Lamai

MakTB

While I was living in Chaweng last year, I was hearing all these great things about Lamai. How the beach was better and the nightlife.

I have moved to the other side of Lamai (Hua Thannon) and visit Lamai often due to it's close proxmity. What I have been wondering is what was all the fuss about? I find Lamai, whith the exception of the market, dead! There is nothing of interest there. I find I now travel further and head back to Chaweng or even Nathon for shopping etc. as Lamai has nothing at all.

So what I'm asking really is, am I missing something here? or do you agree?

MakTB

Yep I agree, the beach is nicer, especially at the south end where its really really quiet. But Lamai itself is pretty lame, no decent restaurants and only a couple of decent bars (depending on what you like) - Lava Lounge on the beach road is pleasant.

Mind you, I think its a bit weird that you moved over that way without really forming your own decisions about that area first. I would have gone on some fact finding missions first if I were you.

Anyway its a small island, hop on the bike and go somewhere more interesting :o

Mind you, I think its a bit weird that you moved over that way without really forming your own decisions about that area first.  I would have gone on some fact finding missions first if I were you.

hehe, yeah your right, problem was I was back in the UK when my wife decided to move us over. Where we are is nice and peaceful but not good for shopping etc. I just wished that Lamai had a bit more then what it's got.

well i do agree lamai hasn't got alot of good places for shopping and western eating but on the other hand it's not as mad and over flowing as chaweng so it gives you time to see what is going on and hey the beach is more relaxing,so you get the best of both worlds lamai for taking it easy and chaweng for feeling like your back in the western rat race.

well back in samui next tuesday and guess where i'am staying............???????? :o

well i do agree lamai hasn't got alot of good places for shopping and western eating but on the other hand it's not as mad and over flowing as chaweng so it gives you time to see what is going on and hey the beach is more relaxing,so you get the best of both worlds lamai for taking it easy and chaweng for feeling like your back in the western rat race.

well back in samui next tuesday and guess where i'am staying............???????? :o

I understand what your saying but Lipa Noi beach is by far better and quieter than Lamai and the thai food in Lamai is :D

IMHO the north of Samui is best, Maenam, Bophud, Ban Rak, Choengmon.

All within near proximity of shopping (lotus) and not far away from Chaweng.

If your aim is to visit as many beer bars as possible, Lamai will be your first option tho.

Well is mainly been said, for me Lamai has no vibe, it does have a great beach if you like beaches with no people on them, as opposed to Chawengs cooking beach, I like Bahaus steak house (or whatever) as a retreat into western kitsch catering, a couple of promising looking discos that I have read are full of freelancers though never been, and of course all those beer bars which I wouldn't think would go down too well with lady companions (farang), however worth a visit if you are in Chaweng over two weeks.

Lamai is way better then Chaweng . The beach is still relative unspoiled ( getting worse by putting beachchairs and umbrellas everywhere ) and you'll find great food ( espescially Thai ) . If you don't find good Thai food in Lamai , it is because you don't know where to be . Lamai is small , so indeed if you are not really like that , Chaweng is much better . Shopping is better in Chaweng and so is the choice of restaurants , but the atmosphere is way better and more relax in Lamai .

I agree totally with Mikeybee ...

The beach is still relative unspoiled ( getting worse by putting beachchairs and umbrellas everywhere )

Have you been on the beach recently Pyros - its awful at the moment, the south end near the rocks is being washed away and the sand left has gone down, really weird. And there are two smashed up boats littering the beach, not to mention all the bottles and glass etc that gets washed down every time it rains.

Not a pretty sight at the moment :o

The beach is still relative unspoiled ( getting worse by putting beachchairs and umbrellas everywhere )

Have you been on the beach recently Pyros - its awful at the moment, the south end near the rocks is being washed away and the sand left has gone down, really weird. And there are two smashed up boats littering the beach, not to mention all the bottles and glass etc that gets washed down every time it rains.

Not a pretty sight at the moment :D

About 1.5 months ago ... it is getting worse ,i told that . The glass and bottles have been there always :o as far as i know of . during daytime many times people take glass away from the beach and next day it is there again . Always from people at night who go on the beach , drink and do other stuff and the just leave their bottles there . Lucky we got rainy season on it's way and sand is washed away always that time of year . Brings a lot of garbage on the beach but after a while it get "clean" again because the sand is washed and putted back on shore ... just tidal movement . If Lamai didn't have it , i think the beach was a lot worse .

What does Lamai have?

The Ovada show band!! . One of the best I have seen in Thailand, apart from in the Hard rock cafe in Bangkok.

They are Phillipino and have two gorgeous chicks on vocals, lead and bass guitar.

(they also play Chaweng, Tropical Murphy's a couple of times a week).

Davethailand, you should check them out when on Samui again.

Great music, great eye candy. :o

At least Lamai doesn't flood with knee-high black(smelly) water everytime it rains;witness 2 weeks ago in Chaweng where several cars were abandoned because the water was so deep if flooded 'em....(not to mention the motorcyclists who either fell off trying to ride through it or were stranded until it subsided). Imagine what a farce the music festival will be if no-one can get down Chaweng high street.... :o