Gary Moore

Bizz

Know this is not Thai related but letting you music lovers know the sad news R.I.P. Gary

Gary Moore (1952 – 2011) dies in Spain

06 Feb 2011

Hot Press has learned of the death of Gary Moore. The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain.

One of the greatest players of his generation, Gary Moore began his professional career in his teens. He was still only sixteen years of age when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row – originally a four-piece that featured Brush Shiels on bass, Nollaig Bridgeman on drums and Philip Lynott as lead vocalist, as well as Gary on lead guitar.

Soon afterwards, Philip Lynott was sidelined, with Brush and Gary sharing vocals, turning Skid Row into a power-trio of the kind that was in vogue at the time, following on the success of Rory Gallagher's Taste and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Skid Row were signed to CBS Records and released two albums, Skid in 1970 and 34 Hours in 1971.

Adept at blues, hard rock and jazz, Moore was also a superb, lyrical, melodic guitar player and featured on a number of other Irish albums in cameo roles, including records by Dr.Strangely Strange among others. He was drafted into Thin Lizzy by Philip Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, before the formation of the definitive 4-piece Lizzy line-up, with Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson on twin lead guitars. However, on the Nightlife album (1974), he played the extraordinary solo on 'Still In Love With You', which became one of Thin Lizzy's most enduring tracks and a perennial live favourite. Gary returned to the Lizzy line-up briefly again, when Brian Robertson was ruled out of a US tour in 1977. Moore also featured on the Lizzy album Black Rose, released in 1979.

"He was a genius player," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes said. "Even as a teenager, he had something special about him and throughout his career he worked really hard at improving his technique. His contribution to the Irish rock canon was immense, both in his own solo work, his days with Skid Row, the great records he recorded with Philip Lynott and with Thin Lizzy and in various other cameos. My heart goes out to all of his close friends and family. It is a huge loss."

While his relationship with Lizzy lead singer and songwriter Philip Lynott was hugely competitive, and there were often disagreements between them, they remained musical cohorts, and joined forces for the hit single 'Parisienne Walkways' (1979) on which Philip sang and the later single, 'Out In The Fields' (1985), which reached No.5 in the UK charts.

While he featured along the way as part of Jon Hiseman in Colosseum II, for most of his career Gary Moore led his own band, shifting between hard rock, metal, jazz-influenced fusion music and the blues. The first Gary Moore Band LP, Grinding Stone, was released in 1973. In recent years he had returned to his roots, first with the release of Still Got The Blues in 1991 and later with Back To The Blues, in 2001. In all, he released 20 studio albums, as well as six live collections, including the Live At Montreaux DVD.

May he rest in peace

http://www.hotpress.com/news/7492280.html

Was at the Reading Rock Festival when I was about 17 (1979 ish)....Thin Lizzy were supposed to play but Moore didn't turn up so they didn't play. To hell with Moore for me (seems a bit harsh, but I was really looking forward to seeing Lizzy).

Was at the Reading Rock Festival when I was about 17 (1979 ish)....Thin Lizzy were supposed to play but Moore didn't turn up so they didn't play. To hell with Moore for me (seems a bit harsh, but I was really looking forward to seeing Lizzy).

BBMICK

Here are the memories for you and be a nice guy and not wish Gary to go to hell that's not nice.

Last up were replacement headliners The Scorpions , who were deputizing for Thin Lizzy . They proved to be highly energetic hard rockers who electrified the crowd with their onstage presence and high octane riffing and they were invited back to no less than two encores . Given that most of the crowd would have been unfamiliar with their music and were no doubt there to see Lizzy, this Reading debut could be described as a triumph .

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-79.html

Made me think about that summer. Trains from home (Northern Ireland)...down through England...ferry to Holland...hitched hiked from Amsterdam to Paris...back to England to visit some relatives and ended up at the Reading Rock Festival. Still had a great time. Think the first time Police played live. Someone called Nils Lofgren bouncing across the stage, Peter Gabriel, most of it's a blur. Good time (apart from Thin Lizzy!!)

Come on now...I wasn't condemning him to hell (I'm not God)...I was being dismissive...His fault I missed Thin Lizzy!

You should thank him. The Scorpions were better anyway. :D

The Scorpions better than Lizzy?! lolz, <deleted>!? blink.gif

The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain.

Imagine how long this thread would be if he'd died in his sleep in Thailand. The "foul play" Thai bashers would be out in force.

RIP Gary.

Very sad news. Another one joins that Great Gig in the Sky. Got to see him once in Finsbury Park, he was a warm up for Neal Young. For me his greatest work was when he joined up with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce for the BBM Album.

R.I.P

jb1