To Own A Bar, Do I Need To Get Married?

HardBanger

Hi, I'm just wondering: To buy and run a bar or restaurant in Thailand, is it necessary to get married to a Thai girl? I'm not comfortable with her owning my main asset. I know it's possible to acquire a "work permit," but that sounds like a huge hassle. Is there a minimum amount of money in the bank i would need to get married & buy a business? If I have to get married, I will. I'm just wondering if that is the big hassle I think it will be.

No, it is not necessary to be married to a Thai. But most certainly to own and run such a business needs a work permit and to get one of those you need to set up a Thai company. If you are married then the company need only employ two (2) Thai staff, if single then the company need to employ four (4) Thai staff.

Usually you will need to have around two (2) million baht registered capital (not paid up) and paid up capital of around twenty (20) to twenty five (25) percent of the registered capital. Once the company is official the paid up capital can be used as operating funds for the company.

There are many people more knowledgeable than I am in this respect so expect many more responses.