Any One Lived In New Zealand...?

Mumbo Jumbo

HI , Ive had an e.mail from a friend in the USA, who is thinking of moving to New Zealand, or may be Thailand , he's been to Thailand but not NZ, and he's asked me if I know any one who has lived in NZ , to try and get some feed back as to the way of life there...? any forum readers who have lived in NZ could you offer some " comments about life there..?

Thanks .... Mumbo

Hmmm

ok from an expat Aucklander living in Sydney.

Nice place to retire!!!

Nice People

Rains a lot

Best Rugby team in the world

Auckland one of the most beautiful harbours in the world.

Bay of Islands,fantastic and great fishing.

South Island....simply spectacular.

Quiet living,nice restaurants,great food ,clean green scenery,clean air,not too crowded.

Work ops limited unless you want to buy yourself a job.

Labour Govt !,political correctness gone overboard.

450k of us living in Aus!!!

Hmm prob Queenslands better

Three months a year its beautiful....feb march and april.

Xena comes from NZ.

HI , Ive had an e.mail from a friend in the USA, who is thinking of moving to New Zealand,  or may be Thailand , he's been to Thailand but not NZ, and he's asked me if I know any one who has lived  in NZ , to try and get some feed back as to the way of life there...? any forum readers who have lived in NZ  could you offer some " comments about life there..? 

Thanks .... Mumbo

Hmmm

ok from an expat Aucklander living in Sydney.

Nice place to retire!!!

Nice People

Rains a lot

Best Rugby team in the world

Auckland one of the most beautiful harbours in the world.

Bay of Islands,fantastic and great fishing.

South Island....simply spectacular.

Quiet living,nice restaurants,great food ,clean green scenery,clean air,not too crowded.

Work ops limited unless you want to buy yourself a job.

Labour Govt !,political correctness gone overboard.

450k of us living in Aus!!!

Hmm prob Queenslands better

Three months a year its beautiful....feb march and april.

Xena comes from NZ.

Gotta agree with most of these. I lived in NZ for a year. Firstly. How old is your friend? Is he married? Kids? The reason i ask is. Nz is one of the most diverse and beautiful countries i have been to. But if you are young then it can be boring unless you have bit of money to do stuff. But saying that if you like the outdoors. There is loads of trecks and walks you can do. I lived in Auckland. Nice clean city. But souless.IMHO. Bangkok has much more character but its dirrty and not the prettiest city. But i'd pick it over Auckland. BUT! If you have kids. Then i'd say NZ is one of the best countries in the world you could bring them up in. Very clean and open spaces. 2nd everything about the Bay of Islands and down South(but less jobs). Great people aswell. Many of my good friends live or come from there. Hope this helps in some way. Cheers.

I go to NZ regularly, and would go more often if they didn't restrict me to 6months in any 12 months. Stunningly beautiful countryside, very friendly people, cheap property but becoming more expensive, especially as the NZdollar is now buying 30% more sterling than it did 3 years ago. Bay of Islands is just heaven on earth. The boating/sailing is incredible.

Immigration has become more difficult. 3 years ago I could have bought a B&B and got in on a Business Visa. Now I would need to invest over $4million NZD to get in. Can still get in on a skills basis, provided that you are younger than 56yrs.

Warning: Take a woman with you because the sheep are better looking than most NZ women, and have better teeth.

The climate is perfect especially in the north of North Island. Travelling around requires a car as the public transport out of the main areas such as Auckland, Wellington etc.. is non existent. Freedom camping is permitted throughout the country so use of a rental Motor Home to look around is ideal.

I agree with the previous poster about young people... it must be so boring living in the counrtyside especially. Maybe that's why NZ invented a lot of Extreme Sports, and the concept of dating sheep. :o

Everyone should see NZ for themselves. I don't know of anyone having gone there and not loved the place.

Cheers, Rick

Yes New zealanders are definitely managing Australian business now,just look at David Kirk taking over Fairfax.Graham Hart with Burns Philp and Goodman Fielder etc.Ralph Norris New CEO commbank.

Aussies need us!!! :D

Hmmm as for the sheep thing,I am reliably told scotland has more sheep per head of population than anywhere else in the world and the men wear skirts to make it easier. :D (sorry Jockstar)

Good point re kids a great place,couldnt think why you would bring up a kid in Thailand.

Your friends need to know that it is a requirement for all New Zulanders to eventually move to Australia as part of a conspiricy to drive Aussies mad and boost the IQ level of themselves.  :o

I am born and raised in NZL, and 1 quarter thai to boot (mother is half thai).My wife is thai too(and a NZL citizen). We decided to choose live in NZL as our main home base and spend time at our house in LOS for a few months each year when we feel like being there.

These our our reasons for liking Auckland,NZL :

1) financial security(banking,insurance,investments etc...)

2) stable political climate

3) physical safety

4) rugby :o ..my wife would say Dan Carter

5) outdoor activities,adventure sports

6) south island drives

7) proximity to South Pacific Islands,beaches

8) proximity to Sydney where we have various friends,business engagements

9) nice roads (I like driving my sports car the way it is supposed to be driven)

10) limited corruption

11) a long way from america :D

12) great fresh food and produce

13) generally laid back folk, more so in the South Island

14) climate reasonably temperate, but provides for an eclectic mix of winter and summer sports/activities.

15) good education system

16) great healthcare

gosh...I could go on and on.

check out the NZL IMMIGRATION website on how to migrate and get permanent residency.

Has your friend ever been to Alaska? If so then he'll have a very good idea of what he can expect from New Zealand!

1) financial security(banking,insurance,investments etc...)
Ditto Alaska -- and they give you free money, too!
2) stable political climate
Ditto Alaska!
3) physical safety
Disagree: there's a lot of hostility in NZ.
4) rugby :o ..my wife would say Dan Carter
Irrelevant to his American friend.
5) outdoor activities,adventure sports
Ditto.
6) south island drives
In Alaska you can drive all the way to Russia!

11) a long way from america :D

Ditto!

check out the NZL IMMIGRATION website on how to migrate and get permanent residency.

There's a easily to understand point system but basically: unless your friend's sitting on a mint forget about legal immigration to NZ.

3) physical safety
Disagree: there's a lot of hostility in NZ.

I guess this depends alot on where you go and what you do. If you hit the bars on Queen St on a Friday night you'll see more hostility than you would dining out at Antoines in Parnell. So it is situational. Like anywhere in the world really.Personally I dont feel hostility in NZ, then again I'm not really very reactionary or observant of hostile acts, so my gauge may be a little bias.

Lived on the north island for several years. Wellington has a great pub scene, and lots of vibrance, but crappy weather. Auckland is boring, but nearby alot of great places, the north is amazing with great fishing and sailing on the east coast, and good surfing 30min away on the west coast.

cv

Your friends need to know that it is a requirement for all New Zulanders to eventually move to Australia as part of a conspiricy to drive Aussies mad and boost the IQ level of themselves.  :o

No, the Old Croc has it 100% wrong.Every time a Kiwi goes to Aussie the countries IQ raises buy 50%.

The only bad thing is that they pinch our sportsmen and call them thier own.I suppose that's ok considering they used to be a bunch of soap-dodging crims to start with. :D:D

Yes New zealanders are definitely managing Australian business now,just look at David Kirk taking over Fairfax.Graham Hart with Burns Philp and Goodman Fielder etc.Ralph Norris New CEO commbank.

Aussies need us!!! 

And than, there is Lion Nathan taking over our Brewerys.

Nice country, I really enjoyed my stay over there. Your friend could do alot worse.

HI , Ive had an e.mail from a friend in the USA, who is thinking of moving to New Zealand,  or may be Thailand , he's been to Thailand but not NZ, and he's asked me if I know any one who has lived  in NZ , to try and get some feed back as to the way of life there...? any forum readers who have lived in NZ  could you offer some " comments about life there..? 

Thanks .... Mumbo

No-one has ever "lived" in NZ

HI , Ive had an e.mail from a friend in the USA, who is thinking of moving to New Zealand,  or may be Thailand , he's been to Thailand but not NZ, and he's asked me if I know any one who has lived  in NZ , to try and get some feed back as to the way of life there...? any forum readers who have lived in NZ   could you offer some " comments about life there..? 

Thanks .... Mumbo

No-one has ever "lived" in NZ

:o

I am "staying" there at the moment

Wellington - on a nice day one of the prettiest places in the world. Lived there in 1992. Last time went in 2000 and it changed for better. However, in the street where theatres are (can't remember it's name now) there were 20 doner kebab shops. Before, there were none.

Funny how one American tourist described the city: "Half the size of New Yourk city cemetary and twice as dead".

But it's pretty. (Don't mention the wind.)

wellington.jpg

Wellington

Yes the most boring place in NZ

Like Canberra in AUS.

Full of public servants and buearaucrats who think they have built the culture capital of NZ.

Grow a beard,take your cardigan and sandles and socks. :o

Wellington - on a nice day one of the prettiest places in the world. Lived there in 1992. Last time went in 2000 and it changed for better. However, in the street where theatres are (can't remember it's name now) there were 20 doner kebab shops. Before, there were none.

Funny how one American tourist described the city: "Half the size of New Yourk city cemetary and twice as dead".

But it's pretty. (Don't mention the wind.)

wellington.jpg