Voip On Smartphone

4evermaat

I wanted to only use my smartphone for this and not my laptop. I was curious to know what kind of quality you are receiving? And what application you were using to connect. Also, what kind of rates are we getting. I have an account with callcentric.com and i can use several SIP dialers. I think I will go with cSipSimple.

Only If yr mobile is connected to Wifi :rolleyes:

Sipdroid works well on Android phone and on Windows mobile u can use Gizmo

For competitive rates check this http://backsla.sh/betamax

There have been some emerging products, such as mo-call.com that initiate calls either via text or using your phones data (a few kb) and the GSM network to make the call. You only pay for the cost of the local call + the rate the secondary provider quotes. And if you get incomming calls for free (like thailand) then you can save money that way. Anyone tried something like this?

Skype works very well, good quality. but you need 3G or wifi, no crappy Edge.

I may retry skype, as they allow 1-800 #s calls for free. I uninstalled it, because there was no way to shut the application down completely other than killing the application manually.. It seems to have an always on thing once you launch the program, not a feature I like.

Fring is also quite good.

Android 2.3x will have native VOIP support thankfully. VOIP in and out of Thailand is a bit of a crapshoot sadly :(

The native support for the current 2.3 is lacking a lot of basic features to custimize how to connect to your SIP provider. This will probably be addressed with newer 2.3.xx

I can confirm that callcentric.com combination with cSipSimple works very well over the CAT CDMA Mifi connection, at least for outbound calls which is mostly what i use it for.

I may retry skype, as they allow 1-800 #s calls for free. I uninstalled it, because there was no way to shut the application down completely other than killing the application manually.. It seems to have an always on thing once you launch the program, not a feature I like.

Actually you can sign out and turn off Skype on android; it's just not well signposted. I had the same concerns until timekeeper pointed out the way to go.

I just signed up for a US Skype number so people can call me when I am traveling. I am offshore Philippines and all voice/internet is via 256kb vSat and the Skype VOIP quality over that is surprisingly good. Raises some eyebrows when they see me taking a 'regular' phone call while 150 miles offshore!

using Nokia 5800 with Skype. It works very well with the Wifi Network on True in BKK and TOT in Nakhon Si Thammerat.

Sometime the call drops, sometimes the quality is bad and I have to call again, but over all it is acceptable.