Just Moved - Looking For A Few Basics

JosephMcCann

Hey so have finally moved to bangkok!!!! - man it was years planning but made it!

Anyway although I eat a huge mix of different cuisine and cook alot, headed to Big C got most the stuff i need but soon came to realise I'm missing a few of the usual basics bits I'd get in ever shop in the UK

If you could point me in the right direction to get any of the following (im guessing maybe a market?) or tell me if I need to scrub these off my list

1) The humble potato, I did find some in Big C - the the quality was shocking, all where sprouting (im guessing because there imported?)... any good for mashing, baking

2) Cheeeeeeese!!!!! can't believe the cost - do you know anywhere reasonable for a extra mature cheddar and a stilton?

3) Onions, again i did see some in Big C but really low quality again

4) Mixed peppers - seemed pretty pricey, maybe i can get somewhere cheaper?

5) Herbs, Spices - I'm guessing this wont be a prob at all over here. However Big C was really limited

Any help would be handy - im guessing a pointer to a good market (I'm in sathon)

Cheers

Welcome to Thailand !

The potatoes actually mash up very well - just add some butter and milk. Mainly Dutch imports through China it seems. Makro are usually best at around 37 Baht a kilo - 32 baht for 10 kilos.

Villa Market may be worth a try for mature cheese and Foodland have Stilton/blue cheeses. Expensive and not top of the tree (I bring Lake District Extra mature in from UK - arroy mak mak!). Emporium will have a decent selection (at a price) and TOPS is always worth a try.

If you take a trip to Pattaya try Friendship and Best supermarkets.

The potatoes actually mash up very well - just add some butter and milk

.... and cheese!

(I bring Lake District Extra mature in from UK - arroy mak mak!).

I have been considering that actually - How are you shipping it accros?

Hmm - in my suitcase :whistling:.

3.5 kilo a go, 3 times a year. (plus Colmans mustard, mint sauce, sage & onion stuffing, Atora suet, TESCO batterr pudding mix, Branston pickle - crazy price in Thailand - Danish Blue, oh! and, of course, Jamesons whisky).

I would put villa on your list, but expensive. just wait till you are here a little longer and you are going find allot of other stuff you are not thinking about right now that you will want. Yes, Cheese is expensive. potatoes are not the best but ok. Actually most of the potatoes are grown in Thailand with the seeds coming from the USA and they import allot from the USA. (Thailand produces potatoes chips for a good portion of the Asia market)

Anyway glad you made it, have fun..

I would put villa on your list, but expensive. just wait till you are here a little longer and you are going find allot of other stuff you are not thinking about right now that you will want. Yes, Cheese is expensive. potatoes are not the best but ok. Actually most of the potatoes are grown in Thailand with the seeds coming from the USA and they import allot from the USA. (Thailand produces potatoes chips for a good portion of the Asia market)

Anyway glad you made it, have fun..

I was told by European potato merchant that the Chiang Mai potatoes original from Scotland.

I use the Chinese imports commercially and they make great mash. I wouldn't bother to chip them because Makro have crinkle cut 12mm chips and steak chips that are excellent value - and consistent.

Welcome to Thailand !

The potatoes actually mash up very well - just add some butter and milk. Mainly Dutch imports through China it seems. Makro are usually best at around 37 Baht a kilo - 32 baht for 10 kilos.

Villa Market may be worth a try for mature cheese and Foodland have Stilton/blue cheeses. Expensive and not top of the tree (I bring Lake District Extra mature in from UK - arroy mak mak!). Emporium will have a decent selection (at a price) and TOPS is always worth a try.

If you take a trip to Pattaya try Friendship and Best supermarkets.

Sweet Potatoes from Japan , was all i could find at Makro 59 Baht a kilo very nice for chips, and ,mash.

Rgrds

Boyce

Hmm - in my suitcase :whistling:.

Good Job! - but I'm guessing you run the risk of getting stopped at customs and having it confiscated?

Hmmm, I'm thinking who might want to come and visit me first and bring substantial amounts of cheese

Has anyone ever been stopped? I must have come into BKK over a hundred times in the last 10 years. never stopped. I doubt they would confiscate personal consumption stuff anyway unless it was a food hygiene or plant disease issue.

Makro has all of that, fresh, good quality and the best prices in Pattaya.

As are all the Makro's I have found.

Once every 3 months, I make a day of shopping for farang food. My tour takes me to Foodland, Tops, Makro, and the larger Tescos in Bkk.

In these places, I stock up for 3 months worth on the items I cannot get in our local Tesco and Thai markets. For kitchen accessories, I have found, in the upper scale dept stores the things that Tesco and local places don't stock. The key is if you dont find something in particular at one name outlet, don't assume all the outlets of same name wont have it. It appears to me that each store has some flexibility in what they stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Its almost that time of the month again - so will be trying as many out as possible in the hunt!

actually another thing i struggled with is herbs and spices - all i could find in tesco, big c was oregano, steak seasoning.

I'm told little india (or whatever its called) is a good place to try?

Its almost that time of the month again - so will be trying as many out as possible in the hunt!

actually another thing i struggled with is herbs and spices - all i could find in tesco, big c was oregano, steak seasoning.

I'l repeat the advice above, Makro! Makro has a very good selection of herbs and spices, whole and ground.

If you want to know about Little India, look at my many posts in International Food. Excellent place, love it. Bill

I'l repeat the advice above, Makro! Makro has a very good selection of herbs and spices, whole and ground.

Yep makro is on the list also - just realised there is one pretty close by, so will be making a trip during the week!

Little india Id also check because it sounds a really interesting place

My friend from the netherlands always let real gouda cheese come whit dhl or any other post company in the netherlands.

He always recieved it and never had problems,last time he recieved 20 kilo cheese from The netherlands by TNT,

Just see if the sending costs are worth it,

Kind regards

Charan kamluan