here just gets better and better!

Laughed out loud! - now gotta get rid of the coffee spill, darn it!

Cheers!

PS. btw, where will the 800-900 Euro/month pension be paid from u think...am guessing Ireland - I.e. changing passport/running from debt means consider it GONE.

PPS. still giggling here....

Well, the most hilarious advice came actually from you: The idea that the OP should hand over half of his life savings to his ex wife.

If have read a lot of retirement recommendations, but that one tops it all :D

Well, the most hilarious advice came actually from you: The idea that the OP should hand over half of his life savings to his ex wife.

If have read a lot of retirement recommendations, but that one tops it all :D

Yes, its hilarious - unless we know the facts.

My ex husband and I were married for 28 years before we retired to Thailand,and both worked earning similar amounts.

I was far more financially savvy, so my ex had no chance to hide money. If he had been able to do so, are you saying he should have been able to get away with it? Even though his wife was not doing the same?

Greensnapper; F1fanatic said exactly what I mean. :)

That the OP is a bit emotional about an ex-wife is perfectly understandable - but if the wife has unfair demands that should be up to the divorce court to decide, and not be a free ticket to run away; with all the consequences that entail. Another poster also mentioned the moral responsibility. Further he would naturally lose the lifetime pension if paid from his home country.

My advise stands; sort out your divorce/tax situation at home - then consider the rest I wrote. My advise is worth exactly what the OP paid for it!

Anyway; I got the stain out of my shirt. :)

Now - back to looking for those Mens rights groups!

Cheers!

Greensnapper; F1fanatic said exactly what I mean. :)

That the OP is a bit emotional about an ex-wife is perfectly understandable - but if the wife has unfair demands that should be up to the divorce court to decide, and not be a free ticket to run away; with all the consequences that entail. Another poster also mentioned the moral responsibility. Further he would naturally lose the lifetime pension if paid from his home country.

My advise stands; sort out your divorce/tax situation at home - then consider the rest I wrote. My advise is worth exactly what the OP paid for it!

Anyway; I got the stain out of my shirt. :)

Now - back to looking for those Mens rights groups!

Cheers!

This is what the OP wrote: "I am separated, for about 25 years, can't get divorce as she wants half........."

He seperated when he was 38 (he's now 63) and a wife who does not want to seperate for 25 years because she only wants half is unrealistic.

How much of the assets was made during his -married- period, and how much was made since the marriage ended, from 38 to 63 ?

It's not so easy, and that's why I advised him to go to an independent International Accounts Firm; they are the ones with experience and should advise him, not people on a forum who do not know all the details but now talking about divoce courts.

LaoPo

Laopo; fully agree! Seek proper advise - but to figure out how he best LEGALLY can protect himself and solve his divorce and tax situation - not to run away. :)

OP did not stipulate WHY they did not divorce (not just separate) all those years.... if she wanted half THEN, and he did not want to give it away, and it has now grown, I guess its his own fault?

Anyway; we are just guessing and speculating here - OP can comment (if he wants).

Cheers!

do a runner pat , el rapido , ftom the uk ,never to return .

get the one year visa sorted

before the tax man ,, and your ex misses solicitor noble you , big tim :realangry: e .

you have more than enough dosh ,

swift it over to your ,,, not the thai darlings thai bank account .

tell her fk all

ps. my advice isnt free .

you can buy me a beer or four in udon .

:jap: LOL

Tax issues shall be solved - I agree on that.

But about divorce issues - as a man coming from gender racist countries, you have no chance at all. Very naive comments above, just google about "divorce industry" and you will see what I mean.

But SE Asia is a good place for those who may otherwise lose everything. Better pay your new woman some modest Sin Sod, than your old greedy one your life savings.

Divorce courts tend to award almost everything to the woman,in the western world, no fairness, men are usually victims.

Mens rights groups are a sick joke, they are as pussy whipped as anyone, "you must work within the law, etc., etc."

Where women are free to break any court orders they like with no penalties and falsely accuse men of anything and get away with it.

The US law in most states now says

Better to arrest and imprison 100 innocent men than to let one man guilty of a crime against a woman go free.

A drunk woman cannot give informed consent to sex, therefore any man having sex with a drunk woman has raped her.

The US law wants

A woman can change her mind about consenting to sex at any time after or until the statuate of limitations expires, aka retrospective rape.

In the US

Many women routinely accuse their estranged husbands of sexually molesting their own children in order to get sole custody and a better divorce payout (same in the UK), family courts (not requiring any evidence) routinely believe them.

@Firefan

Ireland is Catholic, no divorce from a Catholic (until very recently)

Edited by pjclark1

Divorce courts tend to award almost everything to the woman,in the western world, no fairness, men are usually victims.

This is a correct description, pjclark1.

But it is not only the US, basically the same applies all over the Western world. Europe is not much different.

For retirement, solving a divorce in your favor is much more important than "which bank gives me the highest interest rate" or "how can I avoid 150 Baht ATM fees".

Strange enough, and the discussion above shows it well, many people are completely clueless when it comes to Western family laws and family courts. Young men still get married in the West - even if this is the most stupid contract one can actually sign.

Most important is to save your assets from confiscation. Sell all your property and immediately transfer the funds to a save place. Banks in Singapore, Hongkong, Dubai... for example.

Second, get legal advice how to proceed. There are options depending on which country you are from. You are not the first one who successfully escaped to Asia.

Strange enough, and the discussion above shows it well, many people are completely clueless when it comes to Western family laws and family courts. Young men still get married in the West - even if this is the most stupid contract one can actually sign.

In the UK, proceedings in family courts are almost totally secret, as are the rules governing them.

I didn't find out what happens in a UK divorce until I was over 50, and then it was too late..

Then there is the self righteous indignation of those men who haven't been through it

"He must have brought it on himself"

"We didn't hear the woman's side of the story"

"You should always pay for the children you have fathered"

"No woman can deny you access to your children"

Are posts you often see from men in nearly all forums (not just TV), men as a whole are just unwilling to believe that it can happen to them and so go into denial.

Although I don't think it is marriage that is the problem, it is having sex with any woman who has the right to reside in the western world (and therefore has easy access to the western legal system) that leaves a man totally vulnerable.

We were all forced to live in a society where women have no legal liabilities or financial responsibilities for any choices they make, men pay (or the state)

"It's my body, and my choice to have a baby or not"

"It's my child, and I will choose when and if you ever see it"

"You fathered the child, you must provide a house for it to live in and financial support for it (oh and for me as well, because I have no intention of working for the next 19 years)"

"I have given up my career to have your children, so you must pay me forever"

Edited by pjclark1

In the UK, proceedings in family courts are almost totally secret, as are the rules governing them.

I didn't find out what happens in a UK divorce until I was over 50, and then it was too late..

Then there is the self righteous indignation of those men who haven't been through it

"He must have brought it on himself"

"We didn't hear the woman's side of the story"

"You should always pay for the children you have fathered"

"No woman can deny you access to your children"

Are posts you often see from men in nearly all forums (not just TV), men as a whole are just unwilling to believe that it can happen to them and so go into denial.

Although I don't think it is marriage that is the problem, it is having sex with any woman who has the right to reside in the western world (and therefore has easy access to the western legal system) that leaves a man totally vulnerable.

We were all forced to live in a society where women have no legal liabilities or financial responsibilities for any choices they make, men pay (or the state)

"It's my body, and my choice to have a baby or not"

"It's my child, and I will choose when and if you ever see it"

"You fathered the child, you must provide a house for it to live in and financial support for it (oh and for me as well, because I have no intention of working for the next 19 years)"

"I have given up my career to have your children, so you must pay me forever"

What utter rubbish.

Divorce law (in the Western world) assures a maximum of 50% to the ex-wife, depending on how long they've been married, the age of their children (who may be entitled to some of the assets) etc. etc.

If there are children involved the law stipulates that the ex-husband should contribute towards their upkeep until they are adults. How much the ex-husband contributes depends on the wife's income and circumstances.

Personally, I can't see anything wrong with this, but understand why men who agreed for the wife to give up work (rare, apart from the v wealthy) or work part-time, so that she could devote more time to the family (whilst the husband concentrated on his career), get angry when they realise that the wife is still entitled to 50% even though she has brought less actual income into the family.

To make them even more angry, not only do they lose half the assets, but they are also expected to contribute towards their childrens' living costs :rolleyes:.

And yes, you SHOULD always pay for the children you have fathered.

If the Western wife stopped working to look after their children (mutual choice), I admit that I have no idea how future support from the ex-husband works, but I suspect that if the children are old enough to be left on their own, the support would be reduced by the amount the ex-wife could be expected to earn - even though it would be in a god-awful job as she had given up her career when they had children.

Another 'annoyance' for divorced men is when they re-marry, but are still expected to pay for their first family. Shock, horror - how dare they not be allowed to just drop their first lot of kids and spend their income on their new wife and kids??!

Edited by F1fanatic

B)

euro , southern ireland 2bsure .

irish folk , are deeper than the irish sea.

:jap:

500,000 Euro is about 20,000,000 THB. Lets say you live for 20 years. That's 1,000,000 a year or 83,000 a month.
'

these kind of milkmaid calculations drive me nucking futs! :bah: is anybody who has 500k €UR stupid² enough not to invest that money in order to have an income of at least 100,000 Baht a month without touching a single penny of the capital? :o

The best i can get is 3.5% and my goverment takes 27% of the interest, if you invest anymore than 100k into any one bank you could lose as they will only guaranteed. €100k

so now i have 5 bank accounts, i am not really interested in stocks and shares look what can happen with them. remember I am 63

For the guy who said i could get 6.5% in any Australian Bank. sure i can't open a bank account in Australian if i don't live there. tell me if i'm right/wrong? Milkmaid calculations?

I must be a cow or what?

Pat

Hi Pat,

I am retired at 53 here in LOS. Have been for along time.

Your 500,000- Euros (20 million baht) and your pension are plenty to live on in Thailand.

And there is nothing to stop you opening a bank account with one of the many international banks located in Singapore which is avery low tax jurisdiction. With that amount of money you would be a Private banking client and they will look after you. These banks have multi currency depositabilities - so yes right now you could be earning 6.5% on Aussie dollars. They are full servcie and transfers to your Thai bank account would not be a problem. I am, in fact a lot more than that in interest.

I do agree withthe other sensible posters that when you move to Thailand you need to be careful and not splash out with capital. You can build avery nice house in the country for less than 1 million baht and a new car for 600-700,000- baht. Monthly exenses of 40-50,000- baht would cover and provide for a very reasonable life in Thailand (outside bangkok).

Also agreed dont come to Thailand and start lending money (to family or friends) or start a business and you would be fine.

I understand you situation as my Aunt who lives in the land of the Picts is in a similar situation and i have done comparisons for her on what it would cost her here vs there and she understand she could be very comfortable in Thailand vs being quite restricted at home.

Everyone has their own situation but from a financial perspective you would be fine with some money management.

all the best in your endeavors.